U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-28-2008, 12:00 AM

5,559 posts, read 7,520,314 times
Thanks for the rep point! I just learned what those were a short bit ago (thanks allforcats!)...

If it's a form of therapy, and helping others let off steam, then I'll stop rolling my eyes every time I see this thread at the top of the page... I'm all for outlets!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:04 AM

3,226 posts, read 9,539,280 times
Just get out people - get out!!! I did, you can too!

There is life after the freeze thaws....

Old 03-28-2008, 08:09 AM

4,648 posts, read 8,192,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
What's it accomplishing? It's therapeutic. Since we can't be sitting in a hot tub in Marin holding hands in a circle, we'll do this instead!

This made me laugh out loud. Robertpolyglot, if you ever come through Houston, I'll have coffee with you.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:26 AM

14,755 posts, read 13,485,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
This made me laugh out loud. Robertpolyglot, if you ever come through Houston, I'll have coffee with you.
Yeah, I was thinking about you are faring out there...so far, ok, right?

Old 03-28-2008, 08:41 AM

4,648 posts, read 8,192,642 times
Default Pacific Northwest to Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Yeah, I was thinking about you are faring out there...so far, ok, right?
We've only been here a week but so far, so good. Lots of sun, which we are soaking in. Since we've been busy with move logistics, we haven't seen much other than our own neighborhood. But I've been pleasantly surprised by how green Houston is. I thought moving from the Pacific Northwest I would really miss the trees but Houston has trees, too.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:36 PM

43 posts, read 112,330 times
Default Freeze password

All ya gota say to get into Oompa-loompaville:

"take me to your leader"

Last edited by Hbud; 03-29-2008 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-30-2008, 02:02 AM

2 posts, read 3,739 times
Default Freeze This!

I'm from Seattle, and only heard the name "Seattle Freeze" a few years ago. In a way I have always known about it without naming it, and I like it. It's not a very nice thing to want to freeze someone out, but I have been guilty of using that as an option. We do have a rep. for being nice people here-nice to your face, but having no intention of calling you up to go out or have lunch, or be to close in your life. We wouldn't want to go that far.... One big thing I notice when visiting other city's, like on the East coast or something, is all the street noise! I never thought cars had horns! Here in the emerald city no one uses them- quiet as a mouse here in the downtown area. People should like that I would think. In fact I heard there is a law about how/when to use your horn. Is that true? Growing up here I have made plenty of friends in my adult life, but have zero contact with anyone from my childhood, but there are many other reasons for that. Most everyone that I call my friend now has come from a church I go to called Grace Seattle, and from there I have learned to thaw out a little.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:24 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,839,259 times
[. One big thing I notice when visiting other city's, like on the East coast or something, is all the street noise! I never thought cars had horns! Here in the emerald city no one uses them- quiet as a mouse here in the downtown area."

That's so funny. When my husband moved from Seattle here to NC, he admitted that he didn't even know where his car's horn was. I get frustrated when riding with him because I just want to reach over and honk at people.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:39 AM

819 posts, read 1,848,961 times
I know where mine is and I will use it! I did get called an f'in b**** last year when I tapped it to let the lady who was trying to take the parking spot I'd been waiting for know that I was already waiting for it. I'm still going to use it...it's always for people who are just not paying attention.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:37 PM

536 posts, read 2,060,741 times
I was reading another thread that was not necessarily freeze related (saterno), but I had an idea and wanted to post it before I forget.

I've always considered Seattle's weather the main reason for it being a kind of dreary place to live (I've also lived in many places), *but* I've come to believe there may be another piece of data that largely helps explain it.

I think for some reason people that are ardent that Seattle is perfect and is a super duper place to live, seem to be mostly 40 and over (or mentally in that category). I haven't put in enough thought to exactly why this seems to occur, or if it's just my corner of the world. Am I off on this idea? I'm just wondering if there is a consensus to those who like it and those who don't, and a correlation with age.

I've always thought Seattle was one of the most *boring* places I've ever lived or spent considerable time in. When I travel I am reminded that things haven't changed that much, it's just how Seattle is. I always thought it was the weather, and then the tech environment that were condusive to this unique area of America, but it just occurred to me, maybe it has something to do with age?

Btw, I'm 39 but I put my mental age at about 28 (others put it at 18-22).

And again, this is in addition to the weather, not the primary reason. Maybe this ties into some of the socialbility issues Seattle has. When you hit that mental age of 40, there may be a tendency to care less about socializing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area