Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 10:29 AM

43 posts, read 155,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
I simply think that in a lot of cases people's experiences at the same place can be drastically different - depending on one's personality, expectations, and mere chance.
Here's another article by the same person whose blog you linked (apparently, she's in Nashville).

Suburban Turmoil: Just where have all the manners gone? on Nashville City Paper

I wonder what she'd think of Seattle since nowhere seems to compare to the warmth and friendliness of the Atlanta she knew in her youth.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:55 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripateticshutin View Post
because, unless someone tells me where they're from, I don't know who's a native here and who isn't.
I thought it wasn't a tangible thing, but one could sort of figure out who was a local and a transplant after a minimal amount of interpersonal exchange. If the person "flatlined" their whole delivery, they were local. If the person varied their speaking tone and emoted a little, they were transplants. I was right about 90% of the time.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:27 AM

999 posts, read 2,011,187 times
It's funny because every time I fly back to DC, I want to cry because I know what is waiting for me.

If I had a single-family house in the DC area, I swear I would do a straight up trade with you. No exchange of money...just a house barter agreement.

I will take reserved but polite Seattle people over a city and region populated by Type A, arrogant, complete prick personalities any day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripateticshutin View Post
I went through that denial phase as well. For my first two years or so here (after I'd bought my house, unfortunately) I insisted that I'd made a great decision and that I was going to love living here.

Then, I just realized one day, that, no, it wasn't a matter of waiting to adjust or that I wasn't giving this area fair consideration; I just didn't like being here. I think the acceptance came after I'd traveled back to DC on a business trip and almost literally felt the silence and clouds break when I landed at Dulles, only to see the same clouds and silence practically forming over the departure gate for the flight back to Seattle on my return.

You can typically tell which gate is the Seattle departure gate at any airport because it's the one with all of the quiet people looking down and avoiding eye contact.

As far as moving now: unfortunately, that would probably involve a loss on selling the house. Depending on how bad of a loss, I might go ahead anyway, but it's always daunting to consider losing money + incurring the additional moving expense.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:24 PM

23 posts, read 67,013 times
Just recently I thought about how many times we do certain things in our lives. How many times do you vote for the President. How many times do you buy a new car. How many times do you buy new furniture, or get a new place to live. I think of how some people live with furniture that has been passed down to them because it is antique, or family heirlooms, and find themselves thinking one day that they never really had what they wanted. Even if it sets you back some money to fix something that you think is a mistake, in the long run isn't it maybe worth it. If you don't like a person, a place, or a situation, if you possibly can, isn't it worth it to do what may be necessary to get on a track for where or what you want to do or be.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:47 AM

17 posts, read 45,708 times
Quote:
If you don't like a person, a place, or a situation, if you possibly can, isn't it worth it to do what may be necessary to get on a track for where or what you want to do or be.
judy3, that is an excellent philosophy for life in general.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:41 PM

24 posts, read 106,808 times
Ive done a lot of skimming, but the totality of this thread is Tl;DR for anyone. But yeah, I adore Seattle. Ive been here a year, and this place is truly an introverts ideal. Especially for a person with an artistic bent to their nature, be it poet painter or musician, as many introverts are. Theres something about the geographical "energy" here that appeals to and nourishes that type of individual and their inherent need for some varying degree of solitude.
On the other hand, and this is a wholly different discussion, I think its absolutely hilarious- the tension fed by people trying to maintain their (what? appearance? self-importance?) on the bus, it gets so thick you could cut it with a knife. Hmm. There's actually some interesting correlation between the subjects there.... Eh, dont mean to ramble, just sayin. Cheers all.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:52 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_letterman View Post
Ive done a lot of skimming, but the totality of this thread is Tl;DR for anyone. But yeah, I adore Seattle. Ive been here a year, and this place is truly an introverts ideal. Especially for a person with an artistic bent to their nature, be it poet painter or musician, as many introverts are. Theres something about the geographical "energy" here that appeals to and nourishes that type of individual and their inherent need for some varying degree of solitude.
On the other hand, and this is a wholly different discussion, I think its absolutely hilarious- the tension fed by people trying to maintain their (what? appearance? self-importance?) on the bus, it gets so thick you could cut it with a knife. Hmm. There's actually some interesting correlation between the subjects there.... Eh, dont mean to ramble, just sayin. Cheers all.
You can tell I am old because I have to ask what does Tl;DR mean?

Old 02-09-2009, 09:00 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
I will admit that I can be kind of an introvert who likes nature. I am not that outgoing either. With that said, I do like having friends.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:07 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
Quote:
Maybe I didn't like it here - because I'm VERY outgoing - and get highly irrated at introverted behaviour

Last edited by CityGirl72; 02-09-2009 at 11:22 AM..

Old 02-09-2009, 11:13 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
It's funny because every time I fly back to DC, I want to cry because I know what is waiting for me.

If I had a single-family house in the DC area, I swear I would do a straight up trade with you. No exchange of money...just a house barter agreement.

I will take reserved but polite Seattle people over a city and region populated by Type A, arrogant, complete prick personalities any day!
I second that with you to the fullest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area