Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 02:21 PM

257 posts, read 608,871 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I moved here from the Midwest on Christmas. My sister and her husband have lived here for over 10 years, and I so I had come out a few times a year before this. I like just about everything out here, aside from the lack of sun.

Honestly I wanted to see if I could make it through the winter. I suspected I had SAD before moving here and after moving here it got worse. I can't say it is 100% the SAD as I had a close relative pass away in October. But if it is not SAD I suspect it is intensifying things. I have tried: Northern technologies desk lamp up to 3 times a day, light visor, Philips GoLight blu (this didn't work as well for me), negative ionizer, dawn simulator, vitamin D supplements, going outside (I moved here in part for the outdoor sports, I normally love them but the SAD made me feel like not even doing them - which is very strange for me), I workout all the time so exercise isn't an issue, but the SAD again makes me feel like not doing it (again, WEIRD for me). These things help, but I still don't feel "right". I am not suicidal, but feel like sleeping a lot, lethargic/lose motivation, etc. That is the opposite of who I am normally!

I didn't realize SAD could be so severe.

I just went to the mountains yesterday, cross country skiing and snowshoeing. After being in the sun all day, I felt SO great, had so much energy, I wonder if I should just move away to somewhere sunnier? It was the same in the week or so we recently had of sun. I was outside all day each day and put up about 90 feet of 6-foot wood fence for my sister. When the clouds roll in I feel like going back to bed.

Are there other things that might help? I.e. buying a house with a lot of skylights/southern exposure, installing a lot of full spectrum lights throughout the house, etc. I thought going to the mountains regularly might help too (is it generally sunny there when cloudy down here?), but what if I am not able due to job commitments etc. I'd really rather not take anti-depressants (seriously) to have to live somewhere. Do you find it gets better?

I am in a position financially that I don't have to worry about working (yet) and my sister is not charging me for rent. As I said I like most everything out here (even the weather, cool and overcast is perfect for runners year round) but just wonder if anyone is successful dealing with somewhat serious SAD here, or if it is just better overall to move somewhere with more sun before I get too tied down with a job, relationship, etc. It would be a huge bummer to move away from my sister but I want to do what's best for my health long term as well. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 02:45 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Well, it certainly sounds like you put your best effort into it. If you've done everything that you say you have, I would think that maybe this really isn't the place for you. On the other hand, we are getting to the end of it (yes, I know summer doesn't really start until July 4 here) but you can expect more warmer days, even on the rainy days, and some more sun, like what we have right now. If you can afford a place with meteorologic perfection, maybe head down to CA. I don't know, sounds too individualistic for me to give advice on. If you functioned well though (even if unhappily) and are willing to put up with it like the rest of us do, than keep it going. If not, thanks for stopping by and good luck.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:54 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,039 times
I don't live in Seattle but I live in upstate NY, we are pretty darn close in terms of clouds and winter misery.

FYI SAD gets worse as you get older. Every winter it gets a little worse. By July I think I am imagining how depressed I was.

I regret not moving to NC 10 years ago when I had the chance. If you have the chance I highly recommend giving it a try somewhere else. It sounds like you don't have any commitments and are able to be mobile in your location.

Life's too short to live 6-9 mos a year in a state of avoidable depression.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:11 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I remodeled my house to take advantage of the south walls, and let in a lot of natural light. I also find the full-spectrum light bulbs helpful. I've heard that some doctors have had success treating patients with the negative ionizers, but I guess that didn't work for you, OP...? I say, do what works: go skiing or hiking on sunny days, force yourself to take walks at least, even on cloudy days. See a grief counselor re: the death in the family, see if that makes a difference.

Best of luck!

Old 04-15-2013, 04:27 PM

257 posts, read 608,871 times
Thanks for the comments!

The thing that has helped the most I think (aside from sunny days, which give the most improvement) is the Northern Tech bright light. If I use that 3x a day, I feel better (not 100% but better)... but then it gives me insomnia. I've tried changing the schedule and/or using it less for the insomnia... the insomnia starts going away but simultaneously I start feeling tired and depressed again. If I live with the insomnia, then I start getting tired from sleeping poorly! I'd rather have energy with insomnia though, I guess, and so I use tart cherry extract alternating with valerian to help me sleep. The ionizer I keep on all the time in the bedroom, so I can't say if it has helped or not, I just leave it on out of default because I don't want to change anything. The visor seems to help too, but I know I look odd wearing it and you can't do much with it on because it's actually hard to see. I also sometimes worry about retinal damage from using these lights so often.

My family used to make fun of me for all this but I got mad one day and told them to stop, it's not like it's enjoyable for me to have to do it in the first place, never mind all the jokes, so they lay off now. After the drastic improvement from being in the sun yesterday though, I think the lights more delay or slow the action of SAD taking over, rather than stop it completely. I thought I was not "that" bad and then realized how much better I felt in the sun. That's the other scary thing, sometimes I don't even realize how much it's taking over my persona until we get some sun and I was like, "Dang I've been a real ******" and/or realize how little I have been doing or wanting to do lately.

My Mom is visiting and even noticed the changes in me. She said maybe this place isn't right for me, if I have to do all this every day. I wanted to move here for so long, this is really disappointing if I can't work this out. Again I like pretty much everything else (outside the cost of living, I'm single, try buying a house in this market on one income... LOL)

I originally committed to staying here a year due to the outside events to make sure there was clarification as to what it was. I do know the summers are gorgeous out here though, so I would also not want to deceive myself and say, "It really wasn't THAT bad" and then be kicking myself next winter. Like I said it would stink to have to move away from my sister. The SAD even makes my thinking foggy so it's hard to make good decisions. I know it sounds like I am blaming everything on the SAD but again I didn't realize how bad it could get.

I just didn't know if I am being delusional in thinking there were things I could do to make this a lot better. I took a personality test before and it said I can hang on to bad situations (or situations that are bad for me) too long thinking I can make them better, and I think that's true. I did that with my last job, last city (Cincinnati: hated it, would rather deal with SAD than go back) so want to make sure I'm not doing the same thing!

Old 04-15-2013, 04:45 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Yeah, plenty of sun in the summer, OP! It stays light until close to 10 pm.

I'd say try the grief counseling, to see if that's a factor. If things aren't better next fall/winter, then consider a move to California. What line of work are you in? How transferable is your job?

Old 04-15-2013, 05:34 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,039 times
I actually found city-data when I was in a SAD low. Mine gets pretty debilitating. Come January and February, with the below 0F temps and snow and gray I have to force myself to leave for work every morning. Now I am coming out of it, but it was also 60F and sunny today, going back to the 40s and rain tomorrow.

Anyway back to my point. While on here I came across another woman who had suffered from SAD for years. She had finally moved to Florida and said that living there cured her SAD. She also told me about things she did to cope like house sitting and pet sitting for people in Florida while they were on vaca. She would fly to Florida from wherever she lived, I can't remember where, another miserable winter state, and watch peoples pets just to be in the sunshine.

It helps me to know there is a cure eventually. Medication isn't really an option as I am completely cured in the summer. It took me years to figure out what was wrong with me, then another year to believe it was true. I too find being outside in winter to make it worse instead of better. I try to get involved but all I think about is being inside where it is dry and warm. I can't stand wearing a coat, mittens, or head gear so that compounds the problem. Plus I am very sensitive to cold, I have poor circulation and my hands and feet are always cold, almost but not quite painfully so, but definitely enough to scare my husband out of bed in the morning

I am 33 now. I was around 27 or 28 when I figured out what was wrong with me. I've tried everything and the only thing that can cheer me up in winter is a vaca south of the mason dixon. Actually not even that far, seems like my mood starts rising once we get out of the PA mountains, around Chambersburg PA. Thats also when it turns sour on the way back. By Scranton I'm fighting tears. Thats when everything starts looking gray and bare again.

My grandmother lived in NY state all her life. First the Binghamton area then upstate. (Im about 20 mins from Canada). About 15 years ago she retired and they started going south to Myrtle Beach for the winters. Just this year we were talking about winter and she said she will never be back for another NY winter. Apparantly she had SAD too and never knew it, but now that she's in the South she finally feels better.

So yes, I think there can be relief with moving. Its the one thought that gets me through. However, the fact that you were also unhappy in Cincinnati makes me a little worried that there may be more going on than just SAD

Old 04-15-2013, 05:48 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
We built a room with large south facing windows and made a comfortable reading space out of it. That was the single best thing for me. Those special lights did nothing for me. But after 35 years of Seattle winter misery, we recently pulled the plug and moved to Maui.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:23 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
I love the clouds and rain and would be just as happy never seeing the sun, but as I've said on here many times, Seattle weather is not for everybody. I can understand how the relentless gray, cloudy skies could get to you. Honestly, it sounds like you've given it a fantastic effort, but your health -- mental and otherwise -- is not something to take lightly.

On the other hand, you could wait till summer arrives. You'll get three good months of sunny blue skies and warm temps. Maybe that'll be what you need to recharge your batteries and make it through the cloudy months.

I hope it all works out for you.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:38 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
It definitely gets to some folks. You could try giving it another year - it's year two that seems to really get people. They can grit their teeth through the first one, then summer comes and it's gorgeous and they think 'this place isn't so bad', but the second winter nails it one way or the other.

That's about how long my brother lasted. I miss him and his family dearly, but now I go visit them in sunny CO (where they are extremely happy with the weather). He's so much happier there. I'm sorry Seattle wasn't for him, but I'm relieved he's found a place that's such a great fit for the whole family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area