Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 01:01 PM

22 posts, read 27,404 times

Advertisements

It looks very good (trying not to jinx it) we're moving to Seattle. My daughter is a sophomore in high school and is involved in marching band here here. I did some research and found Roosevelt HS to be great academically and they have an excellent marching band. Of course, choosing schools (I also have 2 in elementary) isn't based on the marching band. lol. It was just a pleasant surprise since we want to live in that area anyway.

We plan on renting a 4 bedroom (2,000-3,000/month) and I've come across a few nice homes via online ads. How close is the commute to the city? Is there reliable public transport? Where are the "pockets" in this area you feel a family with 2 small children should avoid, if any? Any information is welcome!

Thoughts on Roosevelt High School as well as the elementary schools in the area would be helpful. Goodschools.org can only provide so much information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 02:25 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,226,083 times
Most of the elementary schools that feed into Roosevelt High are very good. Bryant, Wedgwood, and Laurelhurst are all considered top notch. There are lots of buses that run into downtown, and the light rail being built will serve the area too( and have a stop right near Roosevelt HS)

Old 04-11-2013, 03:04 PM

118 posts, read 293,946 times
It gets a 7 on the greatschool ranking, as does Ballard High. So I think it's OK. That's the school district we are in (although my child isn't school age yet) and we are not terrified of the prospect.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:10 PM

22 posts, read 27,404 times
Thank you Suzi and Ira. We are flying out there in about 2 weeks and I hope to take a drive through this area in order to confirm my research. Your input helps to solidify our decision as well!

How wonderful about the easy bus access! And, I love that the light rail will be extended out that way - more good news )

Old 04-11-2013, 04:39 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,226,083 times
The area that is assigned as Roosevelt High school's is quite large. Goes as far north as 85th, and extends west as far as just beyond Aurora. So there are a lot of elementary schools that are hooked up with Roosevelt. And there are places to avoid living in. If I had young kids I'd probably avoid living right in the University District. Nearby Ravenna and Wallingford are fine. I'd avoid living within a block or two of I-5. It's noisy. Stay at least a block or two away from Aurora Avenue. It's perceived as crime ridden, a perception that's not so accurate anymore. Aurora is not bad at all right around Greenlake.
But the neighborhoods that send their kids to Roosevelt are mostly just fine. Wallingford, Maple Leaf, Greenlake, Roosevelt, Ravenna, Wedgwood are all nice neighborhoods. I'm partial to Wedgwood because they've got a good bakery. View Ridge is a tiny bit further, and also has a good elementary school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area