Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 09:59 AM

192 posts, read 423,843 times

Advertisements

We are looking at the possibility of moving back to Seattle. My husbands old company wants him back so we are considering it after being gone for 3 years now. We lived in Issaquah and Bellevue ( lakemont) area when we last lived there.

Now that his company has moved to South Lake Union we will have to live elsewhere and that is where I am stumped. What area would be best for us as far as commute and schools. My dd is so the school district must be good.

Is Kirkland out of the question or should we try to stay away from crossing the 520 bridge? What about Green Lake, Queen Anne ( which I loved) or somewhere around there. ANyone have an opinion of those areas or can offer any help!

Thanks so much!!!

Jessica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 10:27 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Greenlake and Queen Anne both have good schools. As do Phinney Ridge, Greenwood, and some of the NE neighborhoods like Ravenna, Wedgwood, View Ridge, and Laurelhurst. The problem with some areas in Seattle is that while many elementary schools are every bit as good as their eastside counterparts, the middle schools get too big, sometimes getting fed from 25 or 30 elementary schools. At least in the NE, they feed into Eckstein middle school which is very well regarded and then to the well regarded Roosevelt High.
But it's not for everybody, and if you're willing to pay the toll to cross 520, there's no reason to avoid places like Kirkland, oe even Bellevue or Redmond. I happen to like Issaquah and Lakemont a lot, but that commute to South Lake Union, while doable, would be kind of long.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:18 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Hi jessica,

Welcome back!! I hope you are happy about it. Please look at some of the wonderful character filled Seattle neighborhoods. How old are your kid/kids?

Old 10-25-2012, 11:41 PM

182 posts, read 323,290 times
Don't you know the answers to most of these questions after living there????

Old 10-26-2012, 05:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Many people commute daily from Bellevue, Issaquah, and Sammamish to South Lake Union. That is not considered a difficult commute, with good bus service, and though there is a toll on 520, it's a lot faster now if you drive that way with so many people taking the I90 bridge to avoid paying the toll.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:50 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,200 times
if your husband will be working for amazon, there are also a lot of vanpools that come over from kirkland. if he rides one of those, it's free for him and includes the 520 bridge toll so he won't have to pay out of pocket.

the commute on the vanpool is quick...around 20 minutes (or less).

Old 10-30-2012, 01:21 PM

192 posts, read 423,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
if your husband will be working for amazon, there are also a lot of vanpools that come over from kirkland. if he rides one of those, it's free for him and includes the 520 bridge toll so he won't have to pay out of pocket.

the commute on the vanpool is quick...around 20 minutes (or less).

Thanks but dh says a vanpool won't work with him working different hours each day.

Thanks Ira...You know so much about the area!

It looks like no matter where we live dh will have to transfer buses so we are looking back on the eastside where we lived before. We lived in Lakemont last time so I am looking there and around the Eastgate area. I am trying to get us as close to Eastgate P&R as I can. ANyone know anything about a neighborhood called South Cove?

Thanks so much!!

Old 10-30-2012, 02:32 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
Quote:
It looks like no matter where we live dh will have to transfer buses so we are looking back on the eastside where we lived before.
If he's working for Amazon I believe they have a shuttle that goes back and forth to the Convention Place Transit Center. That's a major DT transit hub, and it's just north of Amazon. There are all kinds of busses that go there directly from all over the area. So - yes, he would have to take the shuttle after the bus, but he should be able to get a direct route to the Convention Place garage.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:32 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
South Cove is a fantastic neighborhood (albeit old). Though you are pretty much in Issaquah in South Cove. Have you thought about Woodridge in Bellevue? One of my favorite older neighborhoods there.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:42 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
If he's working for Amazon I believe they have a shuttle that goes back and forth to the Convention Place Transit Center. That's a major DT transit hub, and it's just north of Amazon. There are all kinds of busses that go there directly from all over the area. So - yes, he would have to take the shuttle after the bus, but he should be able to get a direct route to the Convention Place garage.
this is correct in that there is a shuttle from convention place where all of the buses are.

amazon has also expanded so there are some buildings that are not in SLU and more downtown (south of denny) where it is walking distance to convention place so if he is in one of those buildings, he won't have to wait for the shuttle. in addition, they are going to start building a lot more buildings south of denny as well.

btw, the convention place transit center is south of amazon and SLU but doesn't change your valid point anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area