Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:33 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
AHHHH inviting people over - two problems...if you have kids, you get them in bed at around 7 or 8 pm - party is over and your friends with kids want to leave because they want to get their kids in bed too

But I do have "theme" parties EVERY year - I go all out especially for Halloween and the Oscars. Out of 30 people invited - 3 came last year. It's called the "Seattle Freeze" - HAVE YOU HEARD OF IT? Everyone keeps to themselves

The Seattle Times: Pacific Northwest Magazine : Our Social Disease

And my wardrobe has absolutely changed for this weather - which also depresses me (depresses my husband too, he says he wants his Sassy Wife back) I used to dress Kitchy - 50s and cute, tons of heels or swing dresses...now it's 10 months of layered jackets and sandals and scarfs and knit hats- I feel SO FRUMPY now - because it's not fashion anymore it's all about trying to stay warm. I have a closet of clothes I pack up when I go back to Calif and visit - I literally have two wardrobes.
I have not had that problem....Over 30 people showed up for my son's recent birthday party, most of them single with no children. These weren't people I grew up with either, these are relatively new friends that I have met through work and/or mutual associations. Our house felt like a nightclub it was so crowded...I regularly attend parties that are packed to the gills...I honestly can't tell you what you are doing wrong, but I have not had the same experience as you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 01:03 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Citygirl dresses frumpy because she chooses to dress frumpy and maybe because of her pregnancy. But the Seattle area has become a fashion powerhouse compared to just 10 years ago. This is not the granola eating, earth shoe wearing, vw bus driving city from yesteryear. People are moving here from all over the world now. Independant boutiques are opening up all over downtown Seattle. Also stores like St. John, Escada, Barney's, Mario's, Sway & Cake, David Lawrence, Luly Yang aren't here because they sell a lot of gortex. Neiman Marcus and Jimmy Choo are coming to the pnw for a reason.

As far as your kids, I think kids adapt to places far better than adults. Imo I think this area is an excellent area for kids.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:12 PM

40 posts, read 179,587 times
Thanks for all the info.

My youngest son (9) is eager about the potential move, my oldest son (14) and my daughter (13) don't want to leave their friends here in Texas. We are native Texans but have moved around a lot over the last four years -- 2 years in Pocatello, Idaho where we had to deal with snowy cabin fever during the winter and Las Vegas which the kids loved for all the skateparks and the heat. I wasn't crazy about bringing up kids in LV.

I moved from Houston to Dallas in the early eighties and I remember always commenting when asked, that I like Dallas better than Houston because Dallas wasn't overcast and humid all the time. I'm a little worried how I will do after hearing about SAD, but I think the heat/humidity and overcast skies combined is what I did not like. I love a cooler climate and anticipate really liking Seattle. I love mountains and have never lived by the beauty of the ocean. I imagine there are many ways to combat the SAD but have not researched it yet. What comes to mind is brighter colors indoors and landscaping with flowers as much as possible (?).

Regarding some of the friction in the posts above...hey, life is never easyand certainly there is never a perfect place or scenario. Sometimes it's just hard to leave friends and family behind. That fact alone can "cloud" everything and is one of my concerns for my two older children. That's why I have wanted to check into activities available to them. Thanks again for the posts.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:16 PM

307 posts, read 1,421,248 times
Our friends in Gig Harbor have a 2,800 square foot house (which is huge by Cali. standards) and the big joke is that the kitchen is too small (even though its huge). B/C everytime they have a get together the kitchen is stuffed with adults and kids. Sure things start getting going earlier and end earlier b/c of the kiddies, but the party is still fun. I think kids can go to bed at 9 or 1o once in awhile without it being a big deal.

Maybe I haven't experienced the Seattle Freeze so much b/c I have been meeting people from the Tacoma area. Are Tacoma residents more friendly than Seattle ones?

Old 10-10-2007, 01:18 PM

307 posts, read 1,421,248 times
GR8Scott --- There are also tons of other really great activities that the boys might become interested in, like boating, kayaking, fishing, hiking, mtn. climbing, mtn. biking, etc.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:19 PM

534 posts, read 3,111,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Here's a picture of us at Halloween Party last year - really we are fun people, I'm VERY outgoing, I guess I'm just not cut out for it up here
It might just be the area you live in. The only reason I'm mentioning this is because when my wife (total extrovert) and I lived in town, getting people all together for a party was not an easy thing to do (unless it was something related to work, then everyone from her job would show up - kind of a crutch for a lot of people I guess, "Oh it's work related, so I have to go..." mentality). I think the root may be a combination of conflicting personalities and/or just a tendency for people in Seattle to be more reserved and not as social.

Once we moved *out* of town, that totally changed. Now it's almost the opposite, having to either limit the number of people or find a bigger venue to host an event.

I just assumed you lived in town but if you don't then I just wasted a lot of typing.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:24 PM

534 posts, read 3,111,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ness View Post
Maybe I haven't experienced the Seattle Freeze so much b/c I have been meeting people from the Tacoma area. Are Tacoma residents more friendly than Seattle ones?
The point I was just attempting to make - should have read this post first!

Old 10-10-2007, 01:32 PM

40 posts, read 179,587 times
Ness...Yes! It looks like many more things to do outdoors than Dallas. The boys got a nice taste of snowboarding while in Idaho and my daughter and I ski! In the heat here, you go from the air conditioned house, to the air conditioned car, to work or shopping which also has to be air conditioned. You never open windows because you don't want to let the air conditioned air out! If you have a patio you don't use it unless you have a pool.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:06 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,061,557 times
Quote:

Citygirl dresses frumpy because she chooses to dress frumpy and maybe because of her pregnancy.
Wow, a really unnecessary comment.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:12 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Jenbar mentioned honeymoon period. Well its been 8 years now for me. I personally find myself out and about throughout the year here more than any city I ever lived in. The carpet does not roll up when fall and winter get here. This is funny but just today I got an Evite to attend my friends birthday party on October 20th. As I clicked 'yes I will attend' she already has 30 yes responses in just a few hours.

Jenbar mentioned she didn't know of any indoor skateboarding places. Check out this one. INNER SPACE INDOOR SKATEPARK (http://www.innerspaceskateboarding.com/home.html - broken link).

This is an old article but check it out.EXPN.com - Story

Jenbar, Citygirl knows we're cool. Some girls just aren't into dressing when they're pregnant. Who knows, maybe she'll return to high heels after she has her baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area