Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:15 PM

689 posts, read 973,333 times

Advertisements

The Bellevue/Redmond Corridor has plenty of diverse housing choices and some very decent high schools to choose from. My husband and I raised 2 daughters in Redmond, and we were very happy with the schools overall. The housing stock in our area is older and all of the neighborhoods around us are very mature with more character than many of the newer subdivisions. You can find more square footage for your money and most of the homes have been updated nicely. We have 50 year old trees and foothill views everywhere, it's very beautiful.

Our subdivision is called Tam O'Shanter. It's located on the Redmond/Bellevue border and feeds into the Bellevue School District. It's an old golf course community, and most of the homes were built in the 70's and early 80's. Kids play golf almost all year round, and we have an excellent summer team. We also have a team-size pool and tennis courts, so kids stay really busy around here.

We live just a few blocks from Lake Sammamish and about a mile from the public beach. Several homes in our community have a view of the lake, but this will cost you, of course. This part of the city is often called the 'Overlake' area. It's within 3 miles of just about anything you need in the way of major shopping, restaurants, entertainment etc. There are smaller, less well-kept homes closer to the commercial areas, and the closer you get to the Lake, the pricier and better quality the subdivisions become.

Our neighborhood is zoned for Interlake High which has received national recognition for its International Bacclaureate program. They also have a good golf team there. Due to close proximity to Microsoft, the school and the community-at-large are very culturally diverse, which we love.

You may find some larger lots out in the Sammamish area further east. The housing communities are still close enough to commercial resources and Redmond proper, and your husband's commute should still be pretty tolerable. Eastlake and Skyline High Schools get very good reviews, and I know many families who've had excellent experiences there. Further north, you might look at the Redmond Ridge community. The housing stock is newer and there's more open space out there. You'll also get a little more house for your money, since it is a bit farther out.

Please feel free to pm me with more questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 12:00 PM

8 posts, read 13,020 times
Default federal way or no??

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
We hit the road in four days. It just hit me today that I'm leaving California. It's sort of a weird feeling.
We are leaving end of December...considering doing temp housing so we can look around and spend some time venturing out!

Do you happen to know anything about Federal Way??? We have an option to take over a lease for 6 months there, then I started looking at stats and now I am concerned it may not be a good location for us....any ideas?

Old 11-13-2012, 12:18 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkr5 View Post
We are leaving end of December...considering doing temp housing so we can look around and spend some time venturing out!

Do you happen to know anything about Federal Way??? We have an option to take over a lease for 6 months there, then I started looking at stats and now I am concerned it may not be a good location for us....any ideas?
Parts of Federal Way are very nice, with great views, places like Dash Point. But if you work in Seattle, the commute is not going to be easy. For a lot of people, Federal Way is a soulless suburb that's not pedestrian friendly.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:26 PM

689 posts, read 973,333 times
Honestly, this depends on what you're looking for. Housing is definitely cheaper there, but I can't say that Federal Way has anything distinctive or interesting to offer. It will have the usual big box stores and chains, so you won't lack for resources. It's about 20 minutes north of Tacoma, but based on your original post, I doubt you'll like that city much at all.

Keep in mind that our traffic can be brutal. From Federal Way, your husband could be looking at a long commute. On off hours, maybe 45 minutes, nearly an hour during the worst rush hour traffic. I personally wouldn't choose Federal Way, even if I had a job lined up there. But that's just me.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:00 PM

The more i read about Federal Way, the more I think, even as a temporary place to start, it may not be a good idea. I don't want to start our new adventure off with problems...We want to find temporary housing so that we can look around and find the right fit for us based on his commute to work and also where I might become employed.
What about Lynnwood...44th ave w & 176th st sw

Old 11-13-2012, 06:43 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkr5 View Post
The more i read about Federal Way, the more I think, even as a temporary place to start, it may not be a good idea. I don't want to start our new adventure off with problems...We want to find temporary housing so that we can look around and find the right fit for us based on his commute to work and also where I might become employed.
What about Lynnwood...44th ave w & 176th st sw
It's OK, but Lynnwood is sort of like Federal Way, in that it's very automobile oriented, with big malls and strip malls. Closer to Redmond than Federal Way, so that's a plus. The other plus is that housing costs are less than Redmond, Bellevue, or Seattle. But closer to Redmond would be better. Try Bothell, maybe? Especially because most of the jobs are going to be either on the Eastside( Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, Issaquah, Renton) or in Seattle.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:34 PM

101 posts, read 201,665 times
Federal Way seems fine to me. I've been there 3 or 4 times, I didnt get the "soulless" impression.
Seems to be an unfair stereotype.

I would prefer Redmond or Bellevue too, but you also pay more for housing.
Lynnwood has too much traffic due to the large mall.
I think the areas south of Renton is the least expensive in the area.
Thats where i would recommend.
BOthell is less expensive but your still better south of Renton, maybe snoqualmie.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:40 AM

We are headed up to Washington this Friday! Cannot believe it is finally here. We decided to take a temporary apartment in Kirkland for a few months. This way we can get to know Washington and look into high schools and the area. We are really excited and nervous. We will actually spend 5 days in Port Orchard for a mini vacation as the apartment will not be ready for us till 1/4. It is raining here in Cali and cold...for us. I told my kids Washington is sending its welcome Thank you all for your advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area