Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:49 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,029,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You are giving your opinion and perception.
So are you. Aren't we all? That's the purpose of a message board.

Quote:
The fact that I personally see half the city out and about during all climates proves that,
Now THAT is misleading. It's a fact? Did you *personally* count everyone too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 10:34 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,003,314 times
Quote:
That is misleading Jenbar. You are giving your opinion and perception.
That's what this forum is about ...people giving their own perceptions and opinions. Whether it is misleading or not is up to the reader to determine.

As I've said in a previous post, we are ALL allowed to give our OPINIONS and PERCEPTIONS. Again, this is the nature of such a discussion forum.

PLEASE, let's not call each other out on their opinions and perceptions. It's fine to post a rebuttal and state why you disagree and then state your own opinions and perceptions ...but that's all they are, YOUR opinions and perceptions.

With that said, I'm going to give a few of my own opinions and perceptions. I grew up as child in western Washington and I truly believe that I suffered from a S.A.D.-type condition as I grew up. Whether I was consciously aware of it at the time or not, I really don't know but I believe the cumulative effect of it was what eventually led me to suffer from it as an adult. There have been many articles and reports done on the Seattle climate and its consequence on children's behavior and demeanor.

All of you have valid perceptions as far as I'm concerned. I've seen kids using the skateboard park in downtown Redmond in the pouring rain. Obviously not as many as when the weather is nice but kids will do just about anything in the rain if they're enjoying what they're doing. Well, just not kids but adults as well.

And yes, there are indoor skateboard parks in the Seattle area. I can think of one in Wallingford. I've seen one in Renton. So I'm sure there are more around too.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:56 AM

170 posts, read 845,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
I have to agree with this

especially if you have younger kids, you can easily start to feel trapped in the house. I don't believe the "people go about their day" line anyone living in the area feeds newcomers. I used to use that line too. It's simply NOT TRUE. You do tend to huddle in the house during the periods of constant drizzle.
Based on this post it appears you are stating your opinion as fact, jenbar. That was the only thing I was wanting to clarify, that you were in fact giving your point of view based on your lifestyle and that it doesn't nescesarily go for everybody.

Simply that not everybody with kids feel trapped in their house. Furthermore, you may believe that people going about their day is not true but that doesn't make it so. You even capitalized the words NOT TRUE

Look, if we want to nitpick again like you did with the defenition of Sound vs Ocean than this is going to be a dreary thread. No Jenbar, I didn't count every person I saw outside. Last time you were at a restaurant did you count every person in there?? Didn't think so but I'm sure you could easily tell us if it was full or empty.

Same thing when you see people out around town you can quickly make the distinction of "many" people out or "hardly anybody out" And that was what I was saying, that I see many people outside either by themselves or with kids under a variety of different climates.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:08 AM

307 posts, read 1,418,117 times
I have friends that moved up to Gig Harbor from the San Gabriel Valley (pasadena area of southern california). They went from sun and warm/hot weather most of the year to cluods and drizzle, etc. They were outdoorsy people in Cali. and they are outdoorsy people in WA too. It seems odd to me that someone would change how they are just because of where they live. Maybe the nature of their activities would change, but I can't imagine an outdoorsy person becoming a shut-in b/c of clouds and drizzle. Does that really happen often?

They have a two year old. He rides his tractor in the back yard even when its cloudy. They take him to PT.Defiance Zoo. In the summer they take the boat out and explore. They go down to the beach and collect shells. etc. They do spend more time at home during the winter, but usually b/c it is dark so early.....not b/c of clouds and drizzle.

I've noticed that there are two types of parents...at least among the couples that I know. Parents that tend to hang around the house with the kids and don't really go very many places b/c they prefer to stay home and cook during the day, etc. and then there are the types of parents that take their kids out to the zoo, museums, parks, etc. I think it is just about your personal parenting style. I'm not saying one is better than the other.

I wouldn't worry about your boys and the skateboards. Kids are actually stronger and adapt easier than we give them credit for. If they can't skate they will find other activities that they like. They will probably skate in all weather anyway regardless. I would just make sure you enforce the helmet rule even more if it is wet out.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:33 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,666,744 times
I do admit I'm cooped up - but when I livedin Calif, I wasn't. I rode my bike everywhere with my child - we went to parks and zoos (here too just not often) and out to festivals etc. I take my child camping when I can. But there's not much season to do that.

I'm a very social - outgoing person - so I've gotten quite depressed about living here. I used to be out allt he time - now because it's wet and cold I'm indoors all the time. And I don't cook or clean - I'm the worst home maker ever!

Old 10-10-2007, 11:51 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,029,351 times
Like Citygirl says, we are also social and outgoing! We are out all the time now... swimming, biking, playing, walking. I work on my yard constantly, and we have more friends now than we ever did in our 10ish yrs in the Seattle area.

With all due respect Embrarer, you just moved to the Seattle area. I lived there for almost 10 years, and have visited and have had family there since I was born. My sister and brother WERE born there. We spent almost every summer that I can remember in Long Beach. My aunt, brother & his family, inlaws and countless old work and social friends still remain in the area. I still have strong ties there.

Every fall and winter that I lived there, I remember not seeing most of my neighbors until it warmed up in May, June and July.

Your opinions and perceptions are valid, but so are mine. You are in your honeymoon period while experiencing something new and different. I wonder how you will feel in 4, 6 and 8 years time? It may be the same (some people truly do love the area, the weather, and that's perfect for them) and it may not be. I had an honeymoon period there too, where I thought the weather was cozy and different, and perfect for a cup of coffee and cuddle up with a warm blanket. After time, it just got old.

I didn't state anything as a quoted, sourced FACT. Though YOUR OWN comments started with "It's a fact..." Kinda of odd that you would say you PERSONALLY saw over 500k people out and about during ALL climates... but whatever.

You don't like or agree with ANYTHING I have to say - I'm sorry, but just because you don't agree with it, and further, I have proved you wrong on several occasions.... doesn't mean you need to report me to administrators as a troll, and nit pick every comment I have. There are several others here who DO agree, and more to the point, echo many of my statements as sharing the same experience.

I truly am happy for you that you are enjoying your new area. I am enjoying mine as well. Good luck and I hope it continues for you!

Last edited by jwb123; 10-10-2007 at 12:22 PM..

Old 10-10-2007, 11:54 AM

307 posts, read 1,418,117 times
CityGirl -- It makes me sad that you sounds so unhappy with your current situation. I would hate to feel wet and cold all the time as well.....My DH works at REI and with the proper clothing I've been able to be comfortable in 3 degree NY winter weather, 30 snowing Canada weather, and drizzly PNW weather. Is there anything you can do wardrobe wise to be more comfortable in the PNW climate?

If you don't like leaving the house so much what about inviting people over? I go through phases where I enjoy staying home and I invite friends over for movie night, make your own pizza, games, etc.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:07 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,582,922 times
As a skateboader and dad myself I feel qualified to answer....There are lots of both indoor and outdoor skate parks around. There will be many overcast days with no precipitation that are perfect for skateboarding outdoors, but there will also be times when they won't be useable due to puddles accumulating, at which point the indoor parks start to look better (plus you will be going through bearings/decks like crazy if you skate in the rain -water is very unkind to skateboards). There are many professional skateboarders that hail from the region, although Vanvouver is much more of a skating mecca than we are (but they have a very similar climate for what it's worth). That should tell you how impeding the weather is.

The only downside of the indoor parks is typically there is a fee (usually around 3-5 dollars), and pads/helmet are required. There are two good ones off the top of my head that I have skated at, Rain City park in the southern part of downtown Seattle and the YMCA skatepark which is on the border between Bellevue and Redmond in the Overlake neighborhood.

There is no shortage of things to do with your children even in the rainy months, so don't let these repressed moms scare you off. I have a 2 year old and we go on adventures every weekend. Like any drastic climate change, there will be an adjustment period, which can be difficult for people that are used to copious sunshine. I grew up here and so far have not tired of the climate, but I can see how someone from, say, the central valley of California would have problems adjusting.

Last edited by toughguy; 10-10-2007 at 12:23 PM..

Old 10-10-2007, 12:11 PM

AHHHH inviting people over - two problems...if you have kids, you get them in bed at around 7 or 8 pm - party is over and your friends with kids want to leave because they want to get their kids in bed too

But I do have "theme" parties EVERY year - I go all out especially for Halloween and the Oscars. Out of 30 people invited - 3 came last year. It's called the "Seattle Freeze" - HAVE YOU HEARD OF IT? Everyone keeps to themselves

The Seattle Times: Pacific Northwest Magazine : Our Social Disease

And my wardrobe has absolutely changed for this weather - which also depresses me (depresses my husband too, he says he wants his Sassy Wife back) I used to dress Kitchy - 50s and cute, tons of heels or swing dresses...now it's 10 months of layered jackets and sandals and scarfs and knit hats- I feel SO FRUMPY now - because it's not fashion anymore it's all about trying to stay warm. I have a closet of clothes I pack up when I go back to Calif and visit - I literally have two wardrobes.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:15 PM

Here's a picture of us at Halloween Party last year - really we are fun people, I'm VERY outgoing, I guess I'm just not cut out for it up here

http://tinyurl.com/327enx (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area