U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-03-2013, 04:41 PM

22 posts, read 32,969 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Arrived about 10 days ago and can't seem to confirm a good ferry transit to Seattle. I asked my Southworth toll person but couldn't get a clear answer, so I'll post this question before I try again.

I'm looking to take the King County food ferry from Vashon Island to Seattle (Pier 50) which arrives about 0632. At 6:00 or 6:05 there is a foot ferry only from Southworth to Vashon Island. According to KingCounty.gov, at 0610 a foot ferry leaves Vashon to Pier 50.

The question I can't get answered is...is the 0600 the same foot ferry from Southworth the same that leaves Vashon at 610 and then travels to Seattle? If not, because one is operated by WSOT and the other by King, is it possible to transfer from one to the other to make the commute? Do they wait for each other like some bus/ferries do?

I have to decide my working hours and hopefully this commute will work. Thanks for any insights.

Richard
Port Orchard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 06:00 PM

14,775 posts, read 18,084,357 times
i can see how this is confusing. The State ferry only goes from Vashon to Fauntleroy, in West Seattle. Then you have to get from there by bus or some other means to the NE end of West Seattle near Alki and take the King County ferry to Pier 50. That one can be problematic with more frequent mechanical issues than the state ferries. There is no direct service from Vashon to Pier 50. There is also a state ferry from Port Orchard that bypasses Vashon and goes direct to West Seattle, but again to Fauntleroy, requiring the additional trip to the County Ferry (Water Taxi) to Seattle. You are probably better off just taking the bus from Fauntleroy to downtown. Look into the Rapidline C at the King county Metro site.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:32 PM

22 posts, read 32,969 times
Thank you. Your post makes a lot of sense; just not what I would hope for. I've seen the Rapid C and would work and should look more into it. I appreciate the quick post.

Thanks for the info, as I have a week to decided my work hours, as they relate to the ferry/bus schedule.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:37 PM

14,775 posts, read 18,084,357 times
Most employers (like mine) will cut slack to people taking public transportation and let you make up the time at lunch or by staying later. Big employers depend on people that don't drive in to meet city/state requirements/goals, and have to report annually on it. Ours also subsidizes the Orca card which is good for the bus and the water taxi, but not for the
ferry.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,715 times
I see your confusion. The Vashon- Seattle -pier 50 ferry is run by King County metro, it is called the water taxi. It is NOT the same boat run by the State ferry from southworth to Vashon. This is it's schedule: Sailing schedule
The answer above is wrong, there is no foot ferry from Port Orch. to West Seattle. only from Southworth (not in Port Orchard). There is one from Vashon to downtown but not the STATE ferry system. It looks to me like the two system would meet up the way you want at 610 on the Vashon dock, but it might be tight. The Southworth-vashon crossing time is ten minutes and the water taxi leaves at 610. Gets into Seattle at 632.
The other way is taake the Kitsap Co foot ferry from downtown Port orch. to Bremerton and then take the State ferry to Seattle. Leaves at 6 , gets to Bremerton at 612. The Ferry to Seattle leaves at 620 and gets to the dock at 720.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area