Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 12:51 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times

Advertisements

So I've been living in Bellevue for about 9 months now. I haven't made a ton of friends, despite dating around here and there. I'm a huge jazz fan though, since my job is very stressful, I've found some good jazz helps me relax and focus better. I've really been getting deeper into jazz (always been a fan), and I want to take a look at jazz alley.

I've found meeting friends in Seattle tough, partly because I'm pretty shy. In other cities I've lived in, people general come to me, but in Seattle I'm finding I have ti be mire aggressive socially. I found that I'm more willing to come up and talk to people when I'm in an environment where we have similar issues.

I read my horoscope (sorry I'm superstitious) and it said I would meet a person who will change my life at a concert. I just wondered is jazz alley an open environment that lends itself to socializing, or is it just a jazz venue where people listen to a performance, and then go about their merry way?

For anyone who has gone, what has been your experience on them social front?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 08:13 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,864 times
I would think you'd have a better chance at a bar that plays jazz. Jazz Alley is more a performance venue where people are herded to their tables, fed and watered, performance happens, then people are herded out to make room for next show. There are several places in Pioneer Square where more mingling occurs.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
I would think you'd have a better chance at a bar that plays jazz. Jazz Alley is more a performance venue where people are herded to their tables, fed and watered, performance happens, then people are herded out to make room for next show. There are several places in Pioneer Square where more mingling occurs.

Is there a bar that plays jazz in Seattle?

Old 03-07-2013, 09:38 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
I've been to Jazz Alley a couple times (2, to be exact), for specific shows. I was with dates, not on-the-make, but it seemed more a place to turn up for events vs. hang out and be cool.

There is a bar area, and I noticed some singles and small groups of ladies and guys, but it didn't have the vibe of a pickup sort of place. To me, jazz is a bit more-mature crowd than rock or hip hop, and theoretically "might" be a place to meet if you're got good-game (male or female). It all strikes me as very Bellevue, which is not a bad thing per se but does need a certain look.

But, in my view, it is a really cool place to see shows and I'll be turning up with my GF once per quarter or more until further notice. As another person mentioned, it seems more a venue than hangout.

Not exactly the venue you had in mind, ergo, per your request. Must be hell to meet people in clubs and such in this area, truly.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:53 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
The Royal Room in Columbia City has live jazz regularly, and is a bit more easy to socialize than Jazz Alley.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I've been to Jazz Alley a couple times (2, to be exact), for specific shows. I was with dates, not on-the-make, but it seemed more a place to turn up for events vs. hang out and be cool.

There is a bar area, and I noticed some singles and small groups of ladies and guys, but it didn't have the vibe of a pickup sort of place. To me, jazz is a bit more-mature crowd than rock or hip hop, and theoretically "might" be a place to meet if you're got good-game (male or female). It all strikes me as very Bellevue, which is not a bad thing per se but does need a certain look.

But, in my view, it is a really cool place to see shows and I'll be turning up with my GF once per quarter or more until further notice. As another person mentioned, it seems more a venue than hangout.

Not exactly the venue you had in mind, ergo, per your request. Must be hell to meet people in clubs and such in this area, truly.

This doesn't bother me all that much. I come from the East coast where people are a bit more formal. It's one of the main reasons I enjoy hanging in Bellevue over Seattle. I like being able to put on my dress shoes, a nice button up shirt, and a pair of slacks when I go out. I'm also not much into hip hop or rock as much either. So I don't mind the social atmopshere that jazz attracts.

I'll check out the Royal room. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look it up.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:37 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
The Royal Room in Columbia City has live jazz regularly, and is a bit more easy to socialize than Jazz Alley.
But that would require a venture into the evil Rainier Valley .... We love the Royal Room, plus Tuttabella is just across the street!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: