Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 02:05 PM

579 posts, read 1,210,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sorry, but I lived there for 30 years. Every summer I'd haver to evacuate and head for the Calif. coast due to the July-Aug. heat wave. I couldn't hack it.
Before we moved here, we spent the last several summers vacationing here and in San Francisco to avoid the desert southwest heat. But what's that saying? The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco? Not quite that extreme, but we usually spent time in San Fran or Seattle to avoid the desert heat of July. One year we left with temps around 119 and arrived with temps around 65. I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 06:40 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Sorry, but I lived there for 30 years. Every summer I'd haver to evacuate and head for the Calif. coast due to the July-Aug. heat wave. I couldn't hack it.

Nope, I lived in Seattle for over 30 years and do not remember these "heat waves" you speak of. Sure it can get toasty..........but compared to the rest of the country....child's play.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:19 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
I have lived here since the day I was born. 27 years, 3 months, and 21 days. The most heat wave we get here is a few days to maybe a week in the mid to high 80s with lower 90s being possible. Some summers only get one such heat wave, others will see two.

The last couple of summers have been unusually cloudy and cool. I remember as a kid having clear blue skies and temperatures in the 70s (and the occasional day or two of lower 80s in the mix) for several weeks on end every summer.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:07 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Please God, give us back our cold summer days, dark clouds and rain! 60 degrees will do just fine. Please, no more sun, -it's just too bright and hot.
Go hide under a rock. You'll feel right at home.

Quote:
Quoted for truth. California coast is the place to be. None of that nasty opressive Seattle heat.
YUCK!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
I have lived here since the day I was born. 27 years, 3 months, and 21 days. The most heat wave we get here is a few days to maybe a week in the mid to high 80s with lower 90s being possible. Some summers only get one such heat wave, others will see two.

The last couple of summers have been unusually cloudy and cool. I remember as a kid having clear blue skies and temperatures in the 70s (and the occasional day or two of lower 80s in the mix) for several weeks on end every summer.

Your memory is lacking.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:58 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Go hide under a rock. You'll feel right at home.

Quoted for truth. California coast is the place to be. None of that nasty opressive Seattle heat.
YUCK!

Your memory is lacking.
Why are you here? Every post I've read from you is pretty much the equivalent of, "Those kids better get off my lawn!"

To hang around talking about a place you despise is just bizarre. Why not just stand on the corner and have neighborhood kids kick you in the shins instead?

Old 08-08-2012, 08:50 AM

260 posts, read 768,664 times
I just love it that I am amongst my own here in Seattle. I think through attrition of those who cannot bear the gray skies, the only ones left in Seattle are the cool weather lovers. I just never understood the weather people describing 80- 90 degree days as beautiful. urg. Give me those clouds. i suffered from heat exhaustion, sun headaches and skin cancer for so many years. i love the weather here....okay a few cool but sunny days would be nice in February but there are always getaways for that. Love ya, Seattle.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:16 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,896 times
snopes.com: Mark Twain on Coldest Winter

That's indeed the saying, although Mark Twain never actually said it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhunting View Post
But what's that saying? The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco?

Old 08-08-2012, 01:33 PM

33 posts, read 65,081 times
Default Just left the Midwest oven

Yes, it does get a little tough to bear 85°+ daily highs, when your home does not have AC, or an attic fan, at least. We just moved back here, from St. Louis, where we lived for four years. Compared to such a moderate, maritime climate as we have in the Pacific Northwest, it really is miserable there, because the summers are very long, generally heating up in May and often not cooling off until mid-October.
Here, in Western WA, when we do get those 1-5 day hot spells, your best option is to put fans in the windows, and crank 'em up after sunset, to pull in that cooler air. If you're lucky, you might start sleeping comfortably around 3am. I did, however, bring back one window-AC unit, from the apt we lived in, our first summer in St. Louis. I'll probably save it for next year, since we're still in limbo, living in someone's cool basement studio.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:51 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Your memory is lacking.
No I don't think it is. The summer days were definitely sunnier, and there were much more of them, than what we have been seeing in recent years.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:00 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SitoUK View Post
Come on people, this is maybe 3 days per year...get out of the house and enjoy the sunshine while it lasts. I am not quite sure why anyone would need an AC is this part of the world
I'm with you. Enjoy the sunshine because you will beg for it come show it's face in the winter. Yes, it was hot but it's a welcoming change from my perspective. Summers are suppose to be warm not cloudy and 60's. Yuk! Bring on the sun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area