U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2012, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,777 times

Advertisements

We are moving approximately 8 miles. Does anyone know approximately what the cost would be to have movers transport boxes and minimal furniture for this distance. And do most movers charge by the hour or is there a set fee for distance or both. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 03:25 PM

102 posts, read 246,084 times
Most charge by the hour and the biggest thing will be how much stuff you have as that will determine how much time it takes to load and unpack the truck. So, it's hard to get an estimate without some specifics like how big the house is and how much stuff you have and does any of it need special care and so on.

(We've moved a lot. )

Old 12-09-2012, 03:29 PM

2,688 posts, read 2,045,887 times
Just call around to local moving agents.
They will happily give free estimates.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,895 posts, read 56,339,514 times
Make them come to the house to do the estimate. When they do it by phone you may go way over and then they will charge you a lot more than the estimate.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:39 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,154,294 times
We've moved a 1 bdrm + den several times, < 10 miles. The typical cost for our stuff is usually btwn $500-600 - depends on how many guys. You pay each guy by the hour from the minute they leave their office til they're done with your move. They typically also add a fuel surcharge to that. I also generally tip each one - of course this pressumes they don't break anything and don't ding up the walls. Our moves have often involved large numbers of stairs and admittedly, some of that is pure guilt. Yeah, it's their job, but what a way to earn it.

All of my stuff is packed, labeled and stacked by room. All furniture is broken down with any small pieces taped together and screws or fasteners in labeled zip lock bags, and we are ready to go that morning. I also already know where I want things in the new place and have spots designated for stacks of boxes and furniture. If they have to break down your furniture and play room designer at the new place - that can take a lot of extra time. It's much more streamlined if there's a person there who can just point to where each item goes. It's also worked well to have one person with the movers, and as things are finishing up, have the other go ahead to the new place to make sure parking (or the loading dock) is ready and doors are propped open. There's nothing like getting there and finding someone has blocked the only place the truck can unload.

A moving company can give you a pretty good ballpark estimate based on your description of what you have. I generally provide a room-by-room inventory which gives them a better idea. The big unknown to them is your level of organization. They may know they're moving a 2 bdrm, but the shape things are in when they walk in the door makes a huge difference. We usually take a good hour less than their estimate. The last time my lovable, but incredibly disorganized friend moved, it took two hours more than the estimate (and somehow she was irked at them).

Good luck with the move!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:49 AM

195 posts, read 328,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
We've moved a 1 bdrm + den several times, < 10 miles. The typical cost for our stuff is usually btwn $500-600 - depends on how many guys.

Good luck with the move!
This was our experience too. We moved from Bellevue to Woodinville.

I think we had to pay by the hour per person. Inevitably this means they magically show up with "an extra person because it will go faster" blah blah.

We moved a condos worth of stuff for around $560, but we did a lot of the "easy" stuff ourselves (clothes, boxes of "stuff", cats, dishes, computers etc)

They came around 8am and were out by 1pm. Pretty easy. I forget who we used though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area