Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 11:28 PM

3 posts, read 35,465 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Seattle but want to take my time looking for an apartment. I decided to stay at a furnished place for a month just so I can actually get a feel what it's like to live in a city. Do you know any motels or hotels that offer affordable monthly rates in Seattle? I looked into Extended Stay America but they were wanting to charge $1,800 just for one month! I looked into Belltown and the Vermont Inn's as well but they were roughly the same price. Are these my only options or is there something cheaper out there? Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 07:30 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
I inadvertently got in one during a short stay last summer. It was in Des Moines on Pacific Highway. Don't remember the name right now.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:14 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,513 times
Have you checked the temporary housing & sublets section of Craigslist? The vacation rental section might also be a good place to look. There are rooms for rent and sometimes entire places for months at a time. Since it's off-season, you could probably negotiate a good rate for a month. And it might be helpful to live in an actual home as opposed to a motel...it lends a different perspective.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:51 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
If you don't mind Believue's location, Pacific Inn is always listing on CL for $1395. I walked by last month and the area is fine. Free parking.

Vermont inn was quoting $1295 or so last month. But I read about unsavory characters in the area (even inside?!). I drove by at 3 am, and it was sure creepy.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:06 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,132,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebaggins View Post
I'm moving to Seattle but want to take my time looking for an apartment. I decided to stay at a furnished place for a month just so I can actually get a feel what it's like to live in a city. Do you know any motels or hotels that offer affordable monthly rates in Seattle? I looked into Extended Stay America but they were wanting to charge $1,800 just for one month! I looked into Belltown and the Vermont Inn's as well but they were roughly the same price. Are these my only options or is there something cheaper out there? Any help would be appreciated.
Pacific Hwy 99 (Aurora) is lined up with cheap motels from north of the ship canel clear up to Lynwood. They may have some interesting clientele, however.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:37 PM

I never saw them, but I did assume they were around. But there was a nice Thai restaurant about a two minute walk away. All in all, it worked out for me. But I'd never experienced a long-term motel before. I assume the luckier people who are evicted make that their next home.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:22 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Hmm, well I'm not really sure if $1800 a month is too much or if it's too much for a discount hotel room.

If you're trying to spend less than that, there aren't a lot of options. Probably the best would be airbnb or craigslist sublets. You can find furnished rooms in people's homes for $50 a night, and quite a few will discount for weekly or monthly stays. Just plug in dates and it's pretty easy to sort by monthly rates.

If you're open to spending around $2000 a month but a month in an hotel room sounds depressing, then look at either corporate rentals or try B&Bs. Normally B&Bs would be quite a bit more expensive, but in my experience some will discount for extended stays during the off season. If you're new in the area, there's something to be said for either renting a room or a B&B as you'll get more interaction than with a hotel room or corporate rental. For corporate rentals, airbnb is once again a good source as you can search by room or whole apartment. There's also CHBO. The place I rented was through Short Term Suites which is a local company. You can find cheaper but my apartment was pretty nice and the process was painless. It's not necessarily going to be cheaper (although you can find ones that are), but you'll get an apartment instead of a hotel room with kitchenette... way more bang for the buck.

Finally, if you're really looking to save money, there's apodments. I don't know much about them.... they're popping up all over since they're cheap, about $600 a month. They're more dorm-style. Small and very spartan with shared bath and kitchen.

https://www.airbnb.com/
CHBO, Corporate Housing by Owner: view Corporate Housing Rentals or Post Corporate Apartments, Houses, Condos, etc.
Available Short Term Suites In Seattle Washington
Calhoun Properties - Seattle's Solution for Affordable Housing

Old 12-04-2012, 03:06 PM

28 posts, read 118,076 times
This link gets you a lower rate at the Sixth Avenue Inn downtown:

AAE Hostels Seattle 6th Avenue in Seattle, USA - Find Cheap Hostels and Rooms at Hostelworld.com

Old 12-04-2012, 03:14 PM

Long, long back when I was pretty poor, I stayed a few days in the downtown Y. Bet that service croaked a lot time ago with other money-saving options.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:45 AM

457 posts, read 645,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Finally, if you're really looking to save money, there's apodments. I don't know much about them.... they're popping up all over since they're cheap, about $600 a month. They're more dorm-style. Small and very spartan with shared bath and kitchen.

https://www.airbnb.com/
CHBO, Corporate Housing by Owner: view Corporate Housing Rentals or Post Corporate Apartments, Houses, Condos, etc.
Available Short Term Suites In Seattle Washington
Calhoun Properties - Seattle's Solution for Affordable Housing
Apodments sounded like a good idea but you have to apply and be credit-screened just like a regular apartment for those. I think the OP wanted a hotel-type situation to AVOID all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area