Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:51 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,123 times

Advertisements

Pft. Houston is only there because of it's strength during the economy and a lot of the 'cool' people have been forced to move there just to have a job... Couldn't pay me enough to EVER move there again. It'll never be cool, literally or figuratively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 12:20 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,472,970 times
Isn't Steve Forbes the editor? The guy who ran for president on the flat tax issue? One can only speculate what he thinks is cool. Relative density of urban cowboys?

Old 08-17-2012, 11:09 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Isn't Steve Forbes the editor? The guy who ran for president on the flat tax issue? One can only speculate what he thinks is cool. Relative density of urban cowboys?
I don't know, that tie is pretty sweet.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:38 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,472,970 times
What all "cool guys" are wearing.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:39 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randevan View Post
Oakland at #6? For those wearing a bullet-proof vest perhaps.
Most of Oakland is pretty safe, and it's got booming arts, bar, club, and dining scenes that have been bolstered by San Francisco's increasingly-rising COL, which has priced out a lot of young people.

In any case, Forbes' lists are almost uniformly some of the most arbitrary "top __" lists out there. They make no sense a lot of the time.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:43 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,328,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkiefer07 View Post
Houston? Dallas? Really? Austin, I could see, but not Houston and Dallas. Hell, San Antonio is way cooler than either of these. Consider the source...Forbes may know what it's talking about when it comes to money issues, but not "cool". Oh wait, is that how Forbes measures cool?
Nah. Forbes doesn't do a good job of picking stocks either.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:19 PM

328 posts, read 838,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
Pft. Houston is only there because of it's strength during the economy and a lot of the 'cool' people have been forced to move there just to have a job... Couldn't pay me enough to EVER move there again. It'll never be cool, literally or figuratively.
...and they will go to Austin or New Orleans if they really want 'cool'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Nah. Forbes doesn't do a good job of picking stocks either.
Touche!

Old 08-17-2012, 09:26 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,605,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randevan View Post
Oakland at #6? For those wearing a bullet-proof vest perhaps.
Oakland is cool.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:52 PM

182 posts, read 323,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I don't know about those ratings. Houston and Dallas are cooler than Seattle?
Do people move to Dallas for it's coolness factor?
A friend of mine moved to Dallas from Scotland years ago. It was the first American city he had been to and was not his destination on that trip (I believe he had planned on going further west). He liked it so much that he made it his home that very day and lived there for the next 9 years.

According to him, it's a very cosmpolitan city with tons of nightlife, music, arts, everything. I kept asking, "are you sure you're talking about Dallas?" But he swears up and down that people would be shocked if they lived there. He's been or lived in New York, San Francisco, Boston, etc, but preferred Dallas over all of them. It may in fact rate pretty high on the coolness factor.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:30 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,328,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoSD? View Post
A friend of mine moved to Dallas from Scotland years ago. It was the first American city he had been to and was not his destination on that trip (I believe he had planned on going further west). He liked it so much that he made it his home that very day and lived there for the next 9 years.

According to him, it's a very cosmpolitan city with tons of nightlife, music, arts, everything. I kept asking, "are you sure you're talking about Dallas?" But he swears up and down that people would be shocked if they lived there. He's been or lived in New York, San Francisco, Boston, etc, but preferred Dallas over all of them. It may in fact rate pretty high on the coolness factor.
I've never been to Dallas, but it certainly has a huge population. Houston is the only major city in the country with an openly lesbian mayor. That gives it a little cool cred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area