Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 11:13 AM

366 posts, read 644,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I'm sure you meant 180 but yes I agree completely. Seattle and LA differ right down to how people look at one another especially about race. LA is rather tense racially, remember Rodney King? To the best of my knowledge Seattle has not had anything like that, at least in recent history.
Can you elaborate? how do people view each other on race here. People need to understand that as far as race is concerned Seattle might be the only place in America that doesn't have deep seated racial attitudes and culture. This in my view is because Seattle is playing catch up to what the South, East Coast, West Coast has always had. Black neighborhoods, Latino neighborhoods, white neighborhoods.

I've lived in the entire Southwest and race is ever present. In dating, where you live, what clubs you go to, who your friends are, and unless your a strong willed individual going outside that box is very difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 11:15 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,370,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
Yes I sure do remember Rodney King, I was a boy, but I remember seeing Long Beach go up in flames. The DMV my sister worked at was burnt to the ground. The 5 square miles around my home were some of the worst hit in California along with what happened in South Central.

I mentioned in another post that those race issues aren't present here, because minorities really are minorities , when you leave the city limits, and that "race riots" haven't happened in recent memory. Seattle has all races mixed up, living near each other, which for me anyway was strange. Every other state I've been to, leaving the Latino side and entering the black/white side was very evident. Entering the wrong club in any of those places could get you beat up.

This goes back to how intertwined Latino/white culture is in SOCAL. The working class of Latinos/whites mix in big numbers, which has only happened with other ethnic whites in this country. For instance Italians, Irish, Poles, Russians and British all combining to make a new race of European back grounded people called Americans. Now for whatever reason working class people seem to be more racist and less accepting of certain people. Gays, Blacks, illegals. In SOCAL that working class is Latino and white. Which makes it even more weird.

In massive numbers they have married and bred with each other both the male and female versions of those races, which has helped in not creating strife when it comes to mixing like Asian Female-White Male and Black Male-White Female. Your just as likely to see a Latino male and white female as vice versa.

Seattle is progressive in that race is secondary in alot of regards to what you look like or what your annual income is. Im still trying to wrap my head around how this place views issues like race, because it is so foreign to me to have it not be an issue, at least not to my face.

From watching movies about New Yorks Italians neighborhoods, its the only way I can describe SOCAL. Clannish and racist and middle income. Except you replaced the Italians with Blue Collar whites/latinos. Bronx Tale, Jungle Fever, Good Fellas, Crooklyn.
The Latino/white thing is more SoCal. In most of the Bay Are it's an Asian/White thing. You think Seattle is well mixed, try Oakland where you have rich blacks in the hills with rich whites and Asians and poor whites in the flats with poor latinos and blacks. the middle class areas are truly mixed. Seattle would likely be the same way if it had a higher minority population. Seattle is, like you said, one of those cities where race is looked at in a secondary way and that's perhaps what I like most about Seattle.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:39 AM

366 posts, read 644,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The Latino/white thing is more SoCal. In most of the Bay Are it's an Asian/White thing. You think Seattle is well mixed, try Oakland where you have rich blacks in the hills with rich whites and Asians and poor whites in the flats with poor latinos and blacks. the middle class areas are truly mixed. Seattle would likely be the same way if it had a higher minority population. Seattle is, like you said, one of those cities where race is looked at in a secondary way and that's perhaps what I like most about Seattle.
According to the census 75% of all interracial couples in California had 1 hispanic partner. The rest was between Asian Females-White males and some black-white. What I seen was represntative of what is really happening in California.

Seattle predominately has white-asian couples. Rarely do I see an Asian male with a white female. I should paraphrase that to say Asian Females with White Males.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:01 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,370,812 times
I hope I'm still single when I finally move to Seattle as I would really like to try the dating environment there. almost all my relationships except one has been with a white female. For what ever reason I just seem to click the best with them. Statistically it should have been hard for me in San Diego but I had moderate success there. While I love the Bay Area, the women here get on my nerves so I would likely move to the Northwest a single person.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:49 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,478,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
Can you elaborate? how do people view each other on race here. People need to understand that as far as race is concerned Seattle might be the only place in America that doesn't have deep seated racial attitudes and culture. This in my view is because Seattle is playing catch up to what the South, East Coast, West Coast has always had. Black neighborhoods, Latino neighborhoods, white neighborhoods.

I've lived in the entire Southwest and race is ever present. In dating, where you live, what clubs you go to, who your friends are, and unless your a strong willed individual going outside that box is very difficult.
Have you considered living in lower West Seattle, near White Center? It seems like you would be quite comfortable there.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:01 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,559,491 times
Another typical Seattle racist discussion. Some people never change.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:36 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,920,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Another typical Seattle racist discussion. Some people never change.
That's some good introspection, evergray!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area