Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 12:16 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
So let me just say that...to the person who said I wouldn't probably die from a quake alone, but from buildings or things of that nature that would be the item that could kill me...

You do know....this is a city, right?
Seriously? You missed my point so go right ahead and pat yourself on the back if you wish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 01:05 PM

872 posts, read 2,029,793 times
I don't understand your point, I guess? I mean, I realize if I was out in the desert and we had a quake I probably would just fall over and be really sick...so, no I wouldn't die...but I am surrounded by man-made structures right now.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I don't understand your point, I guess? I mean, I realize if I was out in the desert and we had a quake I probably would just fall over and be really sick...so, no I wouldn't die...but I am surrounded by man-made structures right now.
My point is that your chances of dying in a quake are lower than in other disasters. It takes a structure to kill you and not every structure is going to. Lightening kills 250 people a year in the US. It can come through a structure at times. Flash floods have all they need to kill you. So my point is a large quake will definitely make you need a change of underwear but the structure you are in isn't guaranteed to collapse and therefore the death rate in earthquakes is much lower than in other disasters.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:14 PM

Okay. Well they talk about Mt. Rainier being able to destroy much of the area, so I still think that counts.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Okay. Well they talk about Mt. Rainier being able to destroy much of the area, so I still think that counts.
Mt. Rainier is not an earthquake LOL. If you mean it counts as far as another disaster, yes. However it is generally believed that Seattle may be far enough away from it to be considered safe from it unless there is a southeast wind which would then bring the ash cloud overhead. Generally, mid latitude winds blow east.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:34 PM

Just in case you didn't know:

What causes an Earthquake?

Large Earthquakes Trigger A Surge In Volcanic Eruptions

I mean, I understand what you mean when you say "less dangerous" but...

Old 03-20-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Just in case you didn't know:

What causes an Earthquake?

Large Earthquakes Trigger A Surge In Volcanic Eruptions

I mean, I understand what you mean when you say "less dangerous" but...
No you still do not understand. I will attempt to explain this to you one more time. If you still don't get it, then you don't get it.

In the last 100 or so years, earthquakes in the US have killed far fewer people than other disasters, period! The 1906 earthquake killed the largest number of people of any earthquake at 3000. The Galveston Hurricane 6 years earlier killed 6000 people. Since then no single natural disaster has killed that many. However, the amount of damages has increased and deaths still occur annually as the population has increased. More people are in harms way. Earthquakes by comparison have seen the death rates and damages decline. The Loma Prieta quake killed 63. Before it happened, a 7 point quake within 100 miles of San Francisco was supposed to cause much more damage than it did. The epicenter for that quake was 70 miles from SF. During that year when 63 were killed, 250 people were killed by lightening. About that same number also died from bee stings.

Off the top of my head, there have been no deaths from earthquakes in the US since 1994 (Northridge). yet each year since then, many have been killed by floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, lightening heat waves and blizzards. Since then there have been earth quakes in the usual spots as well as Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and the east coast. If I have missed any death in those 19 years, it certainly still won't equal even the number of lightening deaths in one year.

Also, volcanoes don't erupt the second a quake strikes. You clearly don't understand this type of geology do you? Strato-volcanoes like Mt. Rainier give a lot of warning before they blow. The magma has to rise in them which will trigger small quakes, steam vents and glacier melt. If you are killed in an eruption it's because you didn't get out of the way. Not because the earthquake some months before did it

Old 03-20-2013, 02:48 PM

SMH.

okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyy

Old 03-20-2013, 03:07 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
Earthquakes can directly result in:

Landslides, sink holes, heavy branches falling from trees, ground liquefaction, tsunami, can knock you off your feet and cause you to hit your head....

All of which can definitely be fatal. So yes, earthquakes without man made structures around can kill, but the likelyhood is greatly reduced.

I don't buy into any bone shattering scenarios involving frequency resonance however.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:28 PM

687 posts, read 1,494,306 times
I'll set everyone's minds at ease. We had BIG earthquakes in '89, '92, and '94. My 3 children were born in...you guessed it - '89, '92, and '94. Since I am not having anymore children, our chances of earthquakes has greatly decreased!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area