Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 06:58 PM

8 posts, read 13,018 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My husband is in the process of deciding whether he should take a company offer to relocate to Redmond, WA or stay here in Lakewood, CA (located in Southern California near Long Beach). We would move in the month of December 2012. I have been doing a lot of research on Washington, and have a general feel for what to expect...I have read the good, the bad and the ugly. Yet, I am still confused on how to really understand the weather and where might be the best location for us. So, I thought maybe writing my own thread, I could ask specific questions and hopefully get some great feedback from anyone out there

A little about us:
Family of 4, my husband and I are in our mid 40's. Two kids in high school 9th and 11th grade. 9th grader is into golfing and wishes to continue with lessons and hopefully play on a high school team. The 11th grader is active in school and enjoys cheer leading. My top priority is finding a good high school for them to attend.
We desire to live somewhere with at least an acre of land, in a nice neighborhood. We have to be within 20 miles of Redmond...I have looked at Gig Harbor and really like what I see there. Love the island community feel. Prefer to live close to the ocean if possible...just not clear on the commute time via google maps, if it is accurate or not.
What is the weather really like...when people say cloudy and rainy...does it break out later with the sun? I have seen pictures of real estate for sale and see beautiful blue skies with big white puffy clouds...rarely do I see cloudy gray skies.
We are looking to experience weather/seasons for a change. We have both lived in SOCAL our whole lives, and we are ready for something different. The way our trees look in the fall makes them look down right dead!
We are trying to figure out how the cost of housing translates up there...for instance here in Lakewood 350,000. buys a 1200 sq ft home on a 5000 to 6000 sq ft lot. Elbow to elbow with neighbors...but it is a nice community, yet my kids high school has 4000 students...

So if you have recommendations or insight to share on areas that we could look at that are good for raising high school kids, and possibly get some acreage in the deal and also stay coastal...???? We wouldn't mind the small town feel either.

thank you for any guidance you can offer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 08:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Gig Harbor? That's about an hour and a half each way commute to Redmond with no traffic if you drive at off hours. You won't find decent homes with acreage within 20 miles of Redmond for under $800,000, most will be over 1 million. Of course, realtors are going to try for a sunny time to photograph homes. In reality the sun is rare from October through June, with rain
almost every day. This time of year fairly heavy at times, misty sprinkles in spring, and a little snow 2-3 times anytime from November-April. Despite that golf is very popular, but people get used to playing in the rain here. For both golf and cheer I'd suggest any of the Lake Washington schools, but especially Eastlake in Sammamish, and in Issaquah District Skyline are probably the best choices. If you want to be more "coastal" then there will be more rain, less golf, and less quality in schools. Kirkland is a possibility but is not coastal,
though close to water, Lake Washington.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:25 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Gig Harbor isn't an island (and waaaaayy more than 20 miles away from Redmond). If you can afford it, you do have an actual island close by: Mercer Island with the state best school district, community feel plus beautiful homes. But very expensive. (Yes, I know, Lake Washington isn't the ocean, but it's close enough.) Otherwise, look into Magnolia, Ballard, Shoreline, Edmonds-- they all have waterfront communities facing Puget Sound and a lot of good schools in between.

Otherwise, don't discount Lake Washington.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:48 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
You heard this here first: Those photographs of Seattle area houses with blue skies and white puffy clouds? The sky is not in Seattle. The sky is in the Czech Republic. Google Czech sky Seattle Bubble and you'll get the full story. The pictures of the house may be accurate, but not the sky.
And not to be a Debbie Downer here, but you'll need to prioritize what's important. Under 20 miles to Redmond? You might find acreage, but not overlooking saltwater. Want good schools and acreage and pretty scenery, but willing to not live by saltwater? Duvall would fit the bill, and you get more house for your money there than Redmond or Bellevue.
Have to live near saltwater? Broadview/Carkeek Park in Seattle, but no acreage lots, and the schools are OK but not great.
Richmond Beach in Shoreline would have better schools, and not a terrible commute to Redmond(by SoCal standards), but not as close as Duvall and more expensive.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:50 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
http://seattlebubble.com/blog/2010/0...nal-czech-sky/

Old 11-01-2012, 11:33 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,885 times
Ira - that's so funny. Cracking me up. Fortunately I house hunted in July 2007 and most of the photos were taken in the rain of May so I had the reverse situation

Old 11-02-2012, 01:02 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Based on your post I would suggest the Eastside. Sea side is wonderful but it's expensive, would require a longer commute and won't give you much space (unless you got a cash cow). Kirkland sounds like it might be a good option for you, if you still really want waterfront. I recommend Sammamish and Issaquah over Bellevue, but I know lots of families there too. Duvall could also be a great possibility if you like the small community atmosphere. I moved to Issaquah in February after living in N. Seattle for 9 months. We're from out of state too. I personally found the Eastside to be more welcoming and to have a lot more transplants because of the big tech companies. I live in Issaquah Highlands (which I absolutely LOVE but would not recommend to you) and the overwhelming majority of our community came from other states/countries. It might be good for your high schoolers to go to a school where not everyone grew up together. I ran into that problem when I lived in Wedgwood/Ravenna/Bryant (N. Seattle). It seemed like the entire grade went to preschool together and had already bonded before kindergarten. I did not like Seattle public schools... for many reasons. We've really enjoyed the Issaquah school district and Skyline High has an excellent reputation (just a heads up, school districts cross city boundaries... ).

The weather??? I don't think you could say that the sun breaks out predictably, but it can and does. If you are at a point of elevation you will often see breaks in the clouds somewhere, but you'll find that they're never close enough For some reason I feel like this happens at sundown more than any other time. One really cool thing if you do live at a point of elevation (like Issaquah Highlands) is that the rain turns to snow.. but doesn't stick! There were many mornings last winter when I dropped the kids off with snow falling, got to the bottom of the hill and it was raining. Regardless, you will have days where it is nice. I remember the day after Thanksgiving was sunny and bright. Early December had many sunny days (or at least substantial blocks of sun) and after that crazy freakish mid-January snow storm, some excellent days in late January. I also like that there is a lot of cloud dynamics. It's not like Michigan where you have a grey blanket covering the entire landscape for months. The clouds have a lot of form and they are always moving, especially where I live! I love it!

Good luck. I'll be honest, I've heard that the people from SOCAL have a harder time adjusting than those of us who came from the midwest.... must be that year round perfect weather you've got

Old 11-02-2012, 06:48 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,850,813 times
I have to second Duvall. I grew up in Orange County, CA, and my grandma lives in Downey, so I sort of know the area you're coming from.

I love Duvall. We have an excellent high school (Cedarcrest), it's beautiful, you can find homes with acreage, and we're not that far from Redmond.

I don't like the sun, so I was happy to leave CA. Mom always talks about moving up here, but then she comes for a couple weeks when the weather is bad, and she swears she couldn't take it.

Good luck!

V. =)

Old 11-04-2012, 08:57 PM

8 posts, read 13,018 times
Thank you all for your comments! I will look into the areas suggested. Any ideas about living more North of Redmond in the Snohomish area and the Glacier Peak High School? Is the traffic the complete stop and go type of traffic or slow moving...We are actually thinking about doing temp housing, furnished, and take some time to look around. The biggest worry being the kids high school...I know this will be hard on them.
I don't think we need to be coastal, by water of some sort would be lovely...but this could just be me dreaming...my husband's main desire is acreage....so that, with a great high school would be the top two priorities.
If you can think of any other ideas or suggestions, I would like to hear them...your comments definitely help me think things out
T

Old 11-05-2012, 06:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
In general that district is well below Lake Washington and Issaquah, but still not bad, and that particular high school is the best in the district. You need to balance your two priorities, because in general the best schools are in the most expensive areas, so if you want affordable acreage you will pay a lot or have to settle for less desirable schools. There
was recently a smaller, older house near me in Sammamish for rent on 2 acres for $2,800/month, but it went quickly. Snohomish may have a similar home for half that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area