U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-10-2009, 01:52 AM

24 posts, read 75,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
You can tell I am old because I have to ask what does Tl;DR mean?

lol, sorry. TL;DR translates to Too Long Didnt Read

Old 02-10-2009, 12:08 PM

129 posts, read 312,969 times
I wasn't aware that Seattle people were introverts until I moved out of there.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:30 PM

957 posts, read 248,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Maybe I didn't like it here - because I'm VERY outgoing - and get highly irrated at introverted behaviour
I've been solicited by so many Amway sellers while out & about, that a stranger who says more than hi to me gets my back up. Perhaps in the Deep South and other extroverted places, more people want to become someone's downline.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:02 PM

3,737 posts, read 5,302,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwos View Post
I've been solicited by so many Amway sellers while out & about, that a stranger who says more than hi to me gets my back up. Perhaps in the Deep South and other extroverted places, more people want to become someone's downline.
hahaha. A couple of decades ago, when I was a Denny's waitress, a guy about my age asked me out (early 20s) When I met up with him at the Latona for a beer, instead of having a good time, he ordered a coke and then started pitching Amway to me. I swear to god that was the last time I went out with a customer.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:22 PM

536 posts, read 2,124,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aek11 View Post
I wasn't aware that Seattle people were introverts until I moved out of there.
Seattle is very unique in that aspect. You won't find many places like it in the US.

When I first moved here I actually appreciated it because people didn't bother me needlessly about thigns. As time grew on, I missed the more traditional social aspect of just "talking about nothing" that exists in most of America.

It's really not a big deal though for me. The weather from Jan-May kills me inside.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:33 PM

26,723 posts, read 21,903,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Seattle is very unique in that aspect. You won't find many places like it in the US.

When I first moved here I actually appreciated it because people didn't bother me needlessly about thigns. As time grew on, I missed the more traditional social aspect of just "talking about nothing" that exists in most of America.

It's really not a big deal though for me. The weather from Jan-May kills me inside.
Talking about nothing can scare me sometimes, if someone else initiates it and I have never seen this person before. If I initiate it, which is a rare thing, then that's another story. I spent some time in Barnes and Noble(in Georgia though). There weren't alot of people there. The people who new one another talked to each other. There were a few people who were strangers and talked. Other than that, the introvert factor did prevail. The fact is, Seattle is a coffee with books, musician, techie, and artist type of city. It will attract introverts. The weather can be a factor. With me, cold, rainy weather never gets me down. If I am in a rush and don't feel like being bothered, then an introverted place can be good for me. If I am alone and sad and nothing is going on with me, sometimes an introverted environment can exaggerate the sadness.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:36 PM

948 posts, read 819,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Talking about nothing can scare me sometimes, if someone else initiates it and I have never seen this person before. If I initiate it, which is a rare thing, then that's another story. I spent some time in Barnes and Noble(in Georgia though). There weren't alot of people there. The people who new one another talked to each other. There were a few people who were strangers and talked. Other than that, the introvert factor did prevail. The fact is, Seattle is a coffee with books, musician, techie, and artist type of city. It will attract introverts. The weather can be a factor. With me, cold, rainy weather never gets me down. If I am in a rush and don't feel like being bothered, then an introverted place can be good for me. If I am alone and sad and nothing is going on with me, sometimes an introverted environment can exaggerate the sadness.
In other parts of the country, weather in general does not prevent people from interacting and socializing with each other. In snow storms, people gather at a neighborhood pub, after a blizzard, they have coffee and danish and have snow shoveling parties, in tornado weather, people hunkerdown together to ride it out and they do actually converse with each other. In Seattle, I don't see a little rain, wind or overyly gray skys as an excuse not to engage in basic and real social interactions with others.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:40 PM

948 posts, read 819,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
In other parts of the country, weather in general does not prevent people from interacting and socializing with each other. In snow storms, people gather at a neighborhood pub, after a blizzard, they have coffee and danish and have snow shoveling parties, in tornado weather, people hunkerdown together to ride it out and they do actually converse with each other. In Seattle, I don't see a little rain, wind or overyly gray skys as an excuse not to engage in basic and real social interactions with others.
If daily interaction is any indication, the locals won't fair well during the Big One. The East Coasters and Californians will be okay because they will rely on each other for comfort, companionship and actually help each other.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:33 PM

576 posts, read 1,263,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
You're comparing apples and oranges here. Blizzards and tornadoes are weather; Seattle's gray skies are climate. Gray and rain aren't events; they're always around. The places that do get those kinds of weather have less depressing climates.

(and anyway... try getting anywhere in Seattle after it's snowed. Fun.)

Old 02-12-2009, 09:24 AM

12,411 posts, read 9,243,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
hahaha. A couple of decades ago, when I was a Denny's waitress, a guy about my age asked me out (early 20s) When I met up with him at the Latona for a beer, instead of having a good time, he ordered a coke and then started pitching Amway to me. I swear to god that was the last time I went out with a customer.
OMG! Awful. I hope he did not drive you there and you thinking you had to purchase something to get a ride back home?

What a nastly s.o.b.

How I detest people who are users.
The Capitalist pig! lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area