Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 07:15 PM
xqt

76 posts, read 128,911 times

Advertisements

SPIDERS!!! Spiders with long creepy legs.
Same with the yellow jackets.
In September there are fruit flies everywhere. One time I was removing nail polish during fruit fly season and a bunch flew into the nail polish remover and died.
I have also seen bright orange centipedes a few times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 12:53 AM

366 posts, read 595,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabrinaAne View Post
Dubfly- I wonder if those deer flies are like the biting flies we occasionally get here. We still have some farms nearby with lots of cattle and horses. I'll take those over scorpions any day!
Those are probably the same. Either that or they are horseflies, which are a related species. Either way, I agree, they are far better than the deadly scorpions you get in the Sonoran desert.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:59 PM

366 posts, read 595,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xqt View Post
SPIDERS!!! Spiders with long creepy legs.
Same with the yellow jackets.
In September there are fruit flies everywhere. One time I was removing nail polish during fruit fly season and a bunch flew into the nail polish remover and died.
I have also seen bright orange centipedes a few times.
Those long-legged spiders aren't pests, they eat fruit flies, ants and mosquitoes and are not poisonous to humans.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:05 PM

61 posts, read 110,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
Those long-legged spiders aren't pests, they eat fruit flies, ants and mosquitoes and are not poisonous to humans.
Are you two referring to what we call Daddy Long Legs? Tiny body (smaller than a pea) and super long, thin, delicate legs? If so, I concur, Dubfan. I don't consider them to be pests, but they are kinda creepy looking. Also, I've read that Daddy Long Leg spiders are extremely venomous. Good thing they don't have fangs that are strong enough to puncture human skin! If this isn't the spider you're talking about, can you post a link to the type you're referring to? Thanks!

UCR Spiders Site: Daddy Long Legs Myth
Ok. I stand corrected. Lol! Another myth; busted!

Old 04-17-2013, 02:22 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,049,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
Cats find them pretty tasty as well.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 AM

39 posts, read 52,798 times
I grew up in Seattle and then lived in Gilbert for 10 years. You will have NOTHING of the household pests you had in AZ. You might see a garter snake in your yard, fleas in the summer (only if you don't put a flea collar on your pets), rarely a big spider. We never had any kind of pest problem and no one uses a monthly pest service like you have to do in AZ. The lack of bugs/snakes is one reason why the PNW is so nice. I never even used mosquito repellent.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 AM

39 posts, read 52,798 times
That rare spider, 99% of the time will be a Daddy Long Legs. Do not worry about household pests for one second longer.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:49 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,575,048 times
Bed bugs, while not super common in Seattle, are always something to watch out for. I declined a viewing of an apartment building last weekend near downtown because of a reported bed bug problem back in 2011. Any word of that you want to run the other way. They're notoriously hard to get rid of once they get into a building.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:10 AM

61 posts, read 110,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raredeminaz View Post
That rare spider, 99% of the time will be a Daddy Long Legs. Do not worry about household pests for one second longer.
Thank you! That is so awesome to hear :-) Having lived in Gilbert yourself (we are in Chandler), you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about! We have not had a pest control service for the last 8 years, so you can imagine what we have had to deal with! A few years back we had a wolf spider infestation inside and outside. I sat down in the powder room once and as soon as I did, I noticed 3 of them (each about the size of a silver dollar pancake) below the sink cabinet overhang. Not cool. They were in the entertainment console as well as in the kitchen. Blah!! And one time, when my husband was out of town, I had to run out for meds for one of my kids and when I opened the front door two scurried in (and they move fast!) and there were more all over the front porch. I had to call my neighbor to come help me because I was too freaked out to even open the door again. I am really looking forward to not having to worry about that any more. What a relief! Snakes might startle me, but since I know they are not harmful, I'm not afraid of them. I actually like them, as long as they don't crawl up my leg :-)

Old 08-20-2017, 08:33 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,124,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secret_squirrel View Post
<<Not too terribly concerned about a man-eating beaver attack.>>

Maybe you should be - a man in Belarus was just killed in a beaver attack. I just read that today, lol (I mean no lol, a man died): HuffPost Live
I figure if it's Man vs. Beaver, here in the great Seattle outdoors, I'm going to grab an oar and slug it out! May the best critter win!

(This did not seem to be too much of a threat in the North Creek Watershed of Mill Creek, last place I saw beavers around here.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area