U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-29-2011, 10:57 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,825,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Your reading comprehension could use some work. This isn't something new and its not confined to the Microsoft or Seattle tech community.
Wired 9.12: The Geek Syndrome
Unfortunately, my reading comprehension is just fine. This thread is full of so many outrageous insults and inane comments that I really wish otherwise.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:05 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,852,184 times
I endured 8 years in Seattle. Now I only go there occasionally on business.
Its not about being new. The freeze doesn't thaw.
After getting out of there I literally felt like I came back to life waking from a long bad dream.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:21 PM

903 posts, read 1,111,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
I endured 8 years in Seattle. Now I only go there occasionally on business.
Its not about being new. The freeze doesn't thaw.
After getting out of there I literally felt like I came back to life waking from a long bad dream.
That is interesting. Was it the weather, the people, or both? Or was it the people more.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
That is interesting. Was it the weather, the people, or both? Or was it the people more.
The people.
I lived in Seattle proper. I did notice folks in suburbs allot nicer.
Decided to get out of there anyway.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:02 PM

You will NOT experience freeze and like Seattle allot if:
1. You regularly smoke pot
2. You get your news info from MSNBC and the Comedy Channel .
3. You’re really cool with recreational drug use and or do it yourself.
4. You’re a young lesbian.
5. You’re into tattoos and body piercings.
6. You’re an atheist – or - you’re into the occult especially Wicca.
7. You’re a hardcore environmentalist that sees capitalism as the root of all evil.
8. The only time you don’t vote Dem is when you vote Green.
9. You’re a naturalist/nudist.
10. Any combination of the above.

Last edited by _Charles_; 07-29-2011 at 01:11 PM..

Old 07-29-2011, 01:11 PM

7,936 posts, read 5,684,253 times
Quote:
You will like Seattle allot if:
3. You’re really cool with recreational drug use and or do it yourself.
4. You’re a young lesbian.
5. You’re into tattoos and body piercings.
6. You’re an atheist – or - you’re into the occult especially Wicca.
7. You’re a hardcore environmentalist that sees capitalism as the root of all evil.
8. The only time you don’t vote Dem is when you vote Green.
9. You’re a naturalist/nudist.
That's a bit harsh...

I mean, I left Seattle because of the people, too, but it had little to do with what people decide to do in the privacy of their own home or whether they want to get a cupcake tattooed behind their ear.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:47 PM

42 posts, read 61,393 times
Quote:
3. Youíre really cool with recreational drug use and or do it yourself.
4. Youíre a young lesbian.
5. Youíre into tattoos and body piercings.
6. Youíre an atheist Ė or - youíre into the occult especially Wicca.
7. Youíre a hardcore environmentalist that sees capitalism as the root of all evil.
8. The only time you donít vote Dem is when you vote Green.
9. Youíre a naturalist/nudist.

Maybe your just an a-hole, that's why you had a hard time making friends?? Just a thought.

I understand why people who don't live here, but have an interest in Seattle or plan on moving here, post on here and keep up with topics. What I don't understand is why people like you and 415_2k, etc. waste their time reading posts and commenting when they don't like the town. It's weird. You all have a lot of time on your hands in your new locations as well it looks like!

Old 07-29-2011, 01:53 PM

1,082 posts, read 487,478 times
Is this the most random list you could come up with ?

Old 07-29-2011, 02:37 PM

552 posts, read 586,057 times
Quote:
3. Youíre really cool with recreational drug use and or do it yourself.
4. Youíre a young lesbian.
5. Youíre into tattoos and body piercings.
6. Youíre an atheist Ė or - youíre into the occult especially Wicca.
7. Youíre a hardcore environmentalist that sees capitalism as the root of all evil.
8. The only time you donít vote Dem is when you vote Green.
9. Youíre a naturalist/nudist.
Hmmm... So I guess, by that rationale you will only experience the Freeze if you're a Tea Party Republican ?

That does explain a lot ..

BTW, I think I'm about 2 for 10 on your list, which might qualify me as a Marxist-Leninist Community Organizer in the eyes of a regular non-frozen hard working patriot such as yourself. No wonder I feel at home here

Old 07-29-2011, 04:41 PM

157 posts, read 81,682 times
I'm a third generation Seattleite and I just read about the "Freeze" for the first time a couple years ago, so I've started paying attention to it. I can give you a little insight on where I'm coming from, maybe. Please keep in mind that I'm just one person giving my opinion about my thoughts and I don't represent the whole city of Seattle.

First, I'll say, I've travelled around the world and every big city has a lot of people minding their own business and who are in a hurry and have places to be. The friendliest place I've ever been in my life is Ireland, but if I lived there and had stuff to do, it would take me half a day to walk across town, since I would need to stop and greet everyone along the way. Many people in Ireland had time to do that.

I was brought up that everyone is equal and you stayed out of other people's business. I don't gossip a whole lot, because I don't know enough about you to have much to say. If you're my friend, then I know enough about you, but you're my friend, so I don't gossip about you. I've met people from the "South" who seem so friendly in the beginning and it feels quite refreshing. Then the underhanded jabs with a smile come out or the passive agressive fake friendliness. Then I feel like I need to avoid you, because I'm not confrontational enough to call you on it. Lesson learned - being friendly doesn't mean you're nice.

I never expected a boy to open a door for me, because I wasn't a wilting flower. On the otherhand, after having doors practically slammed in my face while I was 9 months pregnant or carrying a baby, made me realize why it would be nice to do that for someone. We definitely don't teach a lot of "proper behavior and manners" around here, but maybe we should.

I also learned, as a young female, that making eye contact with strangers on the street or on the bus landed you in situations with pretty creepy people and that for my own safety, I probably shouldn't do that. That was from my years around the UW.

For me, genuine friendships are more important. My sister-in-law in Chicago is one of the friendliest, most outgoing people I've ever met (I'm married to her shy brother, who loves Seattle :-) ). She's so nice that she will try to make it to 3 birthday parties and 2 soccer practices in the same weekend. She doesn't want to be rude, so she'll never shut someone out who tries to interupt a conversation. I find her simply exhausting. It's hard to have a true conversation, because she's always listening to 3 people at the same time, so not really hearing anyone. I've learned that when she asks a questions, she is being polite and doesn't necessarily need to hear the answer. I've also found that some of my husbands old Chicago buddies are some of the nicest people I've ever met, but then I find out that some of them asked me personal questions about things not to get to know me better, but so that they had fodder for their own gossip. I've learned to be more cautious in my conversations with some of them.

I like to speak honestly. To do that, you have to make sure you're in good company and trust that you aren't boring someone, or just giving them things to talk about with other people. I have found a lot of true friends around me, but I'm cautious among people that I don't know well. It also breaks my heart a little when I meet people that I really like to talk with, only never to see or talk with them again - which is why I don't make a lot of friends on vacation.

The weather... Ugh! I'm a native and I want to crawl under a rock most of the year. I don't feel like doing anything, including cleaning my house. People undervalue sunshine, even if it's too hot to be outside and you just have to look at it from inside. The sun comes out and I want to clean my house. The sun comes out and I want to go outside and talk to people. The sun comes out and suddenly the most mundane things just feel a little easier. It's a great pick me up and motivator. Without it I could hole up in front of the fireplace with a good book forever. If only the sun would come out more often...

Notice that the British sense of humor and sarcasm reign supreme around here (they live in gloom just as much as us). I think that so many of us are so used to being disappointed by the weather, that we are grumpy and it feels like the only way we can muster a joke or to keep from crying. If you can't be sarcastic and complain a little, we don't think you're being real. Notice that when people talk about friendliness they relate it to the South. The South is sunny people! It makes a difference!

The cost of living in Seattle ... I have two small children and a house in the city. We have to have two full time incomes to support ourselves and I have a lot of things to do to run that household. I also need to be home as much as possible for my family. That means I have very little free time and I'm always in a hurry when I'm out and about. When I have a day off, I need to clean house, do laundry, go to the grocery store, talk to my family, etc. To plan a playdate means I need to get up early that morning and clean house before they come over. Then I spend hours socializing and after that I realize that I had so much to do that didn't get done. I'm exhausted and I feel like I'm running on a hamster wheel. I often look at stay at home moms with envy, because I feel like they have more time to get to know each other and create new friendships within the neighborhood and then it's hard to insert yourself in those friendships when you can't give it much time.

The traffic... It's hard to make friends once you get out of school and most of the people you meet now are at work. Well I work in the city and No one I work with lives anywhere near me. I have made some very dear friends at work, but the thought of driving 1 hour from home to socialize for few hours just doesn't feel doable. So socializing is an event. One of us will plan a party and people will come, but that's a lot of work, so it's understandable that it just doesn't happen that often (especially if you have kids).

Believe it or not, I'm a pretty outgoing person who loves to talk (you would probably want me to shut up once you got me going) and socialize. I have lots of friends. I love my neighborhood and my neighbors (who I see from May until October, when they come outside) and I've found a place to hang out in my neighborhood where I've made lots of casual friends. But I do find it almost painfully hard to sync schedules with people and invite people over. I want to plan a fabulous get together in my backyard, but I can't be sure when we'll have nice enough weather to do that.

My tips would be to find a group/neighborhood you belong in. People will tattoo themselves so they can recognize each other (likemindedness) on the street. When I drove an old VW camper, other owners on the road would wave at me. We like to feel like we belong to something around here, but it takes us a minute to recognize whether we're in that company. We allow all kinds of people to live the way they want around here, but we don't necessarily want to hang out with them. If you like to go to a bar, frequent someplace and get to know the bartender. They will in turn introduce you to other people at the bar they think you might like.

Learn to have a sense of humor - we like a good joke around here and like to complain a little (hence the sarcasm), but complain about your work, the weather, the traffic, but not the people. Don't tell us we're unfriendly or we will be. Don't talk about others, because we like to let people be and you might be describing someone we care about. We'll also let you be. We won't tell you to your face that you're rude, we'll just "freeze" you out. Good or bad, that's just our style.

We rarely want to discuss your religion or views of religion (find a church to socialize at, if this is your favorite topic) and politics are always a hot topic. We like to talk about good restaurants, places we've travelled to, hiking, kids, etc.

Being outgoing is a skill, in my mind, that doesn't get cultivated enough around here. Unfortunately, it seems to be easier to make you more withdrawn like us than for you to draw us out, but don't stop trying. But beware, we shy away from "in your face" outgoingness. I, for one, am just afraid that you are going to be too obnoxious to contend with on a regular basis and you might try to get me to confront you, rather than be quiet and "PC" like I would prefer ;-).

There is also probably something to be said about the whole tech thing. I work in insurance. Hordes of people are moving into our area from other states and other countries. Some of them are painfully hard to talk to over the phone for business purposes, let alone get to know as friends. I would agree that people with fantastic skills in technology really struggle with social skills.

Irish pubs or bars where you can hear people speak (not clubs or live band venues) are a great place to meet people. I don't get out much these days, but I met my husband in a bar and usually don't have a problem finding people to talk to in them. When I have struggled, I've just been in the wrong bar or in the wrong neighborhood and they didn't feel like I belonged there. I do find that when I manage to make a couple great friends, or acquaintences, they introduce me to more and that's how my friend network grows.

Whew! I wasn't kidding when I said you couldn't shut me up! I know it doesn't make it easier to deal around here, but maybe this can help with a little more understanding. Try talking to someone after the sun has been out for 5 days solid (I know - it's rare!) and you might have an easier time getting people to engage back. Good luck to you all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area