Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 09:37 AM

7 posts, read 18,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post

There is a lack of energy here that I've never experienced anywhere else. I don't know if it is the weather, but people just seem beaten down at times. I went to a function the other night and guest of honor is out of DC and had another guy from DC with him. They were vibrant and enthusiastic (and both dudes are 60 something!) I met a couple other people that were engaging, but over all, the crowd was just incredibly subdued and uninteresting. If you prefer that, good for you. Like I said, move out here and find out for yourself.
That's IT. Jeenibc, your statement most clearly illustrates what happens to a greater degree every winter. It's not Pacific Northwestern 'aloofness', it's weariness.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:46 AM

576 posts, read 1,817,966 times
It doesn't help that A LOT of people feel the same way, so we all seem to suffer as a group.

It seems like everything is a vicious cycle here. The gray makes some people feel like crap, and takes away motivation to do things that would alleviate feeling like crap somewhat. The gray makes me want to sleep and eat junk food, only making me feel crappier. I need to move out of here.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:21 PM

24 posts, read 84,036 times
I'm pretty outgoing myself. People are always surprised to find out I'm native. I think what a lot of people refer to as the "Seattle Freeze" is simply a personality clash with the vibe of Seattle. Seattle folks tend to be a little more introverted. No amount of complaining is going to change that. You either adapt to it or you don't. I spent some time in NYC about 12 years ago and always felt very on edge and uptight while I was there. I could see where a lot of the hostility in certain places (subway rage, etc) came from. I couldn't imagine living in that kind of environment all the time. For millions of others, they couldn't imagine having it any other way.

Seattle has definitely changed in recent years (for the worse) however. I'll say one thing on the "freeze" people speak of that I think has kind of attenuated the social vibe here: Net-obsession.

Seattle is probably the most technology-obsessed city in the country (as a major factor of our economy depends on it). Nearly everyone I know here has a computer and laptop (I have 3). I know people in NYC and Boston who've never owned a computer in their life, do not have email, and have only browsed the web at the Library. They socialize the old-fashioned way: They leave their house and meet with people. Whereas, to a lot of people here, their livejournal, myspace, or facebook account will suffice for at least a few days. They do all their shopping online (I still don't get this one myself. I need to see something 1st hand to buy it), they order movies online. I think a lot of people here have kind of locked themselves up for so long in their apartments that they've lost the ability and drive to be social.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:27 PM

24 posts, read 84,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Honestly I'd visit in March, because we all know Nov through Jan is suppoes to be cold - it's winter time...what you should do is come during Spring and see if you can handle going from the 70-ish degree sun shiney weather in LA - to grey, cloudy, drizzly and 50s of Spring time here.
Ditto! Feb is the worst month in Seattle!! Nov is no picnic either! At least There's holiday stuff in Dec and the New Years buzz still lingering in January. February can never end fast enough.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:05 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
My Dr asked about my S.A.D. because Sept is coming - I say I'm fine in Autumn it's Feb through June that is complete hell for me (til June sunshine comes at the end)

Old 08-20-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneurysm View Post
Ditto! Feb is the worst month in Seattle!! Nov is no picnic either! At least There's holiday stuff in Dec and the New Years buzz still lingering in January. February can never end fast enough.
I personally hate the holiday season, for more reasons than SAD. So October-April is pretty much one big block of suck, but November-December is the worst of it. SAD coupled with too many family gatherings, people committing genocide on turkeys (something about people gorging themselves stupid makes me want to barf too), horribly repetitive holiday tunes and Fall finals... yuck. At least on January 2, I know all that stuff is over, the days are starting to get longer, and it's getting steadily warmer.

Last edited by tada; 08-20-2008 at 01:28 PM..

Old 08-20-2008, 09:22 PM

947 posts, read 1,642,818 times
Default Seattle Freeze

I've lived in many cities throughout North America and I can honestly say that Seattle is the meanest city I have ever lived in!!!! Not even Nordy's can save the day for this fashionista.

The locals are very cold and unfriendly once you strip away the surface veneer. The way the homeless are treated here is unbelievable. No waterproof sleeping bags allowed? No food distribution allowed in the downtown where many homeless live? And if one more local tells me that the homeless just want to be acknowledged, I am going to scream because what the homeless really want is shelter, food and clothing and not a quick smile as you pass them on the street. Let's get real Seattle folks!!! And you all call me crazy because I talk to the homeless in my neighborhood. Why wouldn't I? They are my neighbors!!! Seattle should be ashamed of itself with this one as no other city in the U.S. including New York City has treated it's homeless in such a manner. Where's your compassion?

I am also tired of Seattlites' "rules'. No smoking anywhere or we'll treat you like crap!! Be a tree hugger and go green but pedestrians don't get in the way of our expensive cars while we are driving even when you have the right of way or we'll just plow over you!!! Don't cut in line even if the person waves you in or we'll make sure you get a ticket!!!, etc. This place is a little too facist for me!!!

Everyone I know who has moved here has either left this city because of said issues above and many more or have become angry, bitter, isolated individuals who drink heavily or end up on some serious anti-depressants.

Well not me, I am getting the heck out of the god foresaken city never to return. The Bronx or Boston's Combat Zone are much friendlier then this place. To those thinking of moving to Seattle may want to think twice before scheduling the movers.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:28 PM

947 posts, read 1,642,818 times
Default Seattle Freeze

I forgot to mention in my last post that dating in Seattle is a big joke too. No one I know is dating, male or female, it just doesn't happen here. And the people I know who are involved or married, met thier significant other away from Seattle. I am not sure how in the heck Seattle was named one the the most "Dateable Cities in the U.S."

Old 08-20-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
The locals are very cold and unfriendly once you strip away the surface veneer. The way the homeless are treated here is unbelievable. No waterproof sleeping bags allowed? No food distribution allowed in the downtown where many homeless live? And if one more local tells me that the homeless just want to be acknowledged, I am going to scream because what the homeless really want is shelter, food and clothing and not a quick smile as you pass them on the street. Let's get real Seattle folks!!! And you all call me crazy because I talk to the homeless in my neighborhood. Why wouldn't I? They are my neighbors!!! Seattle should be ashamed of itself with this one as no other city in the U.S. including New York City has treated it's homeless in such a manner. Where's your compassion?
I don't really have compassion for people who think empty buckets and wine bottles are drums. Also, they're getting plenty of free stuff; why do you think they know Seattle as Freeattle?

Old 08-21-2008, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 5,902 times
I live in Fairfield County, CT (1 hr north of NYC, very White and rich), and its the same thing. Unless you grew up here or have been here several years it will be hard to make friends. I've been here over one year now and have made exactly 0 new friends. My only friends are my roomates (a couple) whom I moved out here with and their older married couple friend who I already knew from before.

I have been labeled as being "wierd" here because the first 6 months I was friendly and was always making conversation. The only way to make friends is to know someone well already and be introduced into the group. I commute on the train and no one talks to each other. I go to the coffee shop and quietly drink my coffee amongst everyone else. I go to the bars and waste money on expensive drinks only to be standing there by myself and be approached by no-one. Like I said, the first 6 months I tried to meet people, most make nice conversation, but after that its over. Apparently, I am wierd for wanting to meet people.

I am also thinking of moving out to Seattle, reading the freeze discussions really made me worry, but then I remember how it is out here already... Plus I have a best friend in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area