U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-25-2008, 10:54 AM

4,248 posts, read 5,179,221 times

Advertisements

Weird, I've lived in the South for 6 years, and no one has asked me where Jesus was.

My point is that there are definitely more conservative, religious parts of the South just as there are more liberal, secular areas of the South. So you know, saying that everyone here is a bible thumper is insulting to all of the FSM zealots.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:08 AM

3,738 posts, read 5,379,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
That's the same case in New Jersey, NYC, and most places in the northeast. It's just an American thing, not a Seattle thing. The south might have people who are "warm", but keep in mind that bible-thumping there is a national past time and everyone is in your business.

One thing no one is saying about Seattle: people don't have a problem minding their own business. Last time I was in Georgia, for only a week, I had FOUR come up to me, COMPLETE STRANGERS, on four different occasions and asked me "so, have you found Jesus yet?"

Can Seattle top that?

"takes time to warm up" is something I would prefer over "is 'warm' and in your face" any day.
Well, I've lived in Providence and Newport, Seattle and Spokane, a few different cities in Southern CA, Austin, TX and traveled via car through about 30 other states of the country and I will tell you that each region of this country has its own special flavor. I've only spent a few weeks in the South (I don't consider TX the South, it is TX) and never had anyone approach me about Jesus. I've had it happen here a couple of times (not counting all of the times folks from LDS or Jehovah's Witness come knocking at my door) but I've lived here for 16 years, so that means nothing.

There are differences everywhere you go. There is a lack of energy here that I've never experienced anywhere else. I don't know if it is the weather, but people just seem beaten down at times. I went to a function the other night and guest of honor is out of DC and had another guy from DC with him. They were vibrant and enthusiastic (and both dudes are 60 something!) I met a couple other people that were engaging, but over all, the crowd was just incredibly subdued and uninteresting. If you prefer that, good for you. Like I said, move out here and find out for yourself.

BTW people from Seattle and the NE are nothing like each other.

Last edited by Jennibc; 06-25-2008 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: fixing typos

Old 06-25-2008, 11:13 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,324,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Thankfully...!

Old 06-25-2008, 11:56 AM

12,411 posts, read 9,453,064 times
Quote:
Well, I've lived in Providence and Newport, Seattle and Spokane, a few different cities in Southern CA, Austin, TX and traveled the via car through about 30 other states of the country and I will tell you that each region of this country has its own special flavor. I've only spent a few weeks in the South (I don't consider TX the South, it is TX) and never had anyone approach me about Jesus. I've had it happen here a couple of times (not counting all of the times folks from LDS or Jehovah's Witness come knocking at my door) but I've lived here for 16 years, so that means nothing.

There are differences everywhere you go. There is a lack of energy here that I've never experienced anywhere else. I don't know if it is the weather, but people just seem beaten down at times. I went to function the other night and guest of honor is out of DC and had another guy from DC with him. They were vibrant and enthusiastic (and both dudes are 60 something!) I met a couple other people that were engaging, but over all, the crowd was just incredibly subdued and uninteresting. If you prefer that, good for you. Like I said, move out here and find out for yourself.

You mean nothing lights a spark under them? They get energetic about nothing? Global warming, politics, innocent people in prison, gardening, cooking, pets?

They are just sleep-walking through life?

I have not heard the freeze being put quite that way before.
The weather, I have heard, is so much like London, and people there are said to be 'reserved'. I wonder if it's the same phenomena.

I agree, though. I would rather that people keep to themselves than interject themselves into my life when they are not wanted, daring you to have the nerve to tell them to back off.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
You mean nothing lights a spark under them? They get energetic about nothing? Global warming, politics, innocent people in prison, gardening, cooking, pets?

They are just sleep-walking through life?

I have not heard the freeze being put quite that way before.
The weather, I have heard, is so much like London, and people there are said to be 'reserved'. I wonder if it's the same phenomena.

I agree, though. I would rather that people keep to themselves than interject themselves into my life when they are not wanted, daring you to have the nerve to tell them to back off.
Unless, you are going to an Obama rally, people are not particularly enthusiastic about anything out in public. Some people like it that way and more power to them.

I don't know if you would call it part of the Seattle Freeze. But maybe this lack of engagement is what leads people to think Seattleites are so standoffish.

As an extrovert, it is difficult to live here at times. It's important to note, that we have many, many friends in Seattle. I believe you can and will make friends here. I personally find the lack of public engagement so disheartening that I have lost any affection for this city and no longer want to live here (I did some consulting for the City of Seattle and talk about a hypocritical, dishonest local government; I am sure that hastened my needing an attitude/geographic adjustment) So Austin, here we come! Yeehaaaaaaa!

Old 06-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Status: "Randall Flagg:Obama's Ebola Czar" (set 16 days ago)

4,835 posts, read 5,179,771 times
[quote=Jennibc;4226267 I don't know if it is the weather, but people just seem beaten down at times.[/quote]

I don't think it could be the weather. Ireland is just as cloudy as Seattle, and yet, the Irish are, well, THE IRISH, arguably the friendliest people on Earth who like to party.

Also, being subdued has it's advantages...this is what the average Jersey guy is like, and "subdued" isn't it. Energy? I guess...but is that the kind of energy you want to be around?
YouTube - My New Haircut

I would rather be around people who are "beaten down" than people who are "energetic" like that any day.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Status: "Randall Flagg:Obama's Ebola Czar" (set 16 days ago)

4,835 posts, read 5,179,771 times
Quote:
As an extrovert, it is difficult to live here at times. It's important to note, that we have many, many friends in Seattle. I believe you can and will make friends here. I personally find the lack of public engagement so disheartening that I have lost any affection for this city and no longer want to live here
Try being an introvert in a extroverted and LOUD AND IN IN YOUR FACE place like Jersey, and you'll see it's no funny either. I am always trying to figure out nice ways of saying "I really don't like talking to people" when I'm out of the house. The other day, I was at a starbucks reading a book, "A Walk in the Woods" by Bruce Bawer, and this guy just kept asking me a million questions about it while I WAS OBVIOUSLY TRYING TO READ!

One can always live somewhere where people keep to themselves and be happy, but if you're like me, and like to keep to yourself but find yourself surrounded by people who want to make small talk all the time, people look at you like you're rude and mean when you try to give polite, subtle hints that you really would just rather be left alone.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:06 PM

8,287 posts, read 14,612,288 times
Seattle might not be bible thumpers, but it's also not "live and let live". Neighbors'll be calling the authorities instantly if they see you mixing trash with recyclables.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:12 PM

3,226 posts, read 9,877,031 times
I have met many bible thumpers in Seattle. Some very extreme religious fanatics, to put it mildly.

My kid was told he was praying to the devil, if he meditated....

Zealots, on every topic, are everywhere... again, Seattle is not immune. It has all extremes.

Seattle is definitely NOT live and let live, and tends to be "open minded, liberal and progressive" if you are also like-minded, liberal, open-minded and progressive....

Old 06-25-2008, 02:21 PM

"Energy? I guess...but is that the kind of energy you want to be around?
YouTube - My New Haircut"

That was hilarious - I now know what a Jaigerbomb is! No, that's not really the kind of energy I have in mind, but just because you don't have a subdued, introverted population, you don't necessarily have that either. I've been to Cranston, RI so I am familiar with the type, but again, there's a difference between being engaged and being obnoxious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area