Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 02:38 AM

376 posts, read 652,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Really well said and totally agree. Seattle is a bookworm city, gloomy northern weather, liberal and alternative, granola and grungy. The people do look plainer there, and it's not an illusion to me either. It is true it also attracts people from other parts of the country who are more into intellect than image. The SF Bay area is like that too.

Do agree you generally see better looking people in the South and Midwest though.
I grew up in the South and have lived near Seattle for years. I think UP's normally get ignored unless they do something interesting. My impression is that Southern girls put more attention to their appearance and look better when they're younger. However, becasue Seattleites have a greater emphasis on eating vegetarian and healthy, there's a point when the body shape will trump any amount of effort spent on make-up and clothing. When that point is reached, Seattle trumps most Southern cities above say age 35....Austin is probably an exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 03:01 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
maybe it depends on how you measure intelligence. in general, i know that it's not always true but i guess i measure it with diplomas, SAT scores, tech jobs, etc. i.e., i usually say that a google software engineer is likely to be smarter than a hollywood b-level actor.
So ostensibly you are saying that people from most Asian countries are smarter than the US.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:07 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tiger View Post
I grew up in the South and have lived near Seattle for years. I think UP's normally get ignored unless they do something interesting. My impression is that Southern girls put more attention to their appearance and look better when they're younger. However, becasue Seattleites have a greater emphasis on eating vegetarian and healthy, there's a point when the body shape will trump any amount of effort spent on make-up and clothing. When that point is reached, Seattle trumps most Southern cities above say age 35....Austin is probably an exception.
lol Good point. The brighter candle burns out faster. haha

Old 10-27-2012, 02:57 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
So ostensibly you are saying that people from most Asian countries are smarter than the US.
well maybe...but the US still has the best universities in the world and most of the Professors are not Asian.

The CEOs of most of these tech companies are also non Asian.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:13 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times
Just returned from 2 weeks in both the Seattle and Portland areas.

The thought of ugly people dominating these regions never crossed my mind.

Now I see this thread...

I'm very picky for someone who looks much older than 52, is a size 44 waist and less than 5'10", but the fact that people in the Seattle area are unattractive never crossed my mind. I'm gay, so not really looking at your women, but appreciate a pretty female nonetheless. I didn't see anything wrong with your men and their looks, for what it's worth.

One poster earlier mentioned how more polished Boston and Cambridge are vs. Seattle. Maybe... But I assume your financial district has many well dressed Brooks Brothers types as does Boston. Some don't like this style and have labelled Boston (!) as a poorly dressed city. I think we "won" such a poll a year ago. Personally, I love the preppy and fratboy looks which Boston sometimes gets accused of.

What I don't t like at my age, are all the tattoos, piercings, weird haircuts, weird colors in the hair , grungy/hipster appearances in the youth. I must admit I'm not even sure of the difference between hipster and grunge.

Even in the Boston area, we have many sloppy looking, white trash types. So rest easy, Seattle bashers. My weight probably classifies me as such to some/many. I hate all the tattoos and piercings seen on employees at OUR Whole Foods Markets. I'd expect more class from their employees. Nothing less appetizing than ordering a pasta salad, and seeing a long, tattooed arm behind the glass display case reach for your order with the utensil. It's the same at your Whole Foods, I'm sure.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:27 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,007 times
i'm actually surprised that people/women in seattle are not fitter/thinner/toned than they currently are in aggregate. With all the opportunities and culture of biking, hiking, climbing, running, out-door activities abound i was expecting everyone to be fit, lithe, and toned.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:03 PM

225 posts, read 643,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
i'm actually surprised that people/women in seattle are not fitter/thinner/toned than they currently are in aggregate. With all the opportunities and culture of biking, hiking, climbing, running, out-door activities abound i was expecting everyone to be fit, lithe, and toned.
When I'm rock climbing and hiking, I see lots of people that are fit, lithe, and toned like me and my friends. In other activities - movies, grocery shopping, etc. - it's more of a mix of body shapes.

Comparatively speaking, there's more support and enthusiasm for physical activities in the Seattle area than where we used to live. For years we heard "as soon as you reach XX years old, you'll settle down (quit being active)" with frequency from people, notably in their middle age of life, where we used to live. Here in Seattle, we regularly see people well into their 70's and 80's hiking and climbing alongside us.

The type of people you see is dependent upon where you happen to be. Walk down Market St in Ballard, stand at Third and Pine, shop at Metropolitan Market in Sand Point, hike Mailbox Peak - each place will have variations of "type."

I can only assume that this thread title is one of those Lesser Seattle things, so I'll refrain from waxing poetic about the physical appearance of my neighbors.

Continue on with the Lesser Seattle rants. Frankly, "it rains a lot" should suffice.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:43 PM

70 posts, read 111,465 times
seriously its ok to be ugly, but seattle people are ugly inside as much as they are outside...

Old 03-02-2015, 11:55 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,375 times
LOL funny topic.

I think Seattle people are more ugly, at least in terms of modern culture's view of beauty. Less makeup, less designer clothes, less plastic surgery etc. Culture shock compared to Bellevue or LA.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:11 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
LOL funny topic.

I think Seattle people are more ugly, at least in terms of modern culture's view of beauty. Less makeup, less designer clothes, less plastic surgery etc. Culture shock compared to Bellevue or LA.
Anyplace is culture shock compared to LA.

Why was this 3-year-old thread revived, btw?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area