Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 02:05 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,119,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We also had a longer summer than usual with sun into September this past year.
Sunny weather in September is not unusual because it happens almost every year. Actually last year it was sunny and 70+ until October. I remember being at a Sounders game on October 7 and it was HOT. June is the problem because it's usually rainy and cold and June 2012 was no exception. I was watching the Euro cup final on July 1 and it was raining and was 60. That is bad and happens more frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 02:06 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,119,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metoque View Post
this last summer was an anomaly compared to the previous 4 summers I've experienced.
The summer of 2009 was much sunnier, warmer, and longer than 2012 with a lot of temperature records. June 2012 was rainy and cold, while the summer in 2009 started in the middle of May and had a lot of 90+ in June and July, including 103 on July 29.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:32 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

Compare the dry brown hills where I used to live in CA to the kind of views we have here.
Hemlock, what are you trying to do?!

Joking aside, I've always liked the look of Pacheco Pass Highway/152 in Northern CA.

Pacheco Pass Highway (CA Rt 152) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 03-03-2013, 03:15 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisRunR View Post

My thought is, if it is SO miserable, why do so many live there?!
People go where the jobs are. Boeing & Microsoft are big draws.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:54 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,197,811 times
To each their own, but I really like the golden rolling hills of California, spotted with palm trees and the occasional greenbelt and wildflower patch. Of course on a (rare) sunny day here, we have some incredible views as well that can't be matched by anywhere short of the Alps or Hawaii. When you get here, check out Diablo Lake/Ross Lake area in July, it really is a sight to be seen.

It really looks like that when the sun is on it, even right up close, it's something to be seen.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:49 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,150,831 times
Western WA's weather is wonderful for the complexion! You won't have as many wrinkles and spots as folks living in sunnier states. You can always drive over to eastern WA if you need to see some sun....

Old 03-03-2013, 05:58 PM

51 posts, read 77,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
The summer of 2009 was much sunnier, warmer, and longer than 2012 with a lot of temperature records. June 2012 was rainy and cold, while the summer in 2009 started in the middle of May and had a lot of 90+ in June and July, including 103 on July 29.
Wrong

Old 03-03-2013, 06:00 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
To each their own, but I really like the golden rolling hills of California, spotted with palm trees and the occasional greenbelt and wildflower patch. Of course on a (rare) sunny day here, we have some incredible views as well that can't be matched by anywhere short of the Alps or Hawaii. When you get here, check out Diablo Lake/Ross Lake area in July, it really is a sight to be seen.

It really looks like that when the sun is on it, even right up close, it's something to be seen.
Amazing water color, beautiful.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:03 PM

39 posts, read 60,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
People go where the jobs are. Boeing & Microsoft are big draws.
Isn't that the truth! That is why we are headed West....job offer
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post

thanks for the tips and for sharing those Amazing photos!! I am looking forward to the wonderful outdoors the PNW has to offer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Western WA's weather is wonderful for the complexion! You won't have as many wrinkles and spots as folks living in sunnier states. You can always drive over to eastern WA if you need to see some sun....
already bringing some sun spots with me lol I refuse to put my Maui Jim sunglasses in my Moving Sale!

Old 03-03-2013, 06:11 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,371 times
To OP, I had to start antidepressants after living in Seattle for a while. I generally have a cheerful disposition, but the lack of sun seriously affected me. I love almost everything about this place, but the grey cloud-covered months can be difficult for many. I sometimes wonder if I am doing my children a disservice, and load them up with vitamin D supplements. Every one of my friends, very successful and educated, are on antidepressants. Sometimes sheer willpower to get through the winters is not enough. And despite what many say about not being affected by the hundred shades of grey, I think MOST people are in fact impacted to some degree. You can see it in our culture -- on sunny days, people seem more energetic and spill outdoors, while on cloudy drizzly days people are typically holed-up inside and become more passive-aggressive, rigid, unsmiling. I'm not the only person who has noticed this. We have a bipolar culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area