Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:51 AM

52 posts, read 236,796 times

Advertisements

In the market for a new or used vehicle, maybe a 4-wheel drive, and hoping for some insight on places you've gone or have any referrals or insight on how to start the process. Ideally something newer (last 5 years) and am not looking to spend more than 30k.

I know it's been asked before, but haven't found a lot in the way of answers or specifics.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 12:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I can only give objective opinion based on my own experience. The best to deal with for me was Bickford Ford
in Snohomish. The worst, by far, was Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram of Bellevue (formerly Eastside Chrysler-Jeep).
I have also had good experiences at Evergreen Ford in Issaquah and the Barrier Motors family in Bellevue (Mercedes,
Porsche, Volvo and Audi dealerships).

Old 04-11-2013, 01:03 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymunch View Post
In the market for a new or used vehicle, maybe a 4-wheel drive, and hoping for some insight on places you've gone or have any referrals or insight on how to start the process. Ideally something newer (last 5 years) and am not looking to spend more than 30k.
A rather open-ended question, fishing for opinions looks-like. I'll supply several, thus.

The Toyota dealer in Everett has sold me two trucks, and my peer two cars and a hybrid, 2002-2012. I will visit them again one day in the future, too. I generally like how Toyota does business, and the quality of their vehicles speaks volumes RE resale, JD Powers, Edmunds, etc.

I believe your price ceiling would get you into a 4x4 Tacoma (new). Used, definitely.

The salesman we deal with is an Aussie. You'll find him, he's been there for years.

Elsewhere, on the AWD spectrum, Barrier Motors in Bellevue offers a pleasant Porsche, Audi, and Mercedes experience (Edit: Volvo too, per another person's comments?). If that's your thing. They too have built long-term relationships with me and my peers, which is smart money.

I don't entirely "trust" any of them; each has tried to take me for a ride on service, and usually on minor stuff they think people won't notice (and most don't). I employ Ronald Reagan's "Trust, but verify" axiom to those situations to keep everyone honest. I doubt any car dealer on the planet won't try and cut corners where they can: nature of the business. Thus I don't really hold it against them.

Another JPN brand, starting with "N", always strikes me as having a significantly more-aggressive sales philosophy that totally turns me off. The dealers in Bellevue and Lynnwood pounced like vultures the second I exited my vehicle to look at product. Guess it must work for them, else they wouldn't do it, but definitely a different experience.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:41 PM

Thanks to both of you so far.

Definitely open-ended and definitely looking for personal experiences, insight, advice, whatever It's early and I'm new to the world of car buying so just getting a feel for it.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:17 PM

8 posts, read 18,391 times
Just wait til I move up there this fall I'm a car salesman and will be selling cars in the Seattle area soon as I possibly can!

Now everyone knows I'm a car salesman, no one will want to answer any of my questions

But seriously tips on buying a car:

Don't be a prick. We car salesman are all lumped into one category of being a guy who is a dirty money grubbing liar, which isn't the case. If you're nice it'll just go better. You're not going to get a good deal just b/c you're aggressive and rude.

Do you're homework. Do you're homework and test the sales person on a tough question. If they give you a "winging it" answer or just flat out lie. Then you'll know you're dealing with a true liar that says whatever to get a deal. If he says "I don't know but I'll look it up for you" then you're probably dealing with a decent person who actually has integrity.

Research price! Make sure you appraise your own trade (KBB, NADA) and look up the average selling price of the car. If you want the absolute best deal. Find out what rebates and dealer cash (if any) is out there on the car. Dealer cash is the cash the dealership is paid to sell the car. If you're a shrewd negotiator then you can get them to dip down below invoice into this money. I would never pay over MSRP, however it's my goal to sell it above MSRP! Watch out for bump stickers! They are additional dealer markup which is pure profit!

Old 04-12-2013, 12:29 PM

15 posts, read 19,811 times
My husband actually works at a car dealership - lots of 4 wheel drives there - Jeep's in particular are a passion of his. He truly loves cars (the opposite can be said for me haha) and decided to check the industry out a few months ago. He likes it so far, and is learning a lot and enjoys the interaction with people and the satisfaction of helping them find what they're searching for. Their prices are also very solid - we actually just traded our old Wrangler in for a newer one and I was pleasantly surprised with the experience. I'm totally vouching for him and his company...we wouldn't be married for almost 8 years if he was the shady type haha so I'm confident in my endorsement!

He said to pass along his info to you (OP) or anybody that's interested...just shoot me a message. He'd be happy to schedule an appointment or just chat with you to point you in the right direction.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:34 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonblake View Post
Just wait til I move up there this fall I'm a car salesman and will be selling cars in the Seattle area soon as I possibly can!

Now everyone knows I'm a car salesman, no one will want to answer any of my questions

But seriously tips on buying a car:

Don't be a prick. We car salesman are all lumped into one category of being a guy who is a dirty money grubbing liar, which isn't the case. If you're nice it'll just go better. You're not going to get a good deal just b/c you're aggressive and rude.

Do you're homework. Do you're homework and test the sales person on a tough question. If they give you a "winging it" answer or just flat out lie. Then you'll know you're dealing with a true liar that says whatever to get a deal. If he says "I don't know but I'll look it up for you" then you're probably dealing with a decent person who actually has integrity.

Research price! Make sure you appraise your own trade (KBB, NADA) and look up the average selling price of the car. If you want the absolute best deal. Find out what rebates and dealer cash (if any) is out there on the car. Dealer cash is the cash the dealership is paid to sell the car. If you're a shrewd negotiator then you can get them to dip down below invoice into this money. I would never pay over MSRP, however it's my goal to sell it above MSRP! Watch out for bump stickers! They are additional dealer markup which is pure profit!
Edmunds had a long article about car dealerships and sales techniques, some years ago. Hope they archived it. By far the best piece I've ever read on the subject.

Bottom line, per Edmunds, to Mr. Blake's point is that usually salesmen aren't the problem: hate the game, not that playa.

I personally go into vehicle deals knowing there will be give and take on that good old four square. With finagling, everyone usually comes out OK (Win-Win). Compromising or dominating isn't really the way to go for either party. "Getting to Yes" and follow up "Getting Past No" are the best and most easily digestible books I've read on the subject (negotiation). In addition to doing one's homework on the vehicle, of course.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:00 PM

872 posts, read 2,029,605 times
Hey, I know...why don't car manufacturers and dealers just sell it for a set price that everyone pays? Kinda like they do with...everything else! Let the car salesmen make money on selling you upgraded features or warranties, but not by screwing you out of the base price or dealer fees.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alison03 View Post
My husband actually works at a car dealership - lots of 4 wheel drives there - Jeep's in particular are a passion of his. He truly loves cars (the opposite can be said for me haha) and decided to check the industry out a few months ago. He likes it so far, and is learning a lot and enjoys the interaction with people and the satisfaction of helping them find what they're searching for. Their prices are also very solid - we actually just traded our old Wrangler in for a newer one and I was pleasantly surprised with the experience. I'm totally vouching for him and his company...we wouldn't be married for almost 8 years if he was the shady type haha so I'm confident in my endorsement!

He said to pass along his info to you (OP) or anybody that's interested...just shoot me a message. He'd be happy to schedule an appointment or just chat with you to point you in the right direction.

Message sent!

And thanks for the follow up responses everyone.

I understand it's the name of the game - they have to make money just like in any other business, I just want to find someone/someplace that won't gauge me for all I'm worth!

Old 04-14-2013, 12:07 AM

506 posts, read 2,574,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymunch View Post
Message sent!

And thanks for the follow up responses everyone.

I understand it's the name of the game - they have to make money just like in any other business, I just want to find someone/someplace that won't gauge me for all I'm worth!
Gouge?

Whereabouts are you looking? If you're not too far north or south of Seattle I can make some great recommendations.

Whatever you do, if you buy used, make sure you get a pre-purchase inspection on the car from a trusted mechanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area