Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 09:38 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,662,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
Instead of banning plastic bags why not make it easier for people to recycle them? I know that placing them in the trash is wrong, but I've received a noticed before warning me to never place them in my recycle bin again. So what do I do to get rid of them properly?.

Each plastic has it's own number to identify the chemical composition of the plastic. Like goes with like. You can't recycle #7 with #1 with #3. When this happens a batch of plastics containing enough of the wrong number is ruined and can't be melted and processed. The structural integrity is compromised. Or something like that

If you want to recycle your #4 plastic (grocery bags), bundle them up all together (make sure other numbers stay out of it) and take them back to your grocery store. They all have a place for them near cart storage. Our residental service provider takes them too, they just have to be bundled enough together so that workers can hand pick them during sorting. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Count David; 09-20-2014 at 12:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 02:05 AM

117 posts, read 392,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
. . . The other big gripe is with the berries. We eat a TON of berries and they all come in plastic containers too. That's my biggest waste right now... I remember when they came in cardboard

Also annoying is shopping in an urban area with high rates of thefts where the produce is often prepackaged, defeating all the efforts of shoppers in more enlightened areas. And stores where bad managers are not training baggers to put more than one item per bag.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:14 AM

117 posts, read 392,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
. . .

This is my first trip to leave WA in a few years and I'm just shocked in general at the lack of recycling and composting everywhere. I'm often cringing at what I'm seeing and experiencing. So glad I live in such an ecologically enlightened and concerned part of the country.
I am not really sure what's much worse than moving into a place with someone that represents themself as intelligent and enlightened, but you find yourself practically having to pull teeth to get them to recycle, or even set aside food scraps for the compost pile, in the garden They So Proudly Cleared Out For You To Use!!!! I want to strangle these people. I have asked, at minimum, for the coffee grounds and egg shells. I constantly find both these items in the garbage can. For No Earthy reason, other than they are lazy and clearly don't care.
I am actually growing some things, so its not just a matter of loving the earth, But. This household *does*
pay for garbage collection, and the explanation that every plastic bottle I take away for recycling leaves more space in the garbage can isn't hitting home either. I really made the mistake of believing everybody cares about these things.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:06 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,287,553 times
Gotta, I completely agree. I'm not a perfect but a little effort goes a long way in improving one's habits. I have found that just incorporating little things like having recycle/food waste bins closeby improves my compliance. It's so easy to throw that egg shell and plastic container in trash but not much more difficult to put them in the proper bins. And you get a little gold medal from nature each time you do .

Old 06-29-2017, 08:17 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,040 times
We already had a compost pile outside but did not put meat in it (attracts animals) or eggshells or bones (they don't break down well) and we were pretty diligent. But when the city said no organic matter in the regular trash at all, we bought this cute mini trash can with a removable liner. It goes on our counter which is also steel and it is really easy. We have a garbage disposal but we use that only in cleanup- we don't put garbage in it.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:23 AM

I had this friend-originally from around here but has been living elsewhere (where nobody recycles anything) and man, I'd just cringe to see her toss anything and everything in the trash. She came back here but doesn't recycle-doesn't even try. Painful to watch.

Me, I'm such a fanatic that, at work, I take empty Kleenex boxes to the break room cuz it's the only place in the building that has recycle bins. In the offices we only have the shred bins for recycling paper.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:24 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,044,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
We already had a compost pile outside but did not put meat in it (attracts animals) or eggshells or bones (they don't break down well) and we were pretty diligent. But when the city said no organic matter in the regular trash at all, we bought this cute mini trash can with a removable liner. It goes on our counter which is also steel and it is really easy. We have a garbage disposal but we use that only in cleanup- we don't put garbage in it.
Look into composting meat and bones, it is very doable and easy. If your compost pile gets hot, which it should, it will take care of meat in the same time it does anything else. Bones can and should go into the city utility compost, even if they might advertise to not(I am not sure if they do). Those large commercial compost piles can compost bones within days, it is kind of scary when you think of it. You could stuff a large cow in the middle of those compost piles and it will be gone within a week or so.

The mafia back in the days were doing it wrong.

I think the plastic bag ban is going very very well. Everyone is just use to carry around those reusable bags in their cars now. The 5 or 10 cents fee for a paper bag is reasonable to most as well. As a conservative, I am always cautious and initially skeptical when liberal governments push regulations in the name of being green, but this one is the right thing to do. Both liberals and conservatives are just too darn lazy to take care of their plastic bags, either recycling them or using them around the house. I see liberal transgender hippies hanging around the park chanting, love mother nature and screw the big banks! Then they allow a plastic bag to fly away and a bag of cheetos. I see conservative rednecks sitting on the back of their pickup shouting, " F U government, personal freedom! Don't tell me what to do!" While allowing a plastic bag to fly away, then throwing a beer can on the ground."

We need big government sometimes because humans are too freaking lazy.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:13 AM

Agreed. I'm not a nanny state fan but I do recognize the need for laws and ordinances. They are often used as methods by which societal corrections are implemented.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:09 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,923,423 times
Plastic bag bans are spreading accross the united states. The full state of California banned plastic bags. Here in Seattle if you ever shop in Lynnwood or Bellevue you can still get free paper bags or free plastic bags. Unfortunately in seattle city limits stores are required to charge 5 cents for each paper bag and 25 cents for a reausable plastic bag.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:07 PM

547 posts, read 506,564 times
The plastic bag ban is working great. Its wonderful seattlites took this seriously and band plastic shopping bags.
Nothing but plastic bags full of dog crap littering the sidewalks and roads now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area