Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 07:35 AM

1 posts, read 7,945 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a job in Kent, WA...what's it like there for a single woman, mid 40s who would be relocating back to the U.S. after living in Germany for 5 years?

I've searched the thread, but really only could find info/comments on housing?

How close is it to Seattle--looks like 20 miles, but is traffic prohibitive?

Crime? Proximity to hiking trails? Theatres? Political climate--liberal or conservative?

I used to live in Portland and loved it, so I think I'd be o.k. with the weather.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 03:32 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
I'd choose places to live in Kent proper very carefully as there a quite a few bad areas in Kent ...high crime areas.

Kent is a busy and congested suburb and is part of the interconnected sprawl of suburbs located south of Seattle. You'll find amenities plentiful. Political climate? I'm thinking fairly liberal but somebody who has more knowledge of that aspect can respond further. Hiking trails? Again, Kent is a busy suburb so you'll have to venture out of the metropolitan area to seek that type of recreation. There are several places relatively close which you could probably find to do some hiking such as Flaming Geyser State Park; it has some trails. Flaming Geyser State Park (page 1 of 2)

Yes, it's about 20 miles to downtown Seattle but if you're thinking of driving during the rush hour, it will be a congested commute. If you're not doing it daily (you say you'll be working in Kent), then to occasionally go into Seattle isn't bad.

Hopefully others will give you their viewpoint too.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:05 AM

403 posts, read 1,563,248 times
Kent has a bad reputation. That is all I know. I've only driven through a couple times, so I can't give specifics. I just haven't heard anything good about Kent.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:44 PM

158 posts, read 405,288 times
Default Don't trash the entire city

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2sweet4ne1 View Post
Kent has a bad reputation. That is all I know. I've only driven through a couple times, so I can't give specifics. I just haven't heard anything good about Kent.
Now, I don't live in Kent and never even lived in the area BUT I have a very good friend, a neurosurgeon, who has a sister who does live in Kent. When I was thinking of taking a job in Auburn he suggested I look to some of the upscale areas of Kent for housing. There are some very nice areas of Kent as can be confirmed by checking the real estate listings. These postings tend to be overly negative. I've seen the same negative bias on other sites such as automobile forums. I think people with an axe to grind are more likely to take the time to post. JMHO

Old 10-30-2007, 04:19 AM

403 posts, read 1,563,248 times
Ever watch the news? Kent is always on there for one thing or another. I have no axe to grind. Nothing personal against Kent or the people living in it. People have options. Deal with it.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:44 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Well, based on the stats posted here (2005 Crime Statistics for individual cities) Kent has 5.8 violent crimes per every 1000 people and there were 74.4 property crimes per 1000 people in 2005.

Compare this to the folllowing Seattle area cities:

Seattle: there were 7.1 violent crimes per every 1000 people and there were 75.1 property crimes per 1000 people in 2005

Sea-Tac: there were 5.1 violent crimes per every 1000 people and there were 86.5 property crimes per 1000 people in 2005

Renton: there were 4 violent crimes per every 1000 people and there were 95.6 property crimes per 1000 people in 2005.

Tukwila: there were 11.4 violent crimes per every 1000 people and there were 212.6 property crimes per 1000 people in 2005

Burien: there were 5.1 violent crimes per every 1000 people and there were 65.1 property crimes per 1000 people in 2005.

Auburn: there were 5.9 violent crimes per every 1000 people and there were 87.8 property crimes per 1000 people in 2005.

*Bellevue: there were 1.5 violent crimes per every 1000 people and there were 39.4 property crimes per 1000 people in 2005.

*Redmond: there were 1.8 violent crimes per every 1000 people and there were 37.6 property crimes per 1000 people in 2005.

* These are expensive, East-Side cities not really comparable to Kent but placed there for reference.

It looks to me like Kent falls in the middle of the pack in regard to crime when compared to other municipalities nearby.

Other years data is available on the website as well, but 2005 is the most recent.

Ken

Old 10-30-2007, 12:57 PM

158 posts, read 405,288 times
Default Crime is directly proportional to the poverty rate

of the area in question. Most crime is poor on poor. If you choose to live in a socioeconomically depressed area you will be at higher risk for crime than if you choose to live in a socioeconomically advantaged area. Of course, where you actually choose to live depends on your own economic situation which largely depends on the choices you made when you were younger, preparing yourself for adult life.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:24 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Too bad your choice isn't between Kent and Portland. That would be easy. I say really do your research on Kent regarding where you move. DO NOT secure an apartment without first visiting. Do not move sight unseen. You can do all the research, map searches, etc but nothing replaces visiting in person to get a feel for areas. When I moved to WA, I did all the online research, phonecalls, etc and moved to what was considered a good area and a good part of town, but the apartment was in a bad pocket---it happens.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 7,775 times
Default City of Kent - Up and Coming City

Rated #1 City in this years Seattle Magazine City Ratings edition, Kent is changing. Five years ago, you would have to be a true visionary. But now, the downtown has fanastic urban amentities and only lacks urban style housing. I'm sure that is in the works.
Up on the east hill you will still find pockets of land that were annexed from King County, back when the county just plopped down cheap apartment after apartment. Now the City of Kent is faced with serving that social issue. They are doing as good of job as could be expected. THe Lake Meridian Country CLub is also on the east hill of Kent. A great neighborhood and golf course. All around the lake for that matter is beautiful.
The City is doing a great job with business development and creating amenities. They are in the process of building a new home for the Seattle Thunderbird hockey team across from the Kent Station lifestyle center downtown.
Kent is worth checking out.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:07 PM

305 posts, read 1,609,694 times
With the new Kent Station shopping area having opened recently, Kent is becoming quite nice. There are still some depressed areas, but overall it is becoming quite nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area