Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 03:38 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,022,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_im_sean View Post
I currently live in Philadelphia and feel so out of place. Mainly i cant stand the majority of the people that live here. Call me a jerk, but im being honest.
What are people like in Philadelphia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 08:55 AM

164 posts, read 429,320 times
Outspoken. Very nice or a total jerk. After a while the jerks wear you down.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:58 AM

413 posts, read 787,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista Bella View Post
That scares the hell outta me. I'm contemplating a move to Seattle. As a young graduate without years of experience, I'll need an entry level job.

Someone please tell me I don't have to be over 40 with years of job experience. Should I cross Seattle off my list
You don't do have to do much more than check Craigslist posting to see that's an exaggeration. Seattle has a lot of entry-level professional jobs outside of the tech field. Seattle's not a huge finance town, but Russell Investments is a major financial services firm with over 2,000 employees and they're headquartered right downtown. There are other regional bank headquarters as well (Chase, Wells Fargo, etc.), Vulcan Capital, and Sharebuilder's corporate HQ.

Boston probably has more finance jobs than Seattle. San Francisco and New York will definitely have more, but of course the cost of living and tax burden in those places is much higher than in Seattle.

I wouldn't cross Seattle off your list yet. I'd check out the job boards and see if you find anything that looks promising.

Good luck.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:38 PM

7 posts, read 8,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bowen View Post
You don't do have to do much more than check Craigslist posting to see that's an exaggeration. Seattle has a lot of entry-level professional jobs outside of the tech field. Seattle's not a huge finance town, but Russell Investments is a major financial services firm with over 2,000 employees and they're headquartered right downtown. There are other regional bank headquarters as well (Chase, Wells Fargo, etc.), Vulcan Capital, and Sharebuilder's corporate HQ.

Boston probably has more finance jobs than Seattle. San Francisco and New York will definitely have more, but of course the cost of living and tax burden in those places is much higher than in Seattle.

I wouldn't cross Seattle off your list yet. I'd check out the job boards and see if you find anything that looks promising.

Good luck.
This sounds better. Thank you

Old 05-24-2013, 08:39 PM

366 posts, read 642,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Definitely over hyped. If you're not in the tech business, and are unwilling to be bounced around from company to company as a "contractor," then this area is not for you. From a transplant's perspective: it's over priced, traffic sucks, the job market isn't nearly as good as the "Seattle flag wavers" will have you believe, traffic really is that bad, weather is even worse (seriously, I can't wait to get back out of here), and the majority of people are unfriendly and xenophobic.

Just to be clear, I am not struggling financially be any means, in fact I will probably take a pay cut to move away from here, but it's definitely worth it for me. I can't see living here any longer than I have to.
AMEN. I dont hate this place but I feel a hollow pit in my chest when I wake up and its raining for the 20th day straight. The reason you make alot of money here is because it takes alot of money to keep people here. I would rather lived in the middle bracket than upper income anywhere but here.

I am fed up with 200 days of rain a year.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:48 PM

872 posts, read 2,023,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
AMEN. I dont hate this place but I feel a hollow pit in my chest when I wake up and its raining for the 20th day straight. The reason you make alot of money here is because it takes alot of money to keep people here. I would rather lived in the middle bracket than upper income anywhere but here.

I am fed up with 200 days of rain a year.
I hear I-90 leads to some sunny places! You should check it out.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,730,313 times
Quote:
xenophobic.
I've never understood regions like this. Vermont is the same way. It boggles my mind that little ol' Pittsburgh is more progressive and tolerant than these states that are known for being progressive and tolerant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_im_sean View Post
I admit my flaws, i'm the same way. I like the mostly white populous. I like overcast and moderate temps with lush green suroundings. I could do with a bit more sun and warmth but So far Seattle sounds damn near perfect for a man of European descent like me with a slight arrogant side. I've never been to Seattle but the people there sound like me, the good and the bad parts of them. I currently live in Philadelphia and feel so out of place. Mainly i cant stand the majority of the people that live here. Call me a jerk, but im being honest.
Seattle sounds like a good match for you. No sarcasm. I'm being honest.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:49 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,556,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
I hear I-90 leads to some sunny places! You should check it out.
Yeah, it leads all the way to Boston actually. Longest Interstate in the country.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:02 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,556,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
I think it's overhyped in terms of how it's proposed as a mecca for people in their 20s. I think that image is geared mostly toward hipsters and Seattle is definitely a great place for hipsters. Magazines and articles make it sound like this is an uber hippie city, but real hippies can't afford to live here. This is not a city full of entry-level jobs, unless you're in the medical or IT fields. Look at job postings for a lowly $13/hr administrative assistant job and it's not uncommon to see "must have 3+ years of experience" written in the ad. Because Seattle employers can afford to be picky like that. Nightlife is not spectacular out here compared to many other large, urban centers. Before I came, I thought this was going to be a city full of bustling 20-somethings crowding the shops and streets. I see more people who appear to be 40+, even in Capitol Hill or Fremont.

I would say Seattle is most ideal for established empty nesters who have years of management experience under their belt or want to retire here. Lots of parks for walking and beautiful, modest houses with gardens that the older crowd likes. I think Seattle would be a great place to raise a kid, if you can afford to live here.

Despite all that, I'm not unhappy here. I might have been a little upset but the climate and scenery is what keeps me here.

If you are a college grad looking to get into that granola Pacific NW lifestyle, I would recommend Portland. It's slightly younger, more compact, cheaper, and seemingly way more hippie.

ONe good thing I will point out about Seattle, though, is that because there are more transplants than native Seattlites it can sometimes be easier to make friends due to transplants like me who make more of an effort to join Meetup groups. It's better than being somewhere where everyone is native and already has their own network of friends.
NYC is the mecca for 20-somethings, bar none...if you can afford it. It's practically all transplants and people hungry to make connections. Seattle makes a valiant effort though and perhaps punches a little above it's weight class since it's the defacto capital of the PNW.

I agree though, small town mentality where everybody already has all the friends they need and want makes for pathetically boring social dynamics.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:13 AM

895 posts, read 1,698,301 times
Quote:
Hence the two side of the same coin. Neither side is tolerant of other points of view, although if I'm honest, liberals appear to be even less tolerant. The myths of the "tolerant" liberal and "intolerant" conservative are outdated, both are equally intolerant of various things; only difference being the liberals have media on their side patting them on the back constantly.
Rep
I have noticed this dynamic for as long as I've paid attention to the cultural climate of various places. Portland is even more guilty of this concept and you can tell by the sanctimonious demeanor of the residents. For people that claim to be so incredibly tolerant, I find it sickening how much extreme liberals belittle people who are devoutly religious. I am not even religious but I have witnessed this and this it's awfully ironic how they behave this way. God forbid you have a differing opinion on gay marriage, abortion, etc, you're in for a whipping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area