Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 11:15 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
lol...this is true. I have dated quite a few hotties here. But what I was saying is that it takes an aggressive guy to get there! In CA if your cute, dress okay your in with more women than you can handle. A friend of mine who was always good with the ladies, told me that he would actually avoid eye contact with girls because when ever he didnt the women would be all over him. Now granted he was very attractive , so my girlfriends told me...but still? I dont think Seattle is like that?
Seattle is definitely not like CA. But all "aggressive" means, in comparison to the eye-contact pick-ups you describe, is saying "hello". Since most guys in Seattle are pretty shut down about approaching women, it doesn't take much to get their attention. Just be friendly. In CA, that comes naturally to people. For some reason in Seattle, it doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 01:51 PM

1,600 posts, read 938,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
CA is too big for a statement like that. San Francisco was in the low 60's at the same time
Wow... you're a genius. Read the entire thread please.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:01 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Seattle is definitely not like CA. But all "aggressive" means, in comparison to the eye-contact pick-ups you describe, is saying "hello". Since most guys in Seattle are pretty shut down about approaching women, it doesn't take much to get their attention. Just be friendly. In CA, that comes naturally to people. For some reason in Seattle, it doesn't.
When it comes to approaching chicks, I'd rather take Seattle or California than the damn East Coast where you either have to act like a guido/swaggin/thuggin caveman or a preppy/yuppie/fratty/hipster douchebag just to get attention. And for the love of God, don't be the wrong race, religion, or class and try to "step outside your place" out East.

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 05-16-2013 at 03:52 PM..

Old 05-16-2013, 03:48 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times
Your entire post in its entirety was "I was driving through Death Valley yesterday and it was 113...California has the worst weather ever."

If you are going to make a generalization like that, don't get bent out of shape if people call you out on it. Even going back 6 pages, it still doesn't make sense.

But I now understand the complaints I see about Seattle people being passive agressive.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:26 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metoque View Post
Wow... you're a genius. Read the entire thread please.
You're not worth any more of my time. I already want the two minutes back I wasted but such is life.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:28 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
Your entire post in its entirety was "I was driving through Death Valley yesterday and it was 113...California has the worst weather ever."

If you are going to make a generalization like that, don't get bent out of shape if people call you out on it. Even going back 6 pages, it still doesn't make sense.

But I now understand the complaints I see about Seattle people being passive agressive.
Thank you I wasn't even willing to give it that much attention.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:22 PM

19 posts, read 35,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
I've been here just about six months. I don't miss California, per se, but I do miss the familiarity, and the feeling of knowing where I stand. Sometimes I feel very alien here, and it's not just 'cause I'm wearing flip-flops in the rain. Seattle is very different in almost every way - geography, climate, temperaments, vibe, possibly even politics. If you are a direct or open person, the passive-aggressive nature of some of the people here may make your eye twitch once in a while. It's not what I would call a "laid back" city.

Fitting in shouldn't be a problem, but if fit is extremely important to you, I'd recommend looking at homes on the Eastside. It seems like other Californians feel more comfortable there. In my opinion, the city and its surrounding neighborhoods are probably for Californians with thicker skin. The only city neighborhood where I feel really comfortable and more like myself is West Seattle.

THESE ARE NOT COMPLAINTS. Folks here tend to get very upset if they feel you are a transplant who is complaining. These are just my impressions and feelings so far, and I'm new. Overall I love Seattle and Washington very much, and can't imagine ever going back to the dead-brown California. We went back to L.A. last month and I was choking on the air, and the fact that it was almost 100 degrees. It's so gross there. In comparison, Seattle feels very much like when Dorothy opens the door in Oz and everything turns to color.
Seattle city is more urban, left-wing, and cosmopolitan than the suburbs, which are more right-wing and shopping mall-oriented (the Kemper Freeman empire of Bellevue Square). It would make sense for Californians to feel more at home on the Eastside since it's more conservative, suburban, and car-oriented, unless you're from San Francisco, and then inner Seattle is more like home.

Seattle and Los Angeles are shockingly different. The former is focussed on a downtown core; the latter isn't focussed on anything and everything is dispersed, requiring you to drive here and there. It seems like the psychology of people is corollary to these lifestyle trends.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
Tell me about it. The differences are pronounced from style to dating. In Los Angeles if a girl likes you she will run right up on you and let you know. Out here they play this weird game. I guess alot of it has to do with culture as well.

I will be honest. Ive been and lived in Arizona, Nevada, California and I like this place the least. You cant move here without family and make friends. Especially if your different. It can also be flattering place for a man if your good-looking , since women arent used to men dressing up , and getting decked out.

Also not to sound racist but Seattle is extremely WHITE. There are pockets of resistance but not what I am used to. The Asians are way different than the ones in LA. They are mainly chinese. Also it seems like no one dresses up here...so I might be a little over dressed? Latinos are a rare site, especially American borne ones. The ones Ive met up here I have zero in common with.
Actually, Seattle is about 69% white and the national average is about the same. So, if Seattle is so white, so is the United States as a whole. But we never hear people going around saying "America is so white". Doesn't it seem normal that a city should reflect the national average? Why shouldn't it? Why should suburbs all be white and cities all minorities?

I think most Americans just aren't used to living in cities with representative white populations in them, because most American cities have seen significant white flight--white people fleeing to the suburbs due to the influx of minorities. Seattle hasn't seen as much of this. In Seattle, white people still live in the inner-city, walk on the sidewalks, and ride the bus alongside minorities.

The city also has a higher percentage of mixed-race people than most U.S. cities.

Where, then, lies the racism?

Old 05-17-2013, 09:43 PM

52 posts, read 290,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Hey, I'm a Seattlite that has done business trips to California. I can tell you from experience that there isn't much difference between us eccept maybe Californian's are a little friendlier. The big defference is between East Coasters and West Coasters.
When Californians are friendlier there's a problem... Today I was driving 32mph in a 25mph zone. This old guy was laying on his horn. Finally he goes around me and yells, "Speed up A**Hole!" I wish I can say that is out of the ordinary.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:47 PM

"Latin" isn't a race. You can be Latin and be of any race. Penelope Cruz is Latina, and she is most certainly a white lady. Likewise, Dominicans are Latin, and many of them are black. It has nothing to do with race.

Hence, you can't really talk about "interracial marriage between whites and Latins".

Perhaps what you're talking about is mestizo, which simply means mixed-race? Many Latin people in the New World also happen to be mestizo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area