Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 3,159 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving back to WA to be closer to my family. We are wanting a small town to live in but that has a decent job market. We live in a very small town in TX, under 2000 people, but we have a good job market here. There are 4 big plants within an hours drive. One school prek-12th grade. I love the small town life but like being close to go and do things in bigger towns. When we lived in WA before we lived in Lakewood and I lived in Bremerton when I was younger, and I don't want to live near either of those places now. I want a smaller place to bring up our kids.

What kind of job markets are in the areas of Enumclaw and Eatonville? He currently is an armed guard for a nuclear plant and I do contract mail delivery for the USPS. I don't think I will be able to get on with USPS up there because of the situation with the USPS.

I was looking at Weyerhauser but it looks kind of hard to get on there.

Thanks for any replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 09:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,244 posts, read 80,460,275 times
As is typical in small towns, there are no big employers and jobs are scarce, with only small business, of which many are construction related and suffering from lack of work. Then being small, there are not enough people to support those companies enough that they need to hire more help. Even Weyerhaeuser has left Enumclaw, shutting down operations there in 2008. Both are too far out to have a reasonable commute to areas with plentiful jobs.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:07 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,266,561 times
Eatonville is really out there, with no emloyers of any size out there. Enumclaw is slightly better, as it's commutable to Auburn or Kent, which has some jobs(not a ton, but lot's more than Eatonville.)....If you really want that rural small town atmosphere, throw Black Diamond into the mix. It's stiill far, but a little closer to Renton and the east side, where there are more jobs. Black Diamond is a nice little town, historic.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:08 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,102,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapplegirl77 View Post
What kind of job markets are in the areas of Enumclaw and Eatonville? He currently is an armed guard for a nuclear plant and I do contract mail delivery for the USPS. I don't think I will be able to get on with USPS up there because of the situation with the USPS.
The question might be rephrased, "What are areas that fit the following critiria", in whatever order is most important to you:

- Population less than (some arbitrary amount)
- Positive economic and employment trends for (our) fields
- In WA State
- (etc.)

There exists quite a bit of data online regarding employment trends, and plenty more: US Bureau of Labor Statistics. Couple hours of downloading tables and slicing/dicing for specific areas via Excel ... while tedious, bet that could help you out quite a bit in the decision process.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:38 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,371,178 times
those 2 areas are out there, if your retired then its ok. if your working and trying to find a job in the seattle area, your looking at a horrible commute. Unless you can find a job in the south, such as tacoma or auburn, then its doable. otherwise, i would not think about it.

eatonville is really, really out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area