Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 05:45 AM

117 posts, read 246,754 times

Advertisements

I recently ran into some very insightful information on Bellevue area, thanks to another poster. I was wondering if they were true, as they ran counter to my impressions on Bellevue (I'm not native). I'll post some questions, then shed some background info on myself:

The main reason I wanted to be in Seattle was to raise my future children away from the Hollywood/Manhattan culture of being "in"--which extends to charity work--and more around family-oriented and humanitarian values. In general, for those at the upper echelon of society, both worlds are exclusive and based on money and status to an extreme bent. It's true that there are some major humanitarians, but I'm speaking more of the typical society person you run into. In those places, generally people donate and attend charity events because it's something to do, not because they necessarily believe in the cause. To reiterate, instead of participating or donating because individuals truly feel it is important, many individuals from LA/NYC society participate only "to be see and be seen." While I don't expect this sort of mentality to be eradicated in any locale, I got the vibe this was less rampant in Seattle than in LA/NYC. My questions are directed at discovering whether these notions are true/unwarranted.

1) Is it true that in Seattle, there is more direction towards family-oriented and humanitarian values here?

- My visits to Seattle have largely been around the U-Village and U-District, mostly around doctors and surgeons, which I know isn't representative of the whole Seattle population. From these visits and at least around these people, it seems that in Seattle, there's more of that positive aura here than in Hollywood/Manhattan--where people help because they really want to, not just see and be seen. It seems like a less "status"-oriented place, where it is easier to infuse children with meaning and direction, but I would like to confirm this with locals.

2) I am strict about sending my kids to public schools; I want them to be a bit more in touch with reality, but I would like them to go to the top public schools in Bellevue/Issaquah area. What is the general top public school experience like in Bellevue/Issaquah area?

- I'm trying to avoid the phenomenon where they go to school with mostly billionaires and their social norms become warped. My friends out in the mid-west and east coast that went to top private schools seem to be out of touch with reality (even more-so than friends who went to Harvard-Westlake in CA). A lot of them think they are just average or below average financially, but they need to compare themselves to the average American, not the average billionaire, and be happy with their situation. It's a strange phenomenon that I dislike.

3) While I will home my kids in one of the best and safest parts of town with access to the best public schools, I want them through their extracurriculars to be exposed to a range of people and situations. If my children grow up in Bellevue, is there still opportunity for this kind of local exposure? Are there a number of other families or teens that strive for a more worldly life?

- I ask because the few children I do know in the Bellevue/Medina area (only 4) are extreme partiers with little interest in helping others. Their interests consist of love and romance, travel, concerts, and shopping. Only 1 of 4 cares about an education, but even so, she doesn't think of others and helping others. 4 is a small sample size, I know, so I am asking around.

- I am willing to drive my children around anywhere in the city to gain necessary experiences. I really want them to realize growing up in a MM home is not the norm for many, that they should appreciate it, and that they should want to give back. I want them to grow up helping others, and hopefully with other children.

4) About society culture in Seattle--my bf mentioned there's lots of charity events and charity auctions that his family and friends meet to help local institutions. I ask here because, well, I'm not sure if I'd get a non-biased answer from him. I heard from another poster however that Bellevue and Medina area people who frequent these events are clique-ish and exclusive? ...Does anyone know if, IN GENERAL, people participate in these events just as part of the social culture/for business, or do you know if they actually care about helping others?

-----
ABOUT ME:

I grew up in Irvine and the Palisades, CA, but I guess I'm a little bit of a granola-type at heart, without the super outdoorsy-lifestyle (minus being with horses). Perhaps I'm more of a Northern Californian at heart in my philosophies and world views (though I wouldn't want to live in CA or IL due to their current political corruption and bankruptcy/taxation issues). I think success is not just financial, but it's an attitude, mentality, and love for others; I think health is about being open-minded and accepting of others, and helping wherever you can, but also identifying and taking yourself away from those who harm you.

I've heard from many peers that I'm a bit weird or unusual. For example, I don't vacation. Instead, I travel and volunteer/help in places that open my eyes. I'm scared of being sucked into a world of "norms" where it's easy to ignore anything that isn't pleasing or easy to deal with. I plan to take my children on these trips to volunteer so they can see the range of realities across this Earth, and that it is important they don't forget those less privileged. I'd like to show my future children it is important to be successful so you can help others in meaningful ways (not just giving away chunks of money meaninglessly, but to organized programs that help the less privileged set up their lives well through academia or other specific work skills, elderly, or infirmed). I'm under the impression Seattle is filled with more individuals with a similar vision than say, West LA/Manhattan.

I'll preface this by saying I've had a relatively privileged life, fortunately coupled with a strong humanitarian education and upbringing. My family has always been very involved in improving the community. No need to be attacked by other posters or have people post "donate all your income to help others" etc. I've already dealt with that in my other post, and this is not a post for that kind of discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 08:38 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,764 times
I think, you're dreaming and you're the one out of touch with reality.

The majority of people and familes who live in Manhattan are "regular" people and families with values you're so desperately seeking.

If you want your kids to be down to earth and have a life-lasting experience meeting people of all walks of life, Manhattan and NYC in general is the place to be.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:02 AM

Again, read whole prompt. I referred to Manhattan high society. You referred to typical families in Manhattan. 2 different things. If you know anything about Seattle society culture and charity auctions etc (question 4), now that would be helpful. Otherwise, critiquing the prompt or pushing NYC does nothing in terms of being useful, as I am clearly not moving to NYC. While your post expresses your opinion, which you are free to do, it is little use to the thread. It leaves questions regarding Seattle still unanswered, and if you know nothing of Seattle, then this isn't the forum for you, but if you do know Seattle and have answers/opinions regarding the 4 questions, of course, I would really love to hear it from a local.

Last edited by soci3tycat; 05-03-2013 at 09:18 AM..

Old 05-03-2013, 10:04 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
I wouldn't just throw private education out the window - comparing private schools here to East Coast schools is not a good comparison ... many middle-income families here in Seattle send their kids to private schools to allow their kids to learn about compassion for others and to support humanitarian causes. Sending your kids to the 'best public schools' will not alleviate your concerns about elitist attitudes.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
I wouldn't just throw private education out the window - comparing private schools here to East Coast schools is not a good comparison ... many middle-income families here in Seattle send their kids to private schools to allow their kids to learn about compassion for others and to support humanitarian causes. Sending your kids to the 'best public schools' will not alleviate your concerns about elitist attitudes.
I think this opinion is helpful, as it directly deals with some of my questions. While sending my kids to the best public schools may not completely alleviate/eradicate elitist attitudes, I don't feel that sending them to the best private schools would alleviate it, either. My questions were on which was likely the best way to do that? I am open to hearing your reasonings if you'd like to elaborate.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soci3tycat View Post
I think this opinion is helpful, as it directly deals with some of my questions. While sending my kids to the best public schools may not completely alleviate/eradicate elitist attitudes, I don't feel that sending them to the best private schools would alleviate it, either. My questions were on which was likely the best way to do that? I am open to hearing your reasonings if you'd like to elaborate.
Define "best schools" - are you looking for schools that have the best scores, the highest incomes, the biggest endowments, in the most expensive neighborhoods ... or the schools that are best for your particular kids?

Old 05-03-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Define "best schools" - are you looking for schools that have the best scores, the highest incomes, the biggest endowments, in the most expensive neighborhoods ... or the schools that are best for your particular kids?
I'm looking for schools that offer the most advanced classes (AP, not IB; you cannot receive college credit for IB, which I would prefer my child to receive) and best teachers in the area. I prefer if the school as a whole is strong, but it is also ok if it is a magnet school were there is a specialized program and a small studious group do phenomenally.

Some may say that just because a school offers advanced classes doesn't mean my child will take them or necessarily do well, but my bf and I both took 11 APs each throughout our 4 years in HS and graduated top of our classes; I am hoping they should be able to do similarly, assuming the child is healthy and ok. I'd prefer the school to be in a safe location, but if it was a top magnet school in an iffy area but was #1, I would still send them there. I went to a top magnet middle school, and it was in a mediocre area, but I still had the best middle school education in the city.

It's not important to me they are surrounded by all wealthy people, etc. I care most about the quality of their education and building a strong foundation for college. What I DON'T want is that they start to think billionaires are the norm, and that they are "poor" or "below average" because there are a bunch of billionaires at their school (this is largely true of many students at top prep east coast schools).

Last edited by soci3tycat; 05-03-2013 at 10:53 AM..

Old 05-03-2013, 10:36 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Are your posts based on what you plan to do 3-5 years from now? Where you'll raise your children and schools ten years from now? Your opinions and life circumstances could be quite different 3-5 years from now. With so many coming out of law school, you may not want to practice law when you come out. I have friends with J.D.s that have chosen a different field after they completed their degree.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I'm looking for schools that offer the most advanced classes and best teachers in the area. Some may say that just because a school offers it doesn't mean my child will take them, but my bf and I both took 11 APs throughout our 4 years in HS; they should be able to. In a safe environment would be a strong plus, but if it was a top magnet school in an iffy area but was #1, I would still send them there.
We all have different needs ... for my five kids, I purposely sought out high schools that de-empahsized AP classes and stressed excellence for all students. And, defining best teachers is another hornet's nest ... good luck on that one.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:40 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
I'm looking for schools that offer the most advanced classes and best teachers in the area. Some may say that just because a school offers it doesn't mean my child will take them, but my bf and I both took 11 APs throughout our 4 years in HS; they should be able to. In a safe environment would be a strong plus, but if it was a top magnet school in an iffy area but was #1, I would still send them there.
But you don't have kids yet, right?
Life has a way of throwing one curveballs. What if your child turns out to be a slow learner? Or a creative sort who is not academically oriented? Believe me, kids don't always follow their parents in how they learn or how capable they are academically. My son was a really mediocre student all the way through high school. And then he just excelled in college. Don't ask me why. Some people are just ready at different ages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area