Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 01:50 PM

3 posts, read 15,453 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Seattle from NC. Having 2 kids: age 7 and 4. The company provides 2 months of temporary housing, and during that 2 months we hopefully will find some place to rent in. This will definitely take time to find a good balance of shorter commute(office in DT Seattle South Lake Union), good neighborhood, and excellent school district. So we probably will have to put my 7 yr old to whatever school the temporary house is located at, then 1 or 2 months later, we have to move to the rental house and he has to change school again.

Another option will be I go to Seattle alone and stay in the temp for a few weeks, find a house for rent in a good neighborhood /school district before getting my family up here. But both my husband, who has home office, and myself, would rather going together because we can’t imagine how my two boys feel without me for 2 months!

Any suggestions on where to rent with a budget of $2,500/month and excellent Elementary school district + reasonable commute to SLU in DT (door to door ideally less than 45 minutes), and 3br 2bath SF or town house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 09:04 PM

33 posts, read 58,030 times
Wallingford, John stanford school.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:22 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by August2012 View Post
We are relocating to Seattle from NC. Having 2 kids: age 7 and 4. The company provides 2 months of temporary housing, and during that 2 months we hopefully will find some place to rent in. This will definitely take time to find a good balance of shorter commute(office in DT Seattle South Lake Union), good neighborhood, and excellent school district. So we probably will have to put my 7 yr old to whatever school the temporary house is located at, then 1 or 2 months later, we have to move to the rental house and he has to change school again.

Another option will be I go to Seattle alone and stay in the temp for a few weeks, find a house for rent in a good neighborhood /school district before getting my family up here. But both my husband, who has home office, and myself, would rather going together because we can’t imagine how my two boys feel without me for 2 months!

Any suggestions on where to rent with a budget of $2,500/month and excellent Elementary school district + reasonable commute to SLU in DT (door to door ideally less than 45 minutes), and 3br 2bath SF or town house?
We just basically did the same move. I'm assuming your another Amazon family. I stayed behind with our kids for 4 months. My spouse came home for a few weekends (we came from the other coast). We decided moving the kids twice wasn't worth it. When all was settled the kids and I came out. It seemed the best option for us (but I was sort of losing my mind for a while). We ended up buying in Queen Anne and have been very happy so far. Also the area where my spouse ended up in temporary housing was not a good place for children (okay for a week or so). It was painful for a while but worth it in the end. In the past we have moved our kids mid year for school (we did not this time due to the timing). Pulling them out mid year has worked better for us. The kids get into the swing of school quickly and the transition is pretty minimal. Plus its nice to be the new kid for a while. Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: