Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 10:40 PM

7 posts, read 24,688 times

Advertisements

All I can say is, the "Seattle Freeze" is very real and worse than you could imagine. It's so bad, that for me the freeze ruins whatever appealing this town has to offer.

You'll find that nearly the only people who don't believe the Freeze exists are those who were born here and know nothing else.

So...after several years of trying, I'm giving up and am out in just a few weeks. The nightmare is over. No more PacNW...No more rain-soaked months of cold, lifeless people.

Bye, bye little town blue.

Last edited by Relocation101; 02-24-2008 at 11:00 PM..

Old 02-25-2008, 12:45 AM

474 posts, read 1,454,679 times
Default Don't let the door

hit ya on the keister on your way out, and all that....

Seriously... sorry you had such a bad go of it. No place is good for everybody.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:49 PM

11 posts, read 55,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
I'm thinking this whole freeze thing is just an excuse for big city living. Your on the west coast which has a rep of being very friendly, throw in a big major city and you will create a big city enviroment, thus creating the "freeze". You wanna experience a freeze? Come to NYC, Chicago, or Philly.
I live in Chicago now after 4 years in Seattle, and the only 'freeze' I've experienced is the weather. I made more friends here (that have actually BECOME friends, not just polite acquaintances who will never return your calls or reciprocate your invitations) in the first month than I did in my 4 year Seattle tenure.

The reason this thread lives on is that so many people experience or have the perception that the Seattle Freeze is real, and to them (and me) it is/was. But I do agree that rather than languish in and ***** about it, you should really just move if you find it sucking your soul dry. I did, and don't miss it an ounce.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:20 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,330,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmikeyt View Post
I live in Chicago now after 4 years in Seattle, and the only 'freeze' I've experienced is the weather. I made more friends here (that have actually BECOME friends, not just polite acquaintances who will never return your calls or reciprocate your invitations) in the first month than I did in my 4 year Seattle tenure.

The reason this thread lives on is that so many people experience or have the perception that the Seattle Freeze is real, and to them (and me) it is/was. But I do agree that rather than languish in and ***** about it, you should really just move if you find it sucking your soul dry. I did, and don't miss it an ounce.
What do you like more about Chicago than Seattle? I live in IN near Chicago and, while I'm not looking to move to Seattle, I think it would be a nice place to live and would rather be in Seattle than Chicago.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:17 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,230,752 times
The Seattle Freeze just doesn't exist for me. I made more friends, have much better neighbors and have a much better social scene than probably anywhere I lived, and I lived in quite a few places. I new about bad drivers in Seattle but never heard of this Freeze thing until I discovered City-Data. I think Seattle is a great city to meet people. Cool neighbors who bought over homeade bread and cakes to welcome me to the neighborhood, to the old white woman inviting me, the tall black guy over for lemonade because it was hot outside. To running into one of the Kiro TV reporters at Nordstrom downtown who I invited to my home for my Christmas party, who actually came. Not just these incidents but I met so many great people who I now call lifelong friends. I see absolutely no freeze.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:05 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,050,891 times
There is a similar conversation going on in the Denver forum where I've just posted a similar message. I've long maintained that it is not endemic to Seattle, it is something that happens in many place throughout the country, it's part of life in modern America.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:17 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,818,856 times
When I lived in Seattle, literally dozens of my clients who moved to Seattle from different places reported the same exact frustration with building friendships and community in the Puget Sound. These were all socially competent people who had lots of friends in the places from which they had come, so blaming their personalities or approachability makes no sense.

I am completely sure there is something going on that is specific to Seattle, something uniquely different than what occurs in other major metro areas. It is not one of Seattle's most endearing characteristics.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:02 PM

93 posts, read 307,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgrace214 View Post
Hi there- how does Seattle treat newcomers? Is it difficult to meet people? I am a single woman exploring moving from New Jersey (yuck :-) to the area to be near more people my age (I'm 28), live near more parks, greenery, and water, but also be near a city that has a vibrant culture with lots of performing/visual arts events. I'm into outdoors activities like hiking, running, biking, cultural events, and also the arts scene. Part of my hesitancy to move is that I'd be coming in alone, just knowing a couple people in the area. Please let me know if you have any insights- thanks!

Also, any advice for a good area for a single person to live? I worked in Bellevue for a month but found it too "suburby" for my taste.

Thank you!!!
People are friendly, but thats about it

You will be enjoying the activities by yourself mostly

Old 03-07-2008, 11:07 PM

349 posts, read 1,544,232 times
My husband is from the PNW (Portland & Seattle) and after reading much of this thread, it makes more sense. He is definately reserved and at times can be downright anti-social. Not all the time but it definately comes out. He doesn't appreciate unsolicited advice or friendly comments from people in line. He doesn't like neighbors just showing up at the door or running over to his car while he's driving off. He wants to be left alone after a long day at work but he can be the life of the party if he's in the mood. He is honestly a nice person and treats his close friends like gold but doesn't warm up to people immediately like most living here (I live in San Diego). He once told me he was a "high functioning introvert".

Old 03-07-2008, 11:21 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,349,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
literally dozens of my clients who moved to Seattle from different places reported the same exact frustration with building friendships and community in the Puget Sound. These were all socially competent people who had lots of friends in the places from which they had come
Hi Topaz! Agreed with your post, particularly the highlighted areas.

When educated, attractive, outgoing and conventional people have trouble building friendships and rapport in an area, and they report it over and over, there is a problem with the area (or something in its water)...and not the people.

You will hardly see this general theme on other city boards, but it is prevalent in these three:
- Seattle (the Freeze)
- Portland (a similar version)
- Minneapolis (Minnesota Nice)
So, if people are enraged that they want to keep talking about it on these 3 boards, then there's something to it, right?

Now, my "armchair psychologist" reasons...and my collegiate training is FAR from psychology:
the weather is either morose or downright harsh, so it's hard on people
the population base of "founding fathers" is heavily Nordic, stereotyped as the most reserved, aloof and stoic of the world's peoples
people come here (not as much to MPLS) to "get away" from things....their laundry list of "I hated this when I lived in (insert name of previous city)." On the other hand, people go to Atlanta, Dallas, Miami or L.A. to be a part of something, to be outdoors in a more temperate Sunbelt climate zone, or to immerse themselves in an industry or a mecca of sorts

I loved Seattle's enthralling beauty and interesting surroundings...and wasn't too put off by the weather....however, I bordered on hating the natives!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area