Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:32 AM

3 posts, read 8,584 times

Advertisements

My husband has just had a job offer to work in Redmond, we have a week to decide and I really don't know what to do.

If anyone could give me advice on area's to live, taxes, schools etc I would really much appreciate it. We don't mind a commute of around 30-60 mins.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 10:46 AM

40 posts, read 179,607 times
Can't help with your question...we are moving to Seattle, too. I'm sure you'll get some good information soon. This board has been very helpful

Just curious which part of the UK are you moving from? I have family in Leictershire (sp).

Old 10-16-2007, 01:20 PM

Hi there GR8Scott

Thank you for your reply, we are from Dorset, down on the South Coast so a little way away from Leictershire

Old 10-16-2007, 01:44 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
I suppose there's nothing wrong with living in Redmond or the nearby Woodinville or Duvall, although I don't know that area too well ..... seemed nice though when I passed through.

I've always been partial to Issaquah, which has excellent schools and is in my opinion a bit more scenic, with excellent hiking and camping in the area. It's more of a commute, I don't know how it would be during rush hours but otherwise shouldn't be more than half an hour.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:27 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,708,340 times
If he's working at Microsoft (just a guess from your mention of Redmond), you might do a search here for old threads that discuss commutes/schools and neighborhoods relative to MS.

Traffic can be a bummer, so locating with a good commute is important.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:33 PM

Thank you all very much for your information and advise so far I shall do and you suggest mayfair and look back through previous posts

Old 10-18-2007, 09:18 AM

269 posts, read 1,243,849 times
I can compare Seattle to other places in the States, but have no feel for life in the UK. Have you lived in the US before? If not, there's more stuff than just the Seattle area oddities to get used to.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:34 PM

14 posts, read 38,301 times
I hear Seattle is very similar in weather to the UK. My family name Golborne actually comes from your country - funny eh? So, I lived in Redmond on and off for about 6 years as well as Seattle. I now live in Sammamish but specialize in Redmond, Bellevue, Kirkland and Sammamimsh. Most of the schools on the Eastside are really quite fantastic. There are many great neighborhoods! Because of traffic, however, I would suggest you don't bother looking at housing too far out. 30-60 miles would probably take it's toll on your family quickly. Redmond/Seattle is a great place to live! It's a very liberal-minded, green city, with lots of jazz, a great music scene generally, many walking, hiking & running trails, good entertainment/restaurant venues, Seattle center, and plenty of things to do! From yoga to sailing, I'm sure moving to Redmond will treat you well!

Old 10-28-2007, 08:31 AM

9 posts, read 59,568 times
If it is of any help my husband is from Scotland and we had lived in Florida for the last 8 years and are now in the final stages of relocating to the Seattle area (he starts his new job in 2 weeks). We are currently in Seattle on our house hunting trip. We both have lived and traveled through out the UK, though I am American. He is very excited to relocate here as the weather in Florida has been very difficult for him, way too hot!! We are keepong out an eye out for british messages without any luck yet, too may familiar favorites to give up, especially chocolate and I am not sure I can cook without bisto!! In Florida the is a large british and not sure if this exits here, but the place is lovely, and the people friendly. The housing prices do seem over inflated, however with the pound so strong and the dollar so weak, if you arrive with money it will go far. My main advice to you is to keep so money in pounds in the UK that way when you go home for a visit you will not be killed by the weak dollar. We have done this since we lived in the states and it has made our annual trips back to Scotland seems much more reasonable. If you have any specific questions, I will try to answer them, but we are not perminatly in Seattle yet, so as for the area we are going through the same issues as you will, but probably a month or so ahead of you. We did however come over to Florida 8 years ago on a corporate relocation package, so if you have any questions about the international aspect let me know.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:50 AM

307 posts, read 1,421,429 times
My Mom is British and so I grew up with her cooking with Bisto. I have actually found it at certain supermarkets here in the states. You can also order it online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area