Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 10:59 PM

19 posts, read 49,308 times

Advertisements

I live and work in Issaquah and my son attends the school I teach at. I live in Klahanie which is on the plateau just west of sammamish.

The schools up on the plateau have a lot of parent involvement through the PTSA. Sometimes too much. Some of the SAHM here in the Sammamish area can be very competitive and snobby. Not all but in my 16 years as a teacher, that has been my general impression. In my opinion, if you can walk into a school and get a feel for its diversity (besides asian and indian) then you will know that you are in a place that works with all people which is a plus. I don't know if that makes sense or not.

My only caution is the Issaquah Highlands. It's VERY crowded there. Zero lot lines, no yards, plenty of small little parks but they don't have character to them. It's also a little weird to drive up the hill and see the rise in house values. At the bottom, you have the YWCA, then apartments, then condos, then duplexes, then small single family homes, then larger mc mansions and at the very top of the hill you have your multimillion dollar mansions.

The elementary school in the Highlands has great teachers and leadership, it's just too darn crowded. They have 10 portable rooms on site and have had to move all kindergarteners to satellite schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 01:03 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,666,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoyle5 View Post
I live and work in Issaquah and my son attends the school I teach at. I live in Klahanie which is on the plateau just west of sammamish.

The schools up on the plateau have a lot of parent involvement through the PTSA. Sometimes too much. Some of the SAHM here in the Sammamish area can be very competitive and snobby. Not all but in my 16 years as a teacher, that has been my general impression. In my opinion, if you can walk into a school and get a feel for its diversity (besides asian and indian) then you will know that you are in a place that works with all people which is a plus. I don't know if that makes sense or not.

My only caution is the Issaquah Highlands. It's VERY crowded there. Zero lot lines, no yards, plenty of small little parks but they don't have character to them. It's also a little weird to drive up the hill and see the rise in house values. At the bottom, you have the YWCA, then apartments, then condos, then duplexes, then small single family homes, then larger mc mansions and at the very top of the hill you have your multimillion dollar mansions.

The elementary school in the Highlands has great teachers and leadership, it's just too darn crowded. They have 10 portable rooms on site and have had to move all kindergarteners to satellite schools.
Yep, this neighborhood is not for everyone. I have mixed feelings regarding the intentional income leveling but it ultimately sits well with me. It definitely makes it easier to see where we fit in. We could have afforded a SFH higher up, but settled on a condo across the street from where we had rented. What happened is that my kids had formed a "posse" with kids of 3 or 4 other families. I can't say I know any of the parents really well, but nonetheless, we've created mutual agreement and acceptance of each others' parenting philosophies. While parents higher up the hill might have their kids in 3-4 extracurricular activities and are really uber involved in their kids' lives, the school and other parents.. we're "relaxed", or as one person suggested, "lower-middle class" (which I suppose is true if only compared to other IH residents). The concept of a "playdate" is rarely used because it's just assumed that kids will be knocking on our door everyday and on a decent day, spend HOURS at the pocket park. Heck, today kids started showing up 15 minutes after school and they only left long enough to get their pj's and a pillow... spontaneously decided to have Friday night sleepover. Parents are happy, kids are delighted. Exactly the kind of childhood experience I didn't have, but wish I had. Not your style? There are plenty of other streets and housing clusters where they do things differently.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:06 PM

35 posts, read 78,952 times
Just wanted to thank everyone for all of the information posted to my original question. After several trips to the area, looks like we will focus on Kirkland. Looking forward to our move!

Old 03-30-2013, 08:09 PM

17 posts, read 31,679 times
Our moving Truck is scheduled to arrive (south of Houston, Tx) on June 17. We've decided to rent the first 6 months to a year so we're sure of where we want to be and have more time to really look (we require a lot more room, 4 bdrm minimum). I've been researching for 2 years and STILL don't know which city will be best for us and my kids. My daughter will be a junior and we need to stay within an hour of Seattle (if we didn't I'd live on the OP). This is SO hard to do from 2800 miles away. I actually had my grandmother call the other night and tell us not to go, that Washington was sinking. (due to the Whitbey Island slide on the news I'm sure). I'm a stay at home mom as well. Good luck to you! If you get any can't do without info let me know(: Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area