Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 10:36 AM

28 posts, read 52,662 times

Advertisements

So I currently reside outside richmond, va and am looking to pursue a career in GIS/Cartography. I have had zero luck with finding something entry level in northern va mainly because I don't have clearance(its a catch 22 up there). I haven't stopped applying, but I feel that's the trump card.

I'm looking to find somewhere to move that has a good amount of those options available so I can get situated there then apply away. I feel that some of the companies out there would definitely like local hires more than someone 2500+ miles away.

Are there any gis/cartography companies in Seattle other than these(below) I am missing? I am flying out there on the 28th and plan to visit as many of these as I can.
Kroll Map Company
Sgsi
Integral gis
Metsker maps(they're retail, but I wouldn't mind doing that until I find something)

I also might try amazon and Microsoft as options in case gis doesn't work out.

Also good that UW has a geography masters. I would just like work in that field before I jump into a graduate program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
Don't forget about local governments, too. A friend of mine works for the county on their GIS systems.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:25 PM

So, city of Seattle and king county. Not too familiar with the other surrounding counties. I'll check those out. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2013, 07:42 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,648 times
King county GIS is one of the top in the nation because they make a lot of data available to the public in easily digestible format. They also have an internal services department that can do a lot of hardcore stuff for clients including private sector. That's why you might not find very many dedicated GIS firms in the area. Because KCGIS will scoop up that work with brand recognition.

Now getting in with them depends on ur skillet. You have to know your craft and be comfortable around ESRI tools. Can you map? That's nice. Do you also have database experience. Ok we're a little more interested. Oh, you can create custom mapping applications with something like VBStudio? Ok, name your price. The UW turns out plenty of graduates with lots of carto skill but they are very very light on the programming side. The straight mapping guys are Dime a dozen. The ones who are picked up have the GIS knowledge with the CS Twinge so you can go from static maps to dynamic applications with extreme value to the end user.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:41 PM

Definitely done database work. Only problem is outside of my certificate program I have a whopping six weeks of professional experience in GIS. I'd love to find something entry level(junior analyst, technician, apprentice, whatever) then move from there and tackle python and possibly pursue higher Ed.

I am also eyeing companies outside the GIS realm for entry level work. History undergrad and about a year of management experience at a gym, but hoping to find something worthwhile. Sales, marketing, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area