Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 11:27 AM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times

Advertisements

And insights to the weather! We will definitely do the layer dressing!
I might imagine many locals rarely use an umbrella?
I remember walking around London with hubby and his friend who barely noticed the rain, and I was all bundled up using an umbrella. I said, how come you guys don't carry an umbrella? You'll get wet! Answer "Yup, we'll get wet, but it's barely raining" Question: What if it's raining really really hard? Answer: "We'll stay indoors". LOL!
These days I rarely use an umbrella!!! (oh and yes we do actually get a little rain here now and then!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosin View Post
I concur with Kayela's advice and would add a few more. I've lived here seven years (relocated from Redding, in fact!), and I'm still wanting to ride the Ducks in downtown Seattle and do the Seattle Underground Tour. Add those to your list, too. If you are lucky enough to come during sunny weather, any of the WSF ferry rides to the San Juans, Bainbridge Island, or even to Bremerton or Kingston will offer great views of Puget Sound, Mt. Rainier, and Mt. Baker. Port Townsend (Victorian seaport) and Hurricane Ridge in the Olympics (hiking) if you have the time--they are about 2 hours away from Seattle by car/ferry.

(Not trying to be a negative Nanny) However, just checking--you do know that Redding is about halfway between OC and Seattle, right? You will have about another 10-12 hour drive north to get here, depending on stops and Portland traffic. Keep in mind that it will most likely be in the 80s when you are visiting Redding and in the 50s and 60s when you are visiting here. It is quite a shock to the system. Bring cool weather clothes and a lightweight rain jacket.

If you do make it up here, will you promise to bring sunny weather with you? Hope you have a great time!

Hi there! Redding is a beautiful area, but boy does it get hot! Saying that, there's nothing like jumping off a boat into Whiskeytown Lake when it's over 100 degrees huh?
And yup, the first thing I do anytime I'm thinking of a road trip is look at Mapquest! We'll have three adult drivers so we'll be able to switch off, or we may stop in Portland for an overnight. It's about 3 hours from Portland to Seattle. That way we can drive into Washington during the day (be it sunny or cloudy!

BTW what is "riding the Ducks?" I automatically thought of hockey!
I have heard about the underground tour though and will be checking it out.
As for bringing sunny weather, I'll do my best!

Old 04-27-2013, 12:53 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
And insights to the weather! We will definitely do the layer dressing!
I might imagine many locals rarely use an umbrella?
I remember walking around London with hubby and his friend who barely noticed the rain, and I was all bundled up using an umbrella. I said, how come you guys don't carry an umbrella? You'll get wet! Answer "Yup, we'll get wet, but it's barely raining" Question: What if it's raining really really hard? Answer: "We'll stay indoors". LOL!
These days I rarely use an umbrella!!! (oh and yes we do actually get a little rain here now and then!)
London and Seattle have VERY similar weather! It doesn't rain huge quantities here, it's just sprinkling here and there. It's the unpredictability that bothers a lot of people... always having a light jacket with a hood or a small travel umbrella with you can get old. But we manage!

Old 04-27-2013, 01:00 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hi there...
My husband, collage age son and I will be visiting my brother in Redding, Ca. (driving from So. California) next month for a few days and decided to extend our trip and take the drive up to Seattle. While we definitely want to go to Pikes Market and go up the Space Needle, we really want to see some of the beautiful areas surrounding the city.
Wow!! I'm overwhelmed as I'm doing my research! There're so many places to see no matter what direction you go! Too many choices! (Although I think I really want to see Hoh rainforest if I had to choose just one place)
Anyway, question for residents of Seattle and it's surrounding suburbs... do you plan weekend getaways a lot? What are some of your favorite places for hiking or just relaxing?
Everything thing I'm looking at on a map seems to be a few hours away. I would imagine there are B&Bs everywhere!

We're in Orange County BTW, and we have LA to the north, San Diego to the south, Las Vegas seems to be a popular destination for a lot of folks if you like that sort of thing. The San Bernardino mountains are pretty nice. Of course we can always go to the beach, but aside from seeing a pretty sunset, we don't really spend time AT the beach. So aside from the coast, So. Cal is a little scrubby looking to be honest.

We have a friend who moved to Sacramento and he's just a few hours to drive to Yosemite, Shasta, The Redwoods, Lake Tahoe etc. I'm jealous! LOL!
So far we have had a few days of sun, now it's back to cloudy days with some wind blowing up for a rain storm, I fear. The Hoh Rainforest is just that, a rain forest, the wetest spot in the US, mostly cold, wet and miserable, and you won't see much because of low clouds and fog. Not the best place for a Southern Cal native to be. Us Seattlites usually like San Diego, or other states like Arizona or New Mexico. You have no reason to be jealous, enjoy what you have, -wish we could.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:07 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
London and Seattle have VERY similar weather! It doesn't rain huge quantities here, it's just sprinkling here and there. It's the unpredictability that bothers a lot of people... always having a light jacket with a hood or a small travel umbrella with you can get old. But we manage!
they have similar weather, but Seattle is warmer, sunnier and much drier in the summer.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:40 PM

301 posts, read 519,717 times
Default Riding the Ducks

The Ducks are amphibious vehicles that are a water and land tour of Seattle hotspots. Part of the Seattle experience :

Ride the Ducks of Seattle - Fun and unique tours of Seattle! Call 206-441-DUCK!

Old 04-27-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
So far we have had a few days of sun, now it's back to cloudy days with some wind blowing up for a rain storm, I fear. The Hoh Rainforest is just that, a rain forest, the wetest spot in the US, mostly cold, wet and miserable, and you won't see much because of low clouds and fog. Not the best place for a Southern Cal native to be. Us Seattlites usually like San Diego, or other states like Arizona or New Mexico. You have no reason to be jealous, enjoy what you have, -wish we could.
Oh you mean the grass is always greener yada yada?
But there's no doubt about it, we're pretty spoiled here. The living is easy because you can just hop in your car and go. No ice to worry about or rain gear etc. etc.

Ironically, I was just talking to my neighbor who's moving back to the Bay area tomorrow! She doesn't like how hot it is here. We were both talking about how we get cranky when it gets warm. Our high today was 80 degrees BTW. Ug! Summer hasn't even started yet!
Last winter we had an unusual cold snap for our area where the high was in the 50's and the low was getting down to 30. (I know that's not that cold, but relatively speaking for So. California it was) I like those temps best, I feel invigorated, and I get to wear sweaters!
But I hear ya! If I was living in Seattle, I'd probably go visit my brother in Redding more often when I need a break from the wet stuff.

As for the rain forest, I would like to see it... we still have our rubber boots we bought for our hike in Fern Canyon in Northern California last year. It's pretty drippy in there!

Old 04-27-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosin View Post
The Ducks are amphibious vehicles that are a water and land tour of Seattle hotspots. Part of the Seattle experience :

Ride the Ducks of Seattle - Fun and unique tours of Seattle! Call 206-441-DUCK!
Could be fun... wonder if my introverted kid could tolerate it though. They showed people walking like ducks crossing the street in the video. He might be horrified! LOL!

Old 04-27-2013, 08:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I walk a mile from the bus to work and back every day and while I carry an umbrella in my back pack I use it maybe 2-3 times a year. When it rains hard it's always too windy for an umbrella, and with the normal light mist just a hood on my jacket does the job.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I walk a mile from the bus to work and back every day and while I carry an umbrella in my back pack I use it maybe 2-3 times a year. When it rains hard it's always too windy for an umbrella, and with the normal light mist just a hood on my jacket does the job.
Yup, had the experience of the umbrella blow inside out in England a few times! I thought that only happened in the movies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area