Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 08:29 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times

Advertisements

I'm half Asian and half Mexican.
I'm not particularly interested in moving now, but Seattle has intrigued my interests for a while.
I have browsed the web, and it seems to meet some of the criteria I'm looking for.
High Asian Population (preferably east or south east Asian)
A large Hispanic population (preferably Mexican American)
Its not Hot like it is in Dallas, which I do like but i mean Seattle seems more me. I mean I used to have the fan on in the winters, and while Dallas winters are not Seattle winters but I like the cold.
What may change my mind and make me stay here in the DFW metro is th housing prices.
I would consider California if it wasn't for housing prices. I can deal without cold but I want a big city with like I said a racially diverse population. I got a drift of what the weather is like, a fair amount of rain since all the rain come in through Washington... based on the weather channel... But 70-80 degree summers sounds appealing. I can deal with the heat, I've lived my whole life in Dallas... but uhh... yeah. I want to live in an area with a 'I'm-never-going-to-forget' skyline (sorta like Chicago, NY, Hong kong, ...and SEATTLE) Dallas does a good Job of that, but many cities like LA and San Diego don't do so hot... this is not that important, i just though i would give my penny in the bucket.
Advice?
my main question: are the prices any better then California? and if they are are they significantly better? are they like Texas land value? or what?

Last edited by CMDallas; 10-17-2007 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 08:30 PM

oh and any cons about Seattle I should know? Dallas has a bad crime rate already...but uhh anything and everything is greatly appreciated!

Old 10-17-2007, 08:32 PM

307 posts, read 1,421,248 times
Just FYI. The term "oriental" is not a PC term for people of Asian heritage. "Oriental" is used to refer to carpets and such...not people.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:42 PM

I wouldn't know, but you get my drift. people alway taught me that it could be people as well as items.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:54 PM

223 posts, read 1,274,888 times
If the poster is Asian, I would think that if he wants to use the term "Oriental" he can use Oriental.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:57 PM

haha, yes i agree with that but I don't care if he thinks its improper, I'll just correct it... Now back to the task at hand :P. If it makes him happy why the heck not right?

Old 10-17-2007, 09:04 PM

67 posts, read 256,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
I'm half Asian and half Mexican.
I'm not particularly interested in moving now, but Seattle has intrigued my interests for a while.
I have browsed the web, and it seems to meet some of the criteria I'm looking for.
High Asian Population (preferably east or south east Asian)
A large Hispanic population (preferably Mexican American)
Its not Hot like it is in Dallas, which I do like but i mean Seattle seems more me. I mean I used to have the fan on in the winters, and while Dallas winters are not Seattle winters but I like the cold.
What may change my mind and make me stay here in the DFW metro is th housing prices.
I would consider California if it wasn't for housing prices. I can deal without cold but I want a big city with like I said a racially diverse population. I got a drift of what the weather is like, a fair amount of rain since all the rain come in through Washington... based on the weather channel... But 70-80 degree summers sounds appealing. I can deal with the heat, I've lived my whole life in Dallas... but uhh... yeah. I want to live in an area with a 'I'm-never-going-to-forget' skyline (sorta like Chicago, NY, Hong kong, ...and SEATTLE) Dallas does a good Job of that, but many cities like LA and San Diego don't do so hot... this is not that important, i just though i would give my penny in the bucket.
Advice?
my main question: are the prices any better then California? and if they are are they significantly better? are they like Texas land value? or what?
Hi, first off funny thing your thinking of moving to Seattle..which is my home and I live in your home Dallas...anyway...yes diversity is very accepted up there and really the weather is not bad..it doesn't rain like it does here in Dallas like buckets it's a lot like the UK if you've been there..really light what we call a sprinkle..or misty kinda day..and based on rain fall average Seattle isn't even on the top 20 for most rainfall!! I know shocking..all the cities with the most rainfall are in the south and Houston areas. But with that out of the way. As far as housing matching up to Dallas prices not going to happen..and I'll tell you why Seattle is not as big as Dallas obviously..so they have to raise the prices a little plus in Seattle not only are you getting an established home but you get the beautiful landscape of the mountains,fresh air, lot's of outdoors things to do..that you wouldn't be getting in Dallas partly because of the weather and no mountains. Some of the plus is the crime is way lower then Dallas, there are a lot of colleges..public transport is very reliable and very much encouraged..it's a green city...there are alot of liberals and republicans mainly republican's...the people are very friendly..and I'm not asian or mexican but I do know the asian population is very big one of the things I knida miss about it. I think you'd like it there..alot of people get turned off by the weather but I was born and raised there I loved it never depressed me..I would take walks when it was raining very refreshing..you just have to go into it positivly..good luck and if you have any other questions just ask I also know about east Seattle like Bellevue..and south like Tacoma if you want to know about those areas.

Chitty

Old 10-17-2007, 09:15 PM

I'll take the metro cities too, hehe...
I know what you mean I can take any weather, I'm from Texas XD, and I like the cold and heat, but cold more. I actually live in Irving (with the anti illegal mayor) :P, And I myself am actually more republican( I do hold liberal views though...like immigration and abortion)...odd i know, I'm not super religious either. But yeah that was exactly what I was looking for. I like the rain too :P... but the prices are significantly better then California right?
oh and I'm Han Chinese if any of you were wondering :P...

Old 10-17-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I know what you mean I can take any weather, I'm from Texas XD, and I like the cold and heat, but cold more. I actually live in Irving (with the anti illegal mayor) :P, And I myself am actually more republican( I do hold liberal views though...like immigration and abortion)...odd i know, I'm not super religious either. But yeah that was exactly what I was looking for. I like the rain too :P... but the prices are significantly better then California right?
funny cause I really think you'd fit in there I actually knew alot of Han Chinese..and Cambodians..I know different but still south asian...I hate when people say every asian is Chinese..believe it or not there is a difference..lol. Yea you will see up there people are very educated probably why the crime rate is so low and people are down to earth..I think it was actually listed as one of the most educated cities with at least a bachelors degree in America..I think personally that makes a difference in a city.. alot of people who are ignorant are uneducated...not everyone but most. Yea I'm a lot like you were I tend to lean more republican but have liberal views...and you will see this on the street's of Seattle one block you'll see a protest against war and on the next a street rally on Bush in Seattle..lol. People there are so intreaging no two are alike..that was one of the things I don't like about Dallas/metro area..it's all a competition I'm like be yourselves. Bellevue is another option, let me try to compare it to a city here I would have to say West Plano..Bellevue is very ritzy everyone is very wealthy...you won't see an old car (2005 model lol) car on the street's. It used to be a bedroom community of Seattle but now it's an established city on it's own. Again Bellevue was a few college's to offer..very young entrepreneur's..I used to hang out there alot. I was born in Bellevue. Another good thing is everything is way close it doesn't take you a year lol to get everywhere. I mean Seattle,Bellevue,Tacoma are all 20-45 mins away from each other..so that's good..and Canada is about 2hrs and 45 mins away from downtown Seattle..on I-5 which if you live in Seattle trust me you'll end up in Canada a few times..just because it rocks! Good luck again I think you'd fall in love with Seattle.

Chitty

Old 10-17-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
oh I know what you mean about that mayor in Irving,.. I was listening to a tejano station the other day and the crazy dj was trying to make light of what the mayor announced and the dj said if your a illeagal make sure when you're driving through Irving not to play tejano music and not to have your family name on the back of your car..lol I couldn't believe he said that but hey it's true they are harassing folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: