U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-31-2008, 01:41 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,639,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryAficionado View Post
Ah, but the 19th century (and parts of the early 20th) was a much simpler time, wasn't it? Why, oh, why did Dr. Spock have to come along with his new-fangled ways and fancy talk?

I started another thread on this topic, would be interesting to see what you have to say there. Maybe you can deter a few more people from moving here and ruining your dinner.
The thing is, my folks religiously followed Spock, or thought they did. I was never hit. Ever. I loved and trusted my parents. I wanted their love and respect and tended to be a very obedient kid. I am rearing my cat the same way, too, and he responds to this.

You know how there were smoking and non-smoking sections of restaraunts? There should also be no children sections. Well, no brat sections. Good kids are seldom noticed by other diners. It is only the loadmouths who their parents cannot control that get on everyone's nerves.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:48 PM

826 posts, read 1,940,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
The thing is, my folks religiously followed Spock, or thought they did. I was never hit. Ever. I loved and trusted my parents. I wanted their love and respect and tended to be a very obedient kid. I am rearing my cat the same way, too, and he responds to this.

You know how there were smoking and non-smoking sections of restaraunts? There should also be no children sections. Well, no brat sections. Good kids are seldom noticed by other diners. It is only the loadmouths who their parents cannot control that get on everyone's nerves.
This is not even close to being on topic anymore. You should take this over to the parenting forum. We have enough stuff to argue about on this thread already.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:41 PM

27,550 posts, read 22,907,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Your location says GA. I'm assuming it's metro Atlanta. I lived there, buying my first home ever in my mid-20s, followed by a purchase of a T.H. in Seattle's Eastside suburbs.

Atlanta can be snooty in ways, thanks to the Southern aristocracy (the Greek system is big in their colleges, followed by the debutante/country club mentality and then...baddabing...the mint julep on the verandah ) coined to counter perceived elitism in the North. My take, sorry. But you know what, there were also a lot of nice people in Atlanta that the moderately outgoing person could meet. The transplants were all wanting to meet other people and I made most of my friends among them. I don't pay for a hotel room in ATL when I go back. Now, the LOCALS (i.e. the Southerners) weren't as receptive. Yes, they were more cordial than a native NWer and you might even get an invite...but the depth of the friendship wasn't what is was with other Yankees. They hold back on some level whereas, with Yanks, it was all out on the table.

The problem with Seattle and Portland is that the moderately and even decidedly outgoing person has a bit of an uphill climb in making meaningful friendships, even with other transplants. The whole thing described in the article festers (like kudzu spreads in ATL). I only speak to one person in Seattle, a co-worker and a professional, after having left and I don't like him nearly as much as I like my co-worker friends from ATL who could "yuck it up" and didn't seem so damn perenially "overcast" and morose.
I living in the suburbs of metro Atlanta. The fraternity thing down here. I don't do fraternities. Not my thing. My father did. I don't though. There might be some debutante events still around, but I don't see it in the suburbs. I never go into the city of Atlanta unless I can get a ride there because the mass transit system down here is a joke(I live in Kennesaw, which rejected MARTA). All I know about the debutante stuff down here is that the rich people do it and I never try to get into it. The country club mentality I am even vaguely familiar with because there are "country club subdivisions", but I never even get as far as into the subdivision because you have to be rich. I used to live in Savannah and I never saw any of the mint julep stuff. Then again I live on the outer ends of Savannah in a subdivision and I was 8 years old. I never see that stuff in Atlanta. Most of what you describe is more Old South ways. I have dealt with out of staters and many of them do have more a depth to them. That is one thing I have noticed. Many of them have told me that alot of southerners have that "fake nice" to them. I wouldn't be surprised because I do see it alot. Not everyone is like this, but I have seen it. As for Seattle's quandary, I think Seattleites tend to be quieter. Southerners are more outgoing and seem less melancholy than people from the PNW. IMHO,it's the same everywhere. My own experience with the Seattle area is vastly different than what others have described to me. I had plenty of friends and my mother did more socializing in the Everett,WA area than se currently does now living in GA. Then again I was 5 years old and things may have changed since then, but who knows.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:37 AM

4 posts, read 7,334 times
I don't buy this seattle freeze I have had no problem (and I'm from oklahoma). Besides at least were not as stuck up as NYC.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:26 AM

14,755 posts, read 15,343,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Most of what you describe is more Old South ways. I have dealt with out of staters and many of them do have more a depth to them. That is one thing I have noticed. Many of them have told me that alot of southerners have that "fake nice" to them. I wouldn't be surprised because I do see it alot.

Southerners are more outgoing and seem less melancholy than people from the PNW.
Right, I was describing Old South ways which have eroded over the years. However, those in the South who have seen that variety of silver spoon are pretty full of themselves, almost as if the legacy lingers on. About the "fake nice" thing, a good number of Southerners in fact do the nauseating "sugarcoat" thing, while a good number are genuinely "over the backyard fence" friendly. My southern neighbors were of the nice variety, and I lived within a stone's throw of Dunwoody!

However, it would be nice if PNW (native) people could at least emote in one of those 2 directions. Then, people would have something to work with.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:35 PM

98 posts, read 11,650 times
Quote:
Right, I was describing Old South ways which have eroded over the years. However, those in the South who have seen that variety of silver spoon are pretty full of themselves, almost as if the legacy lingers on. About the "fake nice" thing, a good number of Southerners in fact do the nauseating "sugarcoat" thing, while a good number are genuinely "over the backyard fence" friendly. My southern neighbors were of the nice variety, and I lived within a stone's throw of Dunwoody!

However, it would be nice if PNW (native) people could at least emote in one of those 2 directions. Then, people would have something to work with.
You know, this is probably more ejecta in the wind, but have you ever heard of the DISC personality typing?

DISC assessment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd read about this researching something else lately and (my observation) think that there are a lot of high type "S" personalities in the Seattle area. By the way, none of the personality types is portrayed as positive or negative.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryAficionado View Post
You know, this is probably more ejecta in the wind, but have you ever heard of the DISC personality typing?

DISC assessment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd read about this researching something else lately and (my observation) think that there are a lot of high type "S" personalities in the Seattle area. By the way, none of the personality types is portrayed as positive or negative.
History, based on the first of your quotes I read, you're my "hero." Just kidding...too old for heroes. I like the level of depth and analysis you put into your posts. However, that was a fascinating link

I must be a D-I on this one....definitely not an S or a C. On the Myers Briggs, I've scored ESTJ every time I've taken it in workshops. No surprise, eh?

Learn something new EVERY day. Thank you!

Old 04-03-2008, 01:42 PM

98 posts, read 11,650 times
Quote:
History, based on the first of your quotes I read, you're my "hero." Just kidding...too old for heroes. I like the level of depth and analysis you put into your posts. However, that was a fascinating link

I must be a D-I on this one....definitely not an S or a C. On the Myers Briggs, I've scored ESTJ every time I've taken it in workshops. No surprise, eh?

Learn something new EVERY day. Thank you!
Thanks, just calling it like I see it. You know, another point to the psychology topic (that I think has been brought up, many points get lost in these long threads): it is very stressful for a person to have to modify their natural style all of the time to "deal" with other personality types. I think the high "type S" (just my observation) culture can grind many type D or type I person down.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:45 PM

432 posts, read 1,311,832 times
The personality of Seattle has changed over the years. It was always a laid back, casual place but produced some FUNNY people. Remember Almost Live? Bill Nye the Science Guy? The Pat Cashman Show? That funny quirkiness and light-hearted (not mean-spirited) poking at the Seattle culture was classic Seattle humor. Ane example was the Ballard Driving School skit-- you can find it on old best of Almost Live video if you haven't seen it. People used to REALLY drive like that not just in Ballard but around any older neighborhood. If you watch Almost Live you get great laughs at Seattle culture's silly side.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:53 PM

Yo, Scirocco, the party's moved over here. "Y'all jump on in, the water's fine."

Yes, you are right, compared to living in Nevada, one ought to kiss, or even lick, the ground if they could live in the greater Seattle area.

The alienation factor in Las Vegas or Reno is probably beyond description, especially for intelligent, thoughtful, and articulate professionals. I have never seen so much "white trash" in my life. In fact, when you ask some people about these cities, people say "well, Las Vegas is a transient town" or "well, Reno is a transient town." Once people find out how skanky they are, they transit right on through. LOL.

I have a good friend I grew up with in Los Angeles (an Italian, hooray!) who, several years ago, said "Hey, Robert, why don't you come to Las Vegas? You could buy a kick-a$$ house." She is ecstatic to have bought an awesome new home she could have not afforded in So. Cal, but I think the ecstasy stops there, because I don't see much quality in the friends, and in the friendships, she has made. I also did the "Starbucks test," sitting in coffeehouses even in nice areas like Summerlin or Henderson and thought "OMG, there is NOBODY I would want to know in these places."

So, the PNW has it over NV and many booming inland Southwestern cities in a BIG way, though, in my mind, there are better places than the PNW for people who value interpersonal relations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area