Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 04:10 PM

10 posts, read 19,004 times

Advertisements

We are here right now in Seattle checking it out and over all really like it.

It has been mostly sunny out, guessing this is one of the best weekends?

Here was my last post, looking for a place to live:
Which suburb 50 miles of Seattle is most like...

We checked out the neighborhoods south of Seattle like Renton, Tukwila and I think Auora - those did NOT do anything for us.

However, we just got back from the Green Lake area and REALLY liked it!

So far, Green Lake has the highest number of qualities that we enjoy (listed in first post). In general, we liked the young healthy vibe, older well kept homes with charm, and the feel of a community - everyone was out and about, around the lake and town.
Is it always like that?

My question is, what would be the top 3 neighborhoods most like Green Lake and have any of the other qualities in my last post, now that I have a first hand idea of these towns?

We are planning to see Edmonds, from what I hear it is nice but is it like Green Lake or completely different?

Thanks for your help and great city!

Thank You.

Last edited by thatscool; 09-29-2012 at 04:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 05:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Edmonds has a quaint waterfront, different but cool feeling there. I think you will like it too. Have you been to Ballard?
I know people that recently moved there from Greenlake and Maple Leaf, and even one from Edmonds. There is a complete assortment of areas from waterfront to downtown to suburbs all in one area, much of it walkable to all of the shops you could want, and there are several new huge apartment and condo complexes going up at this time.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:36 PM

10 posts, read 19,004 times
Hemlock140: We are actually going to Ballard tonight so I will check it out! Thank You.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:55 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatscool View Post
We are here right now in Seattle checking it out and over all really like it.

It has been mostly sunny out, guessing this is one of the best weekends?

Here was my last post, looking for a place to live:
Which suburb 50 miles of Seattle is most like...

We checked out the neighborhoods south of Seattle like Renton, Tukwila and I think Auora - those did NOT do anything for us.
Renton is a very large area... Which part have you explored?

And I'm puzzled as to why anyone would suggest or want to check Tukwila out... even we the residents are like Eh, nothing to see here. Tukwila is good for the shopping... and Fort Dent.

As for the third... what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatscool View Post
However, we just got back from the Green Lake area and REALLY liked it!

So far, Green Lake has the highest number of qualities that we enjoy (listed in first post). In general, we liked the young healthy vibe, older well kept homes with charm, and the feel of a community - everyone was out and about, around the lake and town.
Is it always like that?

My question is, what would be the top 3 neighborhoods most like Green Lake and have any of the other qualities in my last post, now that I have a first hand idea of these towns?

We are planning to see Edmonds, from what I hear it is nice but is it like Green Lake or completely different?

Thanks for your help and great city!

Thank You.
So in other words, you like trendy areas. Which will mean more money.

One thing working against Edmonds-- as beautiful as it is and I do like it a lot... but its nicknamed "Deadmond" for a reason. But it might work out for you since you might see it as "quiet". Edmonds has the downtown core, lots of quaint parts mixed in with the new and its waterfront. Wonderful and beautiful area.

Other options to check out that you might like: (Suburbs) Kirkland, Winslow area of Bainbridge Island, Bothell (though very understated compared to Kirkland and Greenlake). Issaquah has a very charming DT, but is definitely overbuilt with homes around (great nature and great access!).

(Seattle Neigbhorhoods: ) Mt. Baker/Seward Park/Columbia City. West Seattle (very big area). Even Beacon Hill.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:26 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
My family lives in Phinney Ridge, quite close to Green Lake. Edmonds is different in many ways. I have lived in the Seattle area for 23 years and i truly believe that it is hard to beat the combo of (peaceful neighborhoods, loads of restaurants, pubs, access to arts and downtown) things that Green Lake, Phinney Ridge, Ballard offer.

Moderator cut: see note

Last edited by Count David; 10-14-2012 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: realtor soliciting

Old 10-08-2012, 09:30 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,513 times
I'm fairly certain we're moving to Ravenna. It has tons of street level charm, shopping, restaurants, etc. I find it very similar to Greenlake (we looked there, too, and liked it for all of the reasons you listed).

Old 10-08-2012, 09:41 PM

Great choice, one of my favorite parts of town, I was just near there for lunch today at excellent East Indian/Bangladeshi restaurant called Bengal Tiger. Are you guys thinking about buying a home?

Old 10-09-2012, 01:59 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Great choice, one of my favorite parts of town, I was just near there for lunch today at excellent East Indian/Bangladeshi restaurant called Bengal Tiger. Are you guys thinking about buying a home?
Not sure if you were responding to me, but we are renting for now. I'd love to buy a house in Ravenna eventually if all goes well (there or Montlake, which I also love).

Old 10-09-2012, 02:58 PM

Yup, I was! Please let me know if I can help
When the time is right. Montlake is great,
you probably will get more home for
your money in Ravenna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area