Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 03:40 AM

33 posts, read 302,912 times

Advertisements

I have been visiting both cities in February for a week, each. Seattle downtown sux! I very much prefer Portland downtown and they have superior public transport. But then - nothing beats Puget Sound I really liked Fremont and Ballard neighborhoods. Weekend in Alki, too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 06:29 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,286,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
While I pretty much agree with you on the issues you mentioned, Portland has always had more of a historical significance. ( once I was doing a tradeshow in NYC. I woman asked me where I was from. I told her I was from Seattle. She said 'Oh, that's near Portland somewhere'.) However, if I had to do it over again, I think I would move to Tacoma, it's becoming a great little city. Seattle is becoming too large and is loosing all the charm it once had, specially with all the new construction. And, with it's very liberal mayor, and governor, is becoming far too expensive of a place to live. We now have the highest gas tax in the nation and the head of the department of transportation still says it's not high enough as she seems to want to put a new toll on every bridge in the state, while the governor is completely silent about it. The people in Portland seem more liberal, which contrib utes to it's higher un-inemployment, but, I am completely dismayed that this state has this gas-tax and yet I hear no complants from anybody of the tolls that are being placed on their freedom just to drive from place to place. After all, tolls are nothing more then a tax on freedom, which now seems to be a commodity the younger generation no longer appreaciate.:th ink:
What are you talking about? The gas tax exists to fund our roads, highways, bridges, and transit - and, in fact, it's not enough. Much of our State's transportation infrastructure is in disrepair and unsafe. Since the recession people have been spending less on gas and the gas tax no longer covers many important costs. So, yes, more taxes and tolls are necessary.

Who builds and maintains roads? When you drive on a road or bridge, you are "using" that road or bridge to your benefit. Why would you be so opposed to paying a relatively small fee to keep roads and bridges current and safe? Where do you expect the billions of dollars needed for transportation projects to come from? Thin air?

It's not about being "liberal" or "conservative", it's about common sense. It takes money to build and repair things like roads and bridges that we all use and rely on. Why shouldn't the people who use these things contribute? Do you think if private companies built roads and bridges instead of the government, they would do it for free? That they wouldn't care about making a profit? I'd venture that driving would be a lot more expensive if private companies took over transportation infrastructure.

Unlike private companies, the government doesn't try to make a profit. They aren't trying to make a "profit" by tolling or taxing you, they are trying to obtain the minimum amount necessary to keep the transportation infrastructure that we all rely on in place and to build new projects that will meet our state's growing demand.

I hate to rant like this, but your kind of thinking on these types of issues is really damaging to everyone.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:04 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
What are you talking about? The gas tax exists to fund our roads, highways, bridges, and transit - and, in fact, it's not enough. Much of our State's transportation infrastructure is in disrepair and unsafe. Since the recession people have been spending less on gas and the gas tax no longer covers many important costs. So, yes, more taxes and tolls are necessary.

Who builds and maintains roads? When you drive on a road or bridge, you are "using" that road or bridge to your benefit. Why would you be so opposed to paying a relatively small fee to keep roads and bridges current and safe? Where do you expect the billions of dollars needed for transportation projects to come from? Thin air?

It's not about being "liberal" or "conservative", it's about common sense. It takes money to build and repair things like roads and bridges that we all use and rely on. Why shouldn't the people who use these things contribute? Do you think if private companies built roads and bridges instead of the government, they would do it for free? That they wouldn't care about making a profit? I'd venture that driving would be a lot more expensive if private companies took over transportation infrastructure.

Unlike private companies, the government doesn't try to make a profit. They aren't trying to make a "profit" by tolling or taxing you, they are trying to obtain the minimum amount necessary to keep the transportation infrastructure that we all rely on in place and to build new projects that will meet our state's growing demand.

I hate to rant like this, but your kind of thinking on these types of issues is really damaging to everyone.
'Damaging to everyone?' When we aready have the highest gas tax in the United States and state government wants to make it even higher as well as new tolls, seems to me 'everyone is being damaged by a currupt, out of control government, specially when our economy is in the pits.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:41 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
'Damaging to everyone?' When we aready have the highest gas tax in the United States and state government wants to make it even higher as well as new tolls, seems to me 'everyone is being damaged by a currupt, out of control government, specially when our economy is in the pits.
Perhaps the answer is no one is allowed to move to Seattle any longer unless someone moves out?

Old 03-24-2013, 11:56 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
We have no income tax. Our taxes are lower than more than half the states in the country yet we enjoy more beauty than almost anywhere in the country with the challenge that we need to travel over a lot of water to fully enjoy that beauty. No one "loves" taxes but I do not see repairing roads or replacing old bridges as out of control government. And if a bridge or road were to suddenly become inoperable, the government would be the first one blamed. A bridge like the 520 takes years to build and isn't cheap.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:59 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
We have no income tax. Our taxes are lower than more than half the states in the country yet we enjoy more beauty than almost anywhere in the country with the challenge that we need to travel over a lot of water to fully enjoy that beauty. No one "loves" taxes but I do not see repairing roads or replacing old bridges as out of control government. And if a bridge or road were to suddenly become inoperable, the government would be the first one blamed. A bridge like the 520 takes years to build and isn't cheap.
Washington state has two floating bridges - the most in the entire nation. That kind of engineering marvel does not come cheap.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:33 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,286,605 times
Quote:
What are you missing here? Look at the numbers - the State is woefully underfunded to do all of the necessary maintenance and repair. The money from the gas tax is used to build and repair roads that you and everyone else use and rely on. It's not just going into some black hole or someone's pockets. Every time you use a road you are inevitably causing wear and tear with your car - why are you so appalled that you'd have to pay a subsidized tax or toll?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area