Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 09:26 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron of Wrath View Post
No, you're gay, you are just clearly still well within the denial stage.
Prove it!! Being gay means being attracted to someone of the same sex. I am attracted to women.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
Hmmmmm ... "Seattle Freeze" has somehow morphed into "Are Pink Shirts Gay?"...
How did THAT happen?
I think what happened is that there was some talking about the dating scene in Seattle.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:35 PM

807 posts, read 2,258,314 times
Pale skin was made for pink. I don't like pink (unless its in a pocket square/tie) so I settle for lavender. Which is like my nuclear bomb of lady-attracting colors. Seriously. I set off smoke alarms. Throw a little spray of Gucci Envy on that and goodnight everybody- all your ladies are belong to me.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
Pale skin was made for pink. I don't like pink (unless its in a pocket square/tie) so I settle for lavender. Which is like my nuclear bomb of lady-attracting colors. Seriously. I set off smoke alarms. Throw a little spray of Gucci Envy on that and goodnight everybody- all your ladies are belong to me.
I wouldn't say any particular skin tone is made for pink(or isn't). I know White men who wear pink(and look good in it), and Black men who wear pink(and look good in it). It depends on the person. Maybe pink isn't for your personal taste. Maybe "setting off smoke alarms" as you say, is good for dating. Maybe it might help those who are trying to tackle this "Seattle Freeze".

How did we get to talking about pink on this thread. Some people were probably talking about the dating scene as it relates to the "Seattle Freeze" and some people might have been trying ways to get a date. Perhaps it is within that context that the subject of clothes, mainly pink, came up.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:25 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I wouldn't say any particular skin tone is made for pink(or isn't).
Clearly you weren't around in the 80's reading "Color Me Beautiful". Pink is best for someone in the "summer" palette and works for a "winter" but is a big no-no for "spring" and "falls" unless it is more of a salmon (pink with a warm undertone).

Old 11-02-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Clearly you weren't around in the 80's reading "Color Me Beautiful". Pink is best for someone in the "summer" palette and works for a "winter" but is a big no-no for "spring" and "falls" unless it is more of a salmon (pink with a warm undertone).
I was born in 1986, so I was probably too young to remember.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:10 PM

260 posts, read 768,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I am old enough to remember Color me Beautiful (I am an autumn) and agree with what you say regarding the pink thing.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:06 PM

62 posts, read 160,781 times
Well, getting back to the Seattle Freeze:

When I first moved here, everyone I met who was a transplant from somewhere else told me about the Seattle Freeze, how the people are passive agressive, don't return calls or emails, it is impossible to make friends, you'll never find a date, etc. I had literally never before heard so much negativity from people about the city where they lived, yet many of these people had been here for years.

In the almost six months since I've moved here, I've met a lot of people and I can honestly say that the natives, generally speaking, are pretty down to earth, friendly, relaxed people. The majority of them are not super-introverted or stand-offish in the least. The same cannot be said for many of the transplants who moved here from elsewhere, usually for a job. Every time that I have not had an email or text returned, or not had someone follow up with me after we made tentative plans to get together, it has been a transplant.

I have some theories about this:

1) Many of the people who move here from elsewhere for a job are very career driven Type A personalities. Often they work for the big tech companies and put in long hours and are concerned with climbing the corporate ladder. Even though they say that they want to get together and hang out, work and the process of settling into a new area gets in the way. Basically, for a lot of them, work comes first, and their social life revolves around getting together with others from their company to talk shop.

2) People who are Type A like to schedule things and aren't known for being very spontaneous. Factor in the tech culture (stereotypically introverted, nerdy, sometimes low on what non-quantitative people consider social graces) and the high demands of many of the companies here and it isn't exactly a recipe for casual socializing over lunch, drinks, what-have-you.

3) Many people here do want to make friends and have a group to hang out with. The problem is that you meet someone, hit it off, say that you will hang out, but neither of you has more friends to introduce the other person to. No one has a group for you to join. It is a very stark contrast to Washington DC (where I moved here from) where in order to make friends you just went out and talked to one or two people and the next thing you knew, you had a social life. People joined tons of networking groups, contacted their alumni association, or volunteered somewhere, and over the course of the evening people would break off in clumps and go up the street to a bar. At the end of the evening you just exchanged phone numbers and stayed in touch.

I don't think that the Seattle Freeze is a freeze exactly. It isn't something that is particular to this area or done on purpose. It is simply the effect of so many people coming here from elsewhere to work long hours and make money. The west coast in general has a reputation of being more laid back than the east coast and having a better quality of life. That is the stereotype anyway, but I don't think it is necessarily true. We have laid back people back east (again, they tend to be the natives) and there are some super stressed out people out here. It isn't the coasts, it is the people who relocate to them. I think where people get thrown off with Seattle is that they come here thinking it will be more laid back than other places, a nice mountain town with city amenities, etc., then they choose the same lifestyle that they had elsewhere and history repeats itself.

It is possible to make friends here and have a social life, but you have to work at it. It will take more time than in many other cities though. Join stuff, go out, and eventually you will find a niche. If it still isn't working, it may simply be that the area isn't a good fit for you.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:04 PM

807 posts, read 2,258,314 times
Very good post.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 AM

191 posts, read 510,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
Make your time
They set us up the Gucci Envy bomb.

mod interpose: Thanks to Rosie for trying to get the thread back on topic. From this point forward, discussions on pink shirts, etc. will be removed as "off topic." Thanks.

Last edited by scirocco22; 11-29-2010 at 12:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area