Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 05:39 PM

76 posts, read 217,195 times

Advertisements

this thread should be "sticky" - seriously. this is an important aspect of living in Seattle - as much as the rainy weather - particularly for transplants.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:01 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citislicker View Post
this thread should be "sticky" - seriously. this is an important aspect of living in Seattle - as much as the rainy weather - particularly for transplants.
It was for the longest time and then it was removed from "sticky" status. I am not sure why.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:08 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
It was for the longest time and then it was removed from "sticky" status. I am not sure why.
As I recall it was something to do with the number of sticky topics allowed in each forum...

Old 03-07-2011, 11:34 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
I am just now finding out that it was removed from the "sticky" status.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:59 AM

30 posts, read 101,917 times
My thoughts on the "Seattle Freeze" after having lived in a friendly Southern city (Atlanta), a Southern city full of northern transplants and people from other countries (Miami), and now Seattle:

I really think that experiencing the freeze has more to do with your personality. Seattleites are a lot more introverted than people in the Southeast, but they are still pretty nice people. In Atlanta, most often people will exchange greetings/smile with their neighbors, then end up getting into a 20 minute long conversation. Here, most people will look down/up/everywhere else to not make eye contact. However, I've found that a smile and hello go a long way here. People tend to open up, and the freeze thaws eventually.

I'm a pretty friendly, outgoing person and by not being afraid to be there first person to initiate conversation, I've managed to already make friends, go out, and meet even more people (and I've only been here a week). To compare, it took me about 6 months living in Miami to make a good, solid set of friends (if you think people are unfriendly here, try spending some time living in Miami, and I don't just mean hanging out on touristy South Beach). Really, people are friendly here, but don't expect people to bend over backwards to engage in conversation/become friends with you.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:03 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,206 times
A lot of people in Seattle spend time pursuing their outdoor hobbies. Unless you have a similar interest, people are generally less available for passive activities in favor of active/outdoor ones.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:06 PM

30 posts, read 101,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
A lot of people in Seattle spend time pursuing their outdoor hobbies. Unless you have a similar interest, people are generally less available for passive activities in favor of active/outdoor ones.
This is very true. I've noticed that as soon as you tell people that you're interested in trying snowboarding/skiing/hiking/some other outdoor activity, the invitations start rolling in, and people open up a lot more.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:47 PM

130 posts, read 386,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
I am an introvert for sure, and can't handle certain "friendly" people well. What I'm talking about is the people who publically proclaim "what's a matter, don't you like us?" when you don't pop into their office every morning to say hello! I can't stand people like that! I am definitely the type to return a greeting though, and the idea that someone will respect me and not think that I must hate their guts if I don't make eye contact and smile in the hallway is very refreshing.
I am exactly the same way!! I've been thinking a little more closely about moving to the Seattle area for that main reason. The more I hear people say that the people there are "cold and rude", I think to myself, "great!! maybe I can be left the hell alone"...my only concern are the transplants from California who will probably bring their "you must love me" attitides with them.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:52 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_mia_sea View Post
This is very true. I've noticed that as soon as you tell people that you're interested in trying snowboarding/skiing/hiking/some other outdoor activity, the invitations start rolling in, and people open up a lot more.
Maybe the reason some people (like myself) think the freeze has to be exaggerated is because the very definition of "freeze" is so subjective. For example, what you describe sounds perfectly normal to me. I live in a friendly town now. I have one neighbor originally from MS that will try to strike up a long conversation constantly. It annoys me a little. I'm a friendly guy. I say hi to everyone. I don't hate my neighbor from MS at all. We just have little in common with each other. I don't want to pretend to be BFF. Now, if he had any of the same interests that I have, it would be a different story. So I guess if we lived in Seattle he would assume that my distancing myself was because of the Seattle freeze...

I don't expect anyone to invite me to dinner, a BBQ, or a game of pool after work just because I encountered them and said hi. It would actually seem weird to me. Apparently some people do expect that, and anything less is a freeze. If I'm at work, or a meetup group, and I have something in common with someone, or our personalities gel, surely I'll invite the person to something. My wife and I are sociable creatures. But I certainly wouldn't invite someone just because we met each other and talked for a minute. That seems perfectly normal to me and definitely not a freeze. I guess in some parts of the country people like to fake the funk and pretend to be BFF when they are not. This is probably one of the reasons Seattle seems to fit me like a glove.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:54 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
I have yet to live in Seattle, but have visited numerous times for varying lengths of time. Perhaps it is because I am a born-and-raised West Coaster (California) myself, but I do not recall ever noticing anything that resembles the stereotypical "freeze".

I am not suggesting that it doesn't exist, Seattle surely has its own residential quirks and mannerisms, as does every where else. It's just easy for outsiders to notice that difference and place a label on it, or think that locals are "rude" because they are not like the folks back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area