Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:48 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Rents are higher then Seattle in the SF Bay, but I would say rents are lower then Seattle in San Diego. I could probably get a 1 bed apartment in San Diego equivalent to what I have here for about $1,050/mo and I'm paying $1,210 (plus $50/mo for water). AND in San Diego you don't have to pay for water and your energy costs are lower since you rarely use the heat or AC there. So I would say overall with renting, housing costs are lower in San Diego. Probably $250/mo out the door less when you factor in rent + utilities for a 1 bed apartment.

But depending on your income you pay 8-10% state income tax in CA, so you are still ahead in Seattle (lack of state income tax being part of the reason I moved up to WA State). But for people who make a low salary, they are not going to pay much or any state income tax, so in that case San Diego is a lot cheaper cost of living then Seattle.
Maybe it's changed. When I did my last comparison, San Diego was still more than Seattle. Another thing to keep in mind is that wages are comparatively lower in San Diego than almost all the west coast save maybe LA. Also, SDG&E is one of the highest utilities in the country. I think as far as gas and electric, second only to the one in Hawaii. It seems as though you struggle less in Seattle, overall getting more for your money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 07:42 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,200 times
Ha, I actually had the opposite experience. I had to pay for water/sewer/garbage for all my apartments in Houston, but I don't have to here!

Old 04-03-2013, 08:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
From Tenants--Seattle Public Utilities:

Effective July 15, 2011 Seattle Public Utilities will no longer open new water/sewer/garbage accounts in tenant names. Water/sewer/garbage accounts will be maintained in the owner’s name only.

TL;DR: Owners get the bill, and owners may partition that bill out to pass on the cost to the tenant. The tenant doesn't deal with the utility as only the owner has access to that info from the utility.
This is part of their cost-cutting plan. By law the landlord is responsible for the bill if the tenant skips out anyway, so they just eliminated lot of collection effort.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:16 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
SDG&E is one of the highest utilities in the country. I think as far as gas and electric, second only to the one in Hawaii.
SDG&E may be higher, but it you never use heat or AC is doesn't matter. For a 1 bedroom apartment my SDG&E bill was between $19-$25/mo. You rarely turn the heat on in SD and I never had or used AC in 7 years down there. Electric bill is higher in Seattle because you have to have the heat on a large part of the year and you have to pay water which you don't pay down there. So your utilities will be MUCH higher in Seattle. I agree wages may be slightly lower in SD, although it really depends what field you work in. But I disagree that rents + utilities is higher. I think Seattle is higher in those areas, especially rents in the close in nicer Seattle neighborhoods.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:19 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
SDG&E may be higher, but it you never use heat or AC is doesn't matter. For a 1 bedroom apartment my SDG&E bill was between $19-$25/mo. You rarely turn the heat on in SD and I never had or used AC in 7 years down there. Electric bill is higher in Seattle because you have to have the heat on a large part of the year and you have to pay water which you don't pay down there. So your utilities will be MUCH higher in Seattle. I agree wages may be slightly lower in SD, although it really depends what field you work in. But I disagree that rents + utilities is higher. I think Seattle is higher in those areas, especially rents in the close in nicer Seattle neighborhoods.
Well it was a while ago when I compared rents. Whether or not you use AC in SD depends where you are. It frequently got over 90 degrees near Qualcomm Stadium where I lived. AC was needed.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:52 PM

687 posts, read 1,493,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Free water in CA? Do they bring you food as well?
Nothing is free in CA!. Water and trash bills stay in the name of the property owner, so rent is usually bumped up to cover both. I'm sure CA landlords like that people just assume they're really generous.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:59 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,200 times
Quote:
Well this is slightly misleading. Obviously coming from San Diego to Seattle your electric bills would be expected to be higher here due to the pretty consistent temperatures down there where, like you said, you don't need to turn the heat or AC on much. Now for me, coming from Houston, electric is dirt cheap here. My water/sewer/garbage is included in my rent too (which it wasn't in Houston). My highest bill has been just under $90 for two months and that's keeping my place in the low 70s. In Texas, the lowest it would go would be about $60 a month in the spring/autumn. Also, my rent is lower here than in Houston and I live 2 miles from downtown as opposed to 10 miles from downtown in Houston. My place is about 100 sq ft smaller, but it's also $145 cheaper in rent. Not only that, but it's an amazing location and so much more scenic.

My point is, there is no generalised rule that says one place is more expensive than another. For me, Houston was more expensive than Seattle. Almost all of my living costs went down moving here and I have a higher salary and higher quality of life. So it really just depends on your personal situation.

Old 12-08-2020, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 8,018 times
It aggravates me when IDIOTS Say to Go read your tenants "Rights" WHAT RIGHTS!!!!!!!!
Especially here in Seattle, Bellevue, Redmond, Issaquah, Kirkland, WA **** State.
The kind of Disrespect against tenants is DISGUSTING, even the maitenance staff is Disrespectful.
And the WORST part is that these Crooked Landlord are above the law. This is the SAme a Mexico,
Colombia, and Argentina, it's ALL FRAUD. Tenants here get treated like they are ANIMALS, or even
worse.

Old 12-08-2020, 05:01 PM

234 posts, read 95,393 times
Yes.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:52 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
I've seen quite a few rentals around Puget Sound, that say tenant pays for gas & electricity, but LL pays for water and trash pickup, or just for water. Those always seem like a good deal for people like me, who like to take a long soak in the tub a few times/week.

But yes, OP, Ira's right; if your unit is metered separately, you should have had to set up an account with the city water utility. If reading your lease doesn't answer your questions, you can call the LL and ask how the water billing works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area