Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 05:26 PM

6 posts, read 15,642 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Seattle area in the next few months and have heard great things about Bainbridge Island. My road warrior job will have me driving quite a bit between Suquamish & Marysville. I am looking to rent 1st, then hopefully, to buy. I have read about how cute Poulsbo is, it sounds funky and eclectic - just as I like it. Are there any other places that can be recommended - I am NOT wealthy (still working at my age, with no end in sight), but make a decent living. I'm thinking about $1200- $1500 MAX rent. I love lush greenery, being mellow and QUIET. Thanks for any help!

Last edited by cybermaven; 12-06-2012 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 08:02 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,770,710 times
That's a rather challenging route! Were I in your shoes, I'd probably at least try living in Poulsbo. It's got all kinds of charm. It might wear off after awhile, but if you're renting at first, why not? At least you'll have some great commuting days to balance out the crappy ones. The area around Marysville is rather lacking in charm IMO (and traffic around that area sucks no matter when I drive though there). Pressuming you'll be taking the ferry to Edmonds? Live someplace lovely that you can come home to. You could also try Edmonds as kind of an 'in-between' spot. Edmonds has a really cute town center area, but it's not as affordable.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,227 posts, read 80,442,347 times
I'm sure you will love Poulsbo, as long as you enjoy the rain, and you can rent a modest house there for $1,500 still. Not that many rentals available since it's a small city. For buying, Poulsbo is less than Seattle and east, but still not cheap until you get much farther away from ferry access.

It's a short, easy drive to Suquamish but that trip to Marysville will not be fun with the ferry and nasty I5 traffic. You are definitely much better off living closer to Suquamish rather than Marysville.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 PM

6 posts, read 15,642 times
Thank you both for confirming my initial thought that living closer to Suquamish was a better choice than heading towards Marysville. A majority of my time will be spent on the Suquamish side, so I like the romantic notion of living on an island.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:55 PM

260 posts, read 766,418 times
I live on Bainbridge and can give you some input but would prefer if you sent me a private post. Poulsbo and Edmonds are both cute towns but that Edmonds ferry is a pain. It is a small ferry and just getting to the waiting line is a challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area