Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 05:59 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I have a question for anybody who cares to answer it...how many of you have lived in any northern or central European city the size of Seattle or bigger?

London, Paris, Frankfurt, Stockholm, Copenhagen, any larger central or northern European city...
I haven't been to any of those places. I would like to know exactly what you are talking about when you mention these cities.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:44 PM

402 posts, read 1,021,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
So sad that the other tourists who were also riding the monorail didn't talk to you.
Actually, I don't think they were other "tourists". I got the same reaction, for instance, from the attendant at the Space Needle store, and a group of sales associates at an outdoor clothing store when I tried to make small talk.

All of this reminded me of when I first moved to Cali from Spokane at age 18. I remember after about my first 2 weeks there, I had made a couple casual friends, and I kept thinking "why are these people talking to me"?

Now, making the opposite turnaround from Cali to Seattle, coming back to Wa I was thinking, "why are all of these people NOT talking to me, did I come accross kinda strange when I said x, y, or z"?

It's true about Wa. The people are more closed off and to themselves, and a bit more into their own groups.

I think some of the people try to pass that off as a virtue, and twist it into being an "individual" or attribute it to a "laid back attitude", but that's a bit of a stretch.

Bottom line, ANYONE would rather be in a place where people are more open to meeting other people and making friends in general, regardless of whether that attitude is caused by the weather, economy, etc.

I've often heard that because Seattle is a literate city, you have many more intellectuals who are into their books or computer, and are too busy engaging in these intellecutal past times to converse.

Well, I live near San Francisco, which is literally hundreths of a percentage point behind Seattle in terms of bachelor degrees per resident - the cities rank 1 and 2 for the entire nation in that respect. Still, you don't find any of that type of attitude here.

I'd love to come back to Wa and Seattle in particular, because it is such an amazing city in so many respects. The views, it's unique personality, the landscape, and even the weather adds a charm that some may dislike, but cannot deny.

All in all though you can't deny that the attitude and standoffishness is there in the residents. And, it's pretty hard to pretend that's a good thing.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:06 PM

402 posts, read 1,021,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy311 View Post
In reply to your comment,
I agree people here can be cordial and friendly when it comes to work situations and those outside of what affects them personally.
I challenge you the next time you go to the Mall or any other public place, walk up to anyone and attempt to strike up a conversation.Unless you're talking to someone in Dallas, people here likely won't engage you unless you are asking the time.
I have lived in many places including the south,but here unless people know you, they don't want to know you, or your business.(I have lived here over 32 years) People here tend to be distrustful initially until they get to know you, and I tend to be the the same way. It doesn't mean we don't care, just that we prefer it that way.
My neighbors are also that way, I don't go out of my way to know them,and that's just fine with me.
Well, I guess this settles it. If I am to move to Seattle, I'll just have to expect the attitude along with all of the positives.

It appears that you've tried to package a general cold, standoffish, and unpleasant attitude as something that is common to the human experience, almost a virtue. I have to tell you, in most areas being distrustful of others until you get to know them is usually associated with either paranoia or snobishness.

The quote that gets me is where you say, "here, unless people know you, they don't want to know you, or your business". Wow, is there ANYWHERE in the entire world where this can be looked at as a good thing? And I thought it was just me when I walked around in the open market at Pikes Place and was wondering why no one seemed very "open". Isn't that supposed to be a fun place?? Is it OK to meet people there in Seattle, or is that another place where people don't want to know you or your business?

And in response to where you state, "I challenge you the next time you go to the Mall or any other public place, walk up to anyone and attempt to strike up a conversation" . . . . Well, I do that literally EVERY DAY in Sacramento and I was the same way in San Fran, with very good results most of the time.

Maybe I'd not make the best friend of my life, but I'd at least engage in an interesting conversation and have a good time. I guess if I do decide to move to Seattle I'll have to expect this, and my time prior in Eastern Wa was a good indication of what the entire state is like.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:34 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Its nice being in a place where some stranger doesn't bother me while I'm trying to find some pants that fit.

Wow, I must not be ANYONE.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:54 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I have a question for anybody who cares to answer it...how many of you have lived in any northern or central European city the size of Seattle or bigger?

London, Paris, Frankfurt, Stockholm, Copenhagen, any larger central or northern European city...

I have, yes.

Am I missing something? I thought this thread was a missive about the Seattle Freeze?

Old 03-26-2009, 05:27 AM

309 posts, read 1,026,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Its nice being in a place where some stranger doesn't bother me while I'm trying to find some pants that fit.

Wow, I must not be ANYONE.
Me too. Funny how I never see these people walking up to me at the mall and starting a conversation. And I don't even live in the Seattle area yet. The only place I've even come close to seeing this is at Church.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:46 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,504 times
I do live in Seattle and I have had strangers strike up conversations with me, often when I am running errands or shopping on my lunch hour - at a bookstore, at a post office, at a liquor store, in the gym. Doesn't happen every day but it does happen.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
I do live in Seattle and I have had strangers strike up conversations with me, often when I am running errands or shopping on my lunch hour - at a bookstore, at a post office, at a liquor store, in the gym. Doesn't happen every day but it does happen.
I'm so confused.

First, based on the article, I thought I was going to be annoyed that people talk to me in elevators and bathrooms, and stop in the middle of the road to let some guy pass, and then another person comes in and says everybody in seattle are sociopaths that flip you off if you look at them.

Which is it?

(is the guy in this thread that constantly claims people in seattle are INITALLY rude right, or is the article that says that people in Seattle are initally FRIENDLY, but standoffish if you push more intimate levels of friendship right?) (does the guy in the thread have an axe to grind, or is the article hogwash? They are total opposites)

Old 03-26-2009, 05:26 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgtfc View Post
I'm so confused.

First, based on the article, I thought I was going to be annoyed that people talk to me in elevators and bathrooms, and stop in the middle of the road to let some guy pass, and then another person comes in and says everybody in seattle are sociopaths that flip you off if you look at them.

Which is it?

(is the guy in this thread that constantly claims people in seattle are INITALLY rude right, or is the article that says that people in Seattle are initally FRIENDLY, but standoffish if you push more intimate levels of friendship right?) (does the guy in the thread have an axe to grind, or is the article hogwash? They are total opposites)
Which article are you referring to ?

I think everyone's experience likely depends on their own personality. I am pleased to say mine has been mostly positive. I actually think people here are quite friendly. That being said, I don't think people who complain about the "freeze" are making up lies either.

Just wait to see for yourself and keep an open mind

Old 03-26-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
Which article are you referring to ?
The article in the third post of this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area