Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 01:56 PM

98 posts, read 102,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post

I've always considered Seattle's weather the main reason for it being a kind of dreary place to live (I've also lived in many places), *but* I've come to believe there may be another piece of data that largely helps explain it.

I think you're onto something, however, I've also gotten the impression that younger, single people or younger couples with no kids seem to like this area as well -- as long as they find their clique.

The people who I think have the toughest time are people with families and kids and mid-career professionals. They settle in the suburbs and end up in the cookie cutter neighborhoods with neighbors who don't talk to each other. Meanwhile, they probably don't want to live in Seattle due to safety and school district concerns.

Here's why I think this is: Seattle in particular doesn't seem that welcomig or accomodating to families with children. From what I've seen and heard, dogs are more welcome in most establishments than kids are. Also, where I'm from, people just don't step over the line with joking or commenting about other people's kids in public. I've heard people in public make audible comments up here about other people's children that would be fighting words in most parts of the country, yet they seem to think it's okay here.

Many mid-career professionals, for whatever reason, seem to rely on work as their social outlet. That just doesn't happen much here, people would rather not take their work life home with them.

Could be that, I think people of all demographics though will formulat different opinions. It could also get back to personality type as well.

For myself, I get cranky if I have to stay in this area for longer than a month, my travel schedule usually takes me somewhere sunny enough to not let the weather get to me and allows me to interact with more diverse personality types than I find here.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:56 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryAficionado View Post
No thanks. Fair enough, you don't have to provide proof and neither I nor anyone else has to accept your statement as true at face value.

We've been over the fact that people complain in other city forums and often gripe about the people -- I think what Jenbar meant was that this "seattle freeze" type of topic isn't common to most other cities (places in MN and OR maybe aside).

That's all. Yeah, DC can be stereotyped as being full of rude, uptight, materialisitc, boring workaholics, I don't disagree, but it's very distinct from Seattle and doesn't have the "Seattle Freeze" or passive aggressive type of vibe. In fact, those people in DC love to fight and argue, while people here avoid conflict like the plague and try to figure out ways to undermine each other later.

So, how does DC have the "freeze"?
Every place has their own version of the "freeze".

Old 03-30-2008, 05:00 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
I think you're onto something, however, I've also gotten the impression that younger, single people or younger couples with no kids seem to like this area as well -- as long as they find their clique.

Here's why I think this is: Seattle in particular doesn't seem that welcomig or accomodating to families with children. From what I've seen and heard, dogs are more welcome in most establishments than kids are.
Many mid-career professionals, for whatever reason, seem to rely on work as their social outlet. That just doesn't happen much here, people would rather not take their work life home with them.

Could be that, I think people of all demographics though will formulat different opinions. It could also get back to personality type as well.
I think the kids and animal comment may be a good selling point for Seattle. My kind of place, if you are correct.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:18 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Or the various accounts from people in this thread?

Making Friends in Western Washington

Or the research and interviews that went into this now infamous, article?

The Seattle Times: Pacific Northwest Magazine : Our Social Disease
Seattle Times article sounds kind of like where I live. I wonder if I will have the same problem? I'm kind of a quiet sort anyway. Most people I meet I meet them through groups or associations. That is what I usually do. The same-nice-to-your-face-but-I-wont-get-that-close kind of attitude IMHO sounds a bit endemic of most cities. I think with Seattle it is received a reputation for it. I'm not saying those behaviours are not there, but they are, but to say it is only to Seattle is kind of stretching it.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:20 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
WC Fields might have been happy in Seattle. When asked if he liked children, he responded " I do if they're properly cooked." Asked the same question on another occasion, he responded " I'm very fond of children-girl children around age 18 or 20."

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think the kids and animal comment may be a good selling point for Seattle. My kind of place, if you are correct.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Well, the point is that the complaints and praises are subjective -- what's really good for one person may not be good for another. This is why I think retired folks and younger singles tend to have good things to say about the city and people with families and mid-career professionals tend to complain.

Depends on who you are and what you're looking for in a place to live.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:40 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
WC Fields might have been happy in Seattle. When asked if he liked children, he responded " I do if they're properly cooked." Asked the same question on another occasion, he responded " I'm very fond of children-girl children around age 18 or 20."
People have different attitudes about kids. I was watching the View and one of thewomen said when her kids get too rambuctious she loads them into the car and takes them to a department store in the afternoon. The place is not too crowded, and she can shop and let her kids run around and go nuts and allow the sales people to 'take care of them'.

Shocking, that people live in this country all their lives and can think this is appropriate behavior, not even feeling so ashamed that she cannot control her kids and considers that she should burdon others with them.

I've had times in resteraunts ruined because I could not speak to the person across the table, but had to yell because of some unruly kids at the next table.

Parents, years back, if the kids acted up, would stop everythig and pack the kids in a car and bring them home for a good lecturing. My folks would not go out with me until I proved I was old enough to have enough self control to behave myself in public. People used to feel humiliated if their children behaved like brats. Today, it is your problem if you don't like the screaming.

There are some kids in our church who are just wonderful, but it is a family from India. If they raise their voices or start to lose self control, mom takes them out of the room. Would that Americans would be considerate enough to follow this example.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
My folks would not go out with me until I proved I was old enough to have enough self control to behave myself in public. People used to feel humiliated if their children behaved like brats. Today, it is your problem if you don't like the screaming.
Ah, but the 19th century (and parts of the early 20th) was a much simpler time, wasn't it? Why, oh, why did Dr. Spock have to come along with his new-fangled ways and fancy talk?

I started another thread on this topic, would be interesting to see what you have to say there. Maybe you can deter a few more people from moving here and ruining your dinner.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:37 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Seattle Times article sounds kind of like where I live. I wonder if I will have the same problem? I'm kind of a quiet sort anyway. Most people I meet I meet them through groups or associations. That is what I usually do. The same-nice-to-your-face-but-I-wont-get-that-close kind of attitude IMHO sounds a bit endemic of most cities. I think with Seattle it is received a reputation for it. I'm not saying those behaviours are not there, but they are, but to say it is only to Seattle is kind of stretching it.
Your location says GA. I'm assuming it's metro Atlanta. I lived there, buying my first home ever in my mid-20s, followed by a purchase of a T.H. in Seattle's Eastside suburbs.

Atlanta can be snooty in ways, thanks to the Southern aristocracy (the Greek system is big in their colleges, followed by the debutante/country club mentality and then...baddabing...the mint julep on the verandah ) coined to counter perceived elitism in the North. My take, sorry. But you know what, there were also a lot of nice people in Atlanta that the moderately outgoing person could meet. The transplants were all wanting to meet other people and I made most of my friends among them. I don't pay for a hotel room in ATL when I go back. Now, the LOCALS (i.e. the Southerners) weren't as receptive. Yes, they were more cordial than a native NWer and you might even get an invite...but the depth of the friendship wasn't what is was with other Yankees. They hold back on some level whereas, with Yanks, it was all out on the table.

The problem with Seattle and Portland is that the moderately and even decidedly outgoing person has a bit of an uphill climb in making meaningful friendships, even with other transplants. The whole thing described in the article festers (like kudzu spreads in ATL). I only speak to one person in Seattle, a co-worker and a professional, after having left and I don't like him nearly as much as I like my co-worker friends from ATL who could "yuck it up" and didn't seem so damn perenially "overcast" and morose.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:56 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,967 times
Quote:
I started another thread on this topic, would be interesting to see what you have to say there. Maybe you can deter a few more people from moving here and ruining your dinner.
Had to give you reps on this one... made me LOL. I needed that tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area