Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 08:49 AM

620 posts, read 1,300,015 times

Advertisements

I used to work at Ruby/Dawson and walked past Rain Fitness from where I used to park. I always noticed people walking around that area in workout clothes but I didn't realize, for a long time, that Rain was a gym.

Where will you be living? Some of the newer apartment residences have gyms. I think that I would rather find a spot with a small gym (and there's a nice one within a five minute walk from SLU) than join the gyms in the area. But I also like to separate from work as much as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
How does one get a job at Amazon? I'm an accredited Program Manager with an MBA and have applied for 43 jobs there in the past month.

Granted, some of those jobs have been posted since May. Maybe they're just overwhelmed. But I'm wondering how it's done?
Quantum, my advice to you would be to chill out and stop applying for two to three months. I honestly believe that the recruiters are looking at how frequently you apply for jobs.

Wait a bit and then find a friend or fellow alum who works at Amazon. Then ask them to refer you for a position. Do not apply for the position externally!! The employee has to do it and then you will be part of the employee referral program. But again, do this only after a month or two because if you try it now, the person referring you may get an error message saying that you have already applied for the position or that you are already in the system. Another option is to slide in as a contractor with an agency, and then pray they make the position full-time or apply for positions and then follow-up with a informal meet-greet.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:26 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverize View Post
Thanks, Mousetron! That's a bummer, because my current company has a gym, although not great, that's accessible to all employees. I will definitely need a good free-weight area than cardio as I'm into strength training, so I'll be sure to check out both 24hr and Club Zum. Thank you!
Amazon wanted me to fly to Seattle before, for an interview, but back then I wasn't ready to move...I realized that gym issue is something that must be discussed at the time of interview. Some companies also have a spare/empty room that can be used for exercise too, and where one can hang portable pullup bar. This is very important! But why are you asking online? You should contact the employer directly and ask.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:27 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post
Quantum, my advice to you would be to chill out and stop applying for two to three months. I honestly believe that the recruiters are looking at how frequently you apply for jobs.

Wait a bit and then find a friend or fellow alum who works at Amazon. Then ask them to refer you for a position. Do not apply for the position externally!! The employee has to do it and then you will be part of the employee referral program. But again, do this only after a month or two because if you try it now, the person referring you may get an error message saying that you have already applied for the position or that you are already in the system. Another option is to slide in as a contractor with an agency, and then pray they make the position full-time or apply for positions and then follow-up with a informal meet-greet.
Why not apply externally? The hire from all over US. I applied online (software engineer) and they wanted me to fly for in-person interview in after a phone interview (I just wasn't ready to go to Seattle back then and ended up working in San Diego)

Old 10-07-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
Why not apply externally? The hire from all over US. I applied online (software engineer) and they wanted me to fly for in-person interview in after a phone interview (I just wasn't ready to go to Seattle back then and ended up working in San Diego)
They said that they applied for 43 jobs in the past month. Not past year but the past month. They either have to relax and allow for the recruiters to do their thing, or their resume is just not getting passed the vetting process. To be honest, I think it is the latter rather than the former. If these jobs have been posted since May, then there is a definite need to get the positions filled and the recruiters are going to be on it. They also go out to LinkedIn and search profiles by keywords to find people with the skills and certs they need. Amazon isn't looking for people who just meet the basic qualifications; they are looking for the superstars who'll raise the bar and add to the Amazon culture and community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area