Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 05:55 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

Unbelievable....just UNBELIEVABLE.

I go away (from this site, anyway) for a month and a half and this thread just RAGES ON! I doubt a "freeze" thread has such a survival rate for any other city, so that alone speaks volumes.

Digression about some earlier comments about other groups:
Northeastern/NY-abrasiveness: I welcome it! You always know where you stand. They are generally not hard to get to know, except those of exceptional privileged standing. Last week, I had to spend a day with a high-level manager of an entity we do business with as he had to familiarize me with their operations. He was highly educated, well dressed, assertive but not obnoxious...and the son of a working class immigrant Irish family...I have actually seen this a lot in that corner of the states...people from real down-to-earth family backgrounds that became educated and successful yet are incredibly easy to talk to. In 2002, on a flight to Europe, I sat next to a Wall Street IT exec who talked to me most of the way across the Atlantic...he was very funny and very "salt of the earth"...he even offered me part of the hoagie/sub his wife had made for him. LOL. I declined. (I'm sorry, folks, but I don't encounter Northwesterns that are that extroverted).

Southerners....generalization, I know....lived in the South for 2 years....some of the "sugar-coating" is fake (and you can learn to tell) and some is somewhat sincere. It depends on the person and it depends on you, so it's an interplay of variables. My "gut instinct" is NOT to trust it. When I lived in ATL, most of my friends were from the North, so I didn't care anyway. There are way too many Yankees in ATL such that you can ignore annoying Southerners.

About Seattle's freeze: Let's ask this....
Can it change? Will it change? What would it take? Do you think people that are bothered by it just move away?

Old 06-15-2008, 06:04 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,708,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Do you think people that are bothered by it just move away?
Naw, they just get assimilated.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:52 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
The PNW is a world unto its own.......and, IMHO, San Francisco is not much different (I lived in the Bay Area from 1978-80). Using just the SF Peninsula as our guinea pig; the 'crossover point' is the border between Belmont north and San Carlos on south........I felt 'better' the further south I went when living there.

With all due respect to the Seattle crowd; I honestly think it has something to do with the overcast weather. Speaking for myself; if it is gloomy for 3+ days, even here in sunny Arizona, I start becoming 'antisocial' for want of a better word.

And trust me: the intense sun here in Arizona gets old fast.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:28 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The PNW is a world unto its own.......and, IMHO, San Francisco is not much different (I lived in the Bay Area from 1978-80). Using just the SF Peninsula as our guinea pig; the 'crossover point' is the border between Belmont north and San Carlos on south........I felt 'better' the further south I went when living there.
Thank you very much for your post. I often wondered about the Bay Area. It gives off some of that same vibe and I'm from L.A., from which it feels too different. Clearly, one can't deny that it's beautiful, but it too has a pi$$y political correctness about it. I was there for work on Wednesday and just being in Berkeley makes my hair stand on its ends.

(Now, on your San Mateo/Santa Clara county continuum, I hope Palo Alto is another exception. That's another pretentious place).

Another sidebar: So. Cal. people go up to the Bay Area and say "but it's so green" or "it's so lush." That only holds true for the side of the coastal range fronting the ocean. All of the foothills, as seen from the bay and beyond, are brown these days....just like they are anywhere in inland So. Cal.

The whole Pacific Coast seems to very niche-like, from San Diego (hedonistic as can be) all the way to Bellingham (frumpy)...my opinion.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:34 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Unbelievable....just UNBELIEVABLE.

I go away (from this site, anyway) for a month and a half and this thread just RAGES ON! I doubt a "freeze" thread has such a survival rate for any other city, so that alone speaks volumes.
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it is a sticky at the top of the page?

Old 06-18-2008, 03:51 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,512 times
Quote:
I can tell you from my own experience and that of other relocatees, that they have reached out to their neighbors, coworkers etc, without much luck. They throw parties, bbqs, etc but the neighbors don't reciprocate.
You will find the most people here are polite and face nice but hardly anyone is really friendly - lack of sociability is the essence of Seattle freeze. And it is awful.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:07 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
You will find the most people here are polite and face nice but hardly anyone is really friendly - lack of sociability is the essence of Seattle freeze. And it is awful.
Charles, are you moving away or are you still in Seattle? I seem to recall some time back you speaking of leaving.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:29 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,512 times
Quote:
Charles, are you moving away or are you still in Seattle? I seem to recall some time back you speaking of leaving.
I am working on getting out of here. After 7 years I have had all I can stand. The only hold up is lining up a comparable position in my field back in Phoenix. If the economy was in better shape, I would just sell and move and take my chances finding a new job. Believe me I am ready to leave tomorrow!

Old 06-19-2008, 12:55 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post

I am working on getting out of here. After 7 years I have had all I can stand. The only hold up is lining up a comparable position in my field back in Phoenix. If the economy was in better shape, I would just sell and move and take my chances finding a new job. Believe me I am ready to leave tomorrow!
House prices are so great in Phoenix right now. I was just there visiting my parents, and houses in their neighborhood (in Anthem, just north of Phoenix), there are 1800+ square foot houses selling for under $200,000. It made me want to buy one just to have.

V. =)

Old 06-19-2008, 12:56 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,588 times
Default Official "Seattle Freeze" Discussion Thread

How anti-social are the people? I'm sort of used to places in the South where you can go up to people and start a friendly conversation. Same thing in Northeast England, Toronto, and Montreal. I know the people in NYC, from my experience, are a bit colder about socializing, so how is it in Seattle?

Last edited by scirocco22; 06-19-2008 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: copied from original thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area