Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 04:45 PM

507 posts, read 1,668,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
While I am a supporter of medical marijuana, I know that the system gets abused by folks like the OP. We just went through this in MT... tons of little shops in strip malls popped up. You could buy all sorts of pot and all different manners of paraphanalia to go along with it. All you needed was a "green card", which any person over the age of 18 could get by going to the local walk in clinic and say they have migraines or leg pain or sleeplessness... many, many of the high school seniors had green cards at our local school.

What I worry about for WA (my home state), is folks like the OP heading there in droves with the thought that they can spend their days smoking and getting high. Like it's just one big non-stop party. That type of thinking is NOT what medical marijuana is supposed to be for.
yet it is totally fine to walk into a QFC, buy a bottle of Whisky and drink yourself into a stupor. As long as he stays out of my way he can get high as a kite as much as he wants. He would even support the local economy by doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 05:01 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
Eh, I am a liberal person and I support I-502. My only hope was, was that people wouldn't come here just for that. I was hoping Oregon would also pass a law (and I am hopeful for California). People should NOT be coming here just to buy a bunch of weed then either:

A)Be smoking it in public where it can get in the lungs of non-smokers (if you take infused items, no problem there)
B)Take it to your home state and start distributing it there.

But, we will see what happens over the next year.
I see where you are coming from. I drink alcohol, but if I were to hypothetically live in one of the few places with legal alcohol, I probably wouldn't want to live there. Anyone making a trip or moving for the sole purpose of smoking weed legally is probably a pothead. I place potheads only a notch above alcoholics. I wouldn't want a place to be a magnet for alcoholics either.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:08 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
It just passed 12 hours ago. Are you being serious here?
Yea, I'm serious, I've never been to seattle, but Id love to check it out, come out there & spend some money. See some sites & relax. I'm starting to feel unwanted though. Why pass the law if it doesn't benefit the people?

Old 11-07-2012, 07:15 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
While I am a supporter of medical marijuana, I know that the system gets abused by folks like the OP. We just went through this in MT... tons of little shops in strip malls popped up. You could buy all sorts of pot and all different manners of paraphanalia to go along with it. All you needed was a "green card", which any person over the age of 18 could get by going to the local walk in clinic and say they have migraines or leg pain or sleeplessness... many, many of the high school seniors had green cards at our local school.

What I worry about for WA (my home state), is folks like the OP heading there in droves with the thought that they can spend their days smoking and getting high. Like it's just one big non-stop party. That type of thinking is NOT what medical marijuana is supposed to be for.
You don't know me or what you are talking about. That's why I'm here asking questions. Denver & Seattle will be weed central. I don't even smoke that much or that often, BUT I've always wanted to visit a place as tolerant as what Seattle seems to be becoming. I guess some Seattle people don't want the tourist dollars, that's a shame, because now it seems like an interest city to check out.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:43 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Seattle's already weed central. There are 150+ medical marijuana dispensaries within the city alone. From what I understand, if this thing is allowed to get enacted, it's only supposed to be for Washington State residents, so if you're going to buy it, it'll be illegal unless you live here. Plus the Feds probably won't allow it to get enacted.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:12 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
now it seems like an interest city to check out.
It was an interesting city before this.

And when I said that it was only passed last night, I meant that I doubt the city is going to look like Amsterdam tomorrow. It's only been 24 hours, and no one here has a crystal ball. You're asking people in Seattle how it all works before it's been given a chance to.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:47 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
The countdown to when the Feds crack down ... 5 ... 4. .... 3 ...

Unfortunately there's still too many old guard folks out there who think marijuana is somehow worse than alcohol or tobacco.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:53 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Congrats to Washington!!! California used to be the trend setting state, and were very covetous of that honor, but what happened? Ding-Ding!

Washington also has a Right To Die Law, like Oregon, and California? Ding-Ding!

And I live in Sin City (LoL!), Las Vegas, many so proud of how liberal this city is, and? Prostitution is only legal in the rural counties (all but inaccessible to tourists), no Right to Die law and no legalized marijuana!
Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding!!!

Old 11-08-2012, 12:24 AM

150 posts, read 580,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Seattle's already weed central. There are 150+ medical marijuana dispensaries within the city alone. From what I understand, if this thing is allowed to get enacted, it's only supposed to be for Washington State residents, so if you're going to buy it, it'll be illegal unless you live here. Plus the Feds probably won't allow it to get enacted.
I agree Seattle is def. weed central. I was there visiting and on DAY 1 near Pike St Market we smelled the aroma of weed and he was able to get a $20 sack about 6 hrs after we landed. (no we did not bring it back home, not that stupid) He uses it for medical and recreational use.

We fell in love with Seattle when we visited, just being in a big city and near the water. All the green foliage, the ability to commute so easy, the culture and big things happening in a fairly big city is what we loved. With the vibe and being in a liberal area that we felt like we could actually fit in unlike it here in bleeding red Idaho.

We were both happy that we both loved it and decided on day 2 we wanted to move there. I cried so much on the plane because I was going to miss it and didn't want to go back to Boise. I think about moving there every day and have made a goal to next year.
Yes, one of the big bonuses for my husband is he would have access to mmj if we moved to Washington and not have to get it illegally here. It was more of a bonus than the main reason. Yes now that this bill has been passed that makes that all that much sweeter, if it all pans out with having it in shops.

I don't see anything wrong with people who do move there for that sole purpose (which is not my husband and my sole reason) I am sure that people have moved to other states for reasons similar like Ohio for the auto Industry and of course LA for the entertainment industry or Maryland for the Crab/seafood Industry and now WA. for the weed industry.... More people in the state helps the economy and tax revenue, the better for that state.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:30 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
We just got the news in Chicago you guys can smoke weed whenever & however you want. What are the popular strands of erb out in Washington?? I'm coming out there.
Please don't come by car if you're driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area